Coleco Issues

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Gooseberrysoda
128-bit

Coleco Issues

Post by Gooseberrysoda »

Hey, evrybody. I'm having some issues with my Colecovision- regardless of which cartridge I put in, text is non-sensical and the games themselves have glitchy visuals- everything seems scrambled. Any advice?
Sega Genesis (Model 2), Sega CD, Sega 32X, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Game Boy Family, Phillips CD-i Model 910, NES, Atari 5200, Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar, Playstations 3-4
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Re: Coleco Issues

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Clean the cartridge slot.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

That, and clean your cartridges.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Duke.Togo
128-bit

Post by Duke.Togo »

Can be a dirty, bad power switch. Unfortunately a common problem with the Coleco.
Gooseberrysoda
128-bit

Post by Gooseberrysoda »

The Cart and Port are guaranteed clean, I spent a looong time cleaning them.
Duke.Togo wrote:Can be a dirty, bad power switch. Unfortunately a common problem with the Coleco.
Any way to fix it?
Sega Genesis (Model 2), Sega CD, Sega 32X, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Game Boy Family, Phillips CD-i Model 910, NES, Atari 5200, Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar, Playstations 3-4
Bikeage
128-bit

Post by Bikeage »

Not poked around my Colecovision in a while, but pretty sure I was able to take the switch apart and clean it, and it may be easily replaceable, as I believe the console was made with common off the shelf parts.
Gooseberrysoda
128-bit

Post by Gooseberrysoda »

Bikeage wrote:Not poked around my Colecovision in a while, but pretty sure I was able to take the switch apart and clean it, and it may be easily replaceable, as I believe the console was made with common off the shelf parts.

I'm sort of an idiot when it comes to these things. Now, I did take it apart to see if anything was glaringly obviously wrong, but nothing was, so I closed it back up. What should I be looking for, and what should I do?
Duke.Togo
128-bit

Post by Duke.Togo »

Follow this guide: http://www.colecovision.dk/PDF/power%20switch.pdf

You can try just spraying some cleaner in there and moving it back and forth vigorously if you're not up for desoldering. Or you can just replace it.
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Post by ApolloBoy »

It could also be a symptom of bad RAM as well, which is another common issue with the CV. A great console, but not so great build quality.
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
G-Darius
32-bit

Post by G-Darius »

I agree with the Ram,otherwise its bad voltage supply due to bad connections,capacitors and the like.