Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Saving on a PC Engine Duo...?

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:48 pm

How to you save data for the CD based games? Is there internal memory or a lithium battery of some sort? Memory cards? I'm going to start buying CD RPGs soon so I want to make sure I know what I'm doing.

Funny thing is, I have a boxed system with the instructions, but my Japanese teacher is borrowing them! :lol:
Majors
128-bit

Re: Saving on a PC Engine Duo...?

by Majors Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:59 am

Duo (and TG-16 CD-ROM) have internal memory. Don't know about a battery or not, but I've not had issues with mine for 20 years.

TG-16 and PCE Core need an attachment for save. There is a "Tennokoe Bank Card" to back-up your internal save data(it has 4x the space), but you cannot save directly to if from games.
elabit
24-bit

by elabit Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:43 pm

There is a large capacitor that recharges when you have the system on. You are supposed to turn your system on about once every two weeks to keep the save files but I've gone longer and haven't had issues. You should be playing your PCE enough to not have problems. If you do you need more games to keep playing :)
If you memory gets full you can transfer the data to a Tennokoe Bank hu card. I usually send all my data to mine like all of my high scores and rpgs I'm done with and just use the internal memory for games I'm currently playing.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks guys, I had been looking at those Tennokoe Bank Cards but it sounds like I don't need them if I have a PC Engine Duo, huh?

Now I'm curious though... what's the attachment that you need for the American TurboGrafx-16? And what HuCards even have a save feature (anything besides Neutopia 1/2?).
elabit
24-bit

by elabit Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Yeah You probably don't need a tonnokoe bank card to be honest unless you are playing a bunch of rpgs. If you need to you can always clear out old saves to make more space. Some hu cards will save high scores automatically like some of the caravan shooters like Final Soldier. Most Hu cards use passwords.
The attachements on for the TG16 are to add composite video with a TurboBooster and the TurboBooster plus ads a sav feature as well. There is also a Tennokoe bank which attaches to the back of a core grafx that adds av out and save too. If you have a PCE Duo then you're set though.
For a while I was using a PCE duo for Japanese games and cd games and a TG16 for like Neutopia but then I just got my Duo region modded and ditched the TG16 so now I can play Neutopia and save it on my Duo. The TurboBooster+ is a big waste of money.
Return to Other Platforms