Games not meant to be scary, thet end up being pretty creepy

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Blurz
16-bit

Games not meant to be scary, thet end up being pretty creepy

Post by Blurz »

I was just thinking of this when playing through psychonauts again for some reason. What are games that end up being creepy/messed up unintentionally? I'm not talking about stuff like "OMG! Fallout 3 so scawy!" or "MAWIO PIANO!" stuff, more along the lines of the game being unsettling in it's entirety.

I hope that makes sense.
Sideroller
128-bit

Re: Games not meant to be scary, thet end up being pretty creepy

Post by Sideroller »

Minecraft always manages to scare me somehow despite the graphics. I've jumped in my seat many times just from turning around and seeing creepers staring at you only to be blown up or having arrows suddenly shot at you. Weird how that is.
AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

Post by AznKhmerBoi »

:lol: :lol:

seriously though i think tekken games ending (mashima family ).
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Half Life 2, and Half Life. I was going to also say Ecco but I think that was intended to be atmospheric and creepy.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Blurz wrote:I was just thinking of this when playing through psychonauts again for some reason.

That reason would be the Meat Circus level, right?
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Blurz
16-bit

Post by Blurz »

Yeah, one of many lol. The character designs also make me a little uneasy for some reason.

Asked a friend this question, he said the Ape Escape games freak him out :lol:
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Half Life 2, and Half Life. I was going to also say Ecco but I think that was intended to be atmospheric and creepy.

Oh man, I still need to get back to Ecco 2 and finish that one. But yes, after finishing the first game earlier this year... WOW, talk about out there and weird as hell. Starts off really nice and cute but bam. I don't want to say more for anyone else either, it's a very weird and awesome experience to get through that entire game for sure.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Xeogred wrote:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Half Life 2, and Half Life. I was going to also say Ecco but I think that was intended to be atmospheric and creepy.

Oh man, I still need to get back to Ecco 2 and finish that one. But yes, after finishing the first game earlier this year... WOW, talk about out there and weird as hell. Starts off really nice and cute but bam. I don't want to say more for anyone else either, it's a very weird and awesome experience to get through that entire game for sure.

Oh for sure. Those crazy Hungarian's sure knew how to make an interesting game :lol:. Ecco 2 is IMO better than the first in every way. I don't think it's quite as difficult either.

The music is even better too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Dcd-0- ... ideo_title
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
KingDavid73
16-bit

Post by KingDavid73 »

I was actually thinking about this a while back. I was going to make a video of like 'Top 10 unintentionally scary video game moments' or something.

My #1 would have to be the yeti in Ski-Free. That thing always scared the crap out of me.

Also the Game Gear / Master System Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos. They just had a creepy vibe.

ooh! and Magic Carpet (PC / Saturn)
"If less is more, just think how much more MORE would be!"

Gaming systems - Sears Super Pong, Coleco Telstar, Radofin Telesports Mini, 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Commodore 64, Mattel Aquarius, 7800, NES, SMS, TG16, Genesis, Game Gear, Sega CD, Sega 32X, SNES, Neo Geo CD, Saturn, PSX, N64, Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, PSP, Xbox 360, Gaming PC
gennss
128-bit

Post by gennss »

Berserk, Gyromite, and Metroid were always scary to me.
--
Gennss
--