All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is getting a Neo-Geo worth it?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:02 pm 
Next-Gen

dunpeal2064 wrote:
:shock:

It is TOTALLY possible to get an AES for $100, if you know where to look. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:23 am 
16-bit

it all depends how serious you are about these games.

For me, I love many of the neo-geo games so much, that I wont settle for anything but the best way to play them. There are console ports, but they aren't the same resolution, have midstage loading, poor emulation, and even input lag at times. Mame is great, but you never really appreciate these games until you're playing them with proper sticks with no lag on a 240p rgb crt running the original hardware.

It can get pricey, and I would never spend the money for a cmvs or an aes. But I was willing to learn and put in the labour to build my own 2slot cmvs. Only cost me $150 total, and now I can buy the cheap and plentiful mvs carts.

In short, if you truly love these games, go for it. If not, save your money for something that you do love.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:17 am 
Next-Gen

kingbuzzo wrote:
It can get pricey, and I would never spend the money for a cmvs or an aes. But I was willing to learn and put in the labour to build my own 2slot cmvs. Only cost me $150 total, and now I can buy the cheap and plentiful mvs carts.

So where did you end up getting your MVS?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:09 am 
Site Admin

I just bought a new 4 slot board, because my old one died, with Metal Slug and Aero Fighters 2 for $200 shipped with insurance. That makes 11 MVS games and the most I paid for one is $50 - Metal Slug. If the board had not died, I would only be in this for $450 total. Now that sounds like alot, especially since I am only soso on fighting games, but Aero Fighters 2 is in my top three favorite verts - It was the first shmup I ever 1cced, way back in college.

Its true, most of the best games on the platform are fighting games. But it is also true that some of the best games on the console are shooters. That and The Super Spy is just cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--LWdKFf4Ag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:33 pm 
Next-Gen

fastbilly1 wrote:
I just bought a new 4 slot board, because my old one died, with Metal Slug and Aero Fighters 2 for $200 shipped with insurance. That makes 11 MVS games and the most I paid for one is $50 - Metal Slug. If the board had not died, I would only be in this for $450 total. Now that sounds like alot, especially since I am only soso on fighting games, but Aero Fighters 2 is in my top three favorite verts - It was the first shmup I ever 1cced, way back in college.

Someone else that digs Aero Fighters 2/Sonic Wings 2. Yay!

Who doesn't like using a dolphin to pilot a fighter jet through modern Kyoto while mechanical building come alive and try to destroy you? It's a fairly simplistic game, but it is good fun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Breetai wrote:
Someone else that digs Aero Fighters 2/Sonic Wings 2. Yay!

Who doesn't like using a dolphin to pilot a fighter jet through modern Kyoto while mechanical building come alive and try to destroy you? It's a fairly simplistic game, but it is good fun.

It may be simplistic in compared to some other verts, but it is a mess of fun. I am going to get a copy of 3, but I am going to have to sit on it a bit so I can get it for cheaper than $60. Other than that, Alpha Mission 2, and Strikers 1945, I dont know of any other decent verts on the MVS. Do you?

Sadly the three fighters I want are fairly expensive so it will be a while before I can get them:
Last Blade 2, SVC Chaos, and Waku Waku 7
I dont like paying over $50 for a game, and for some reason all the Wakus I have seen in the past couple months are full kit and $200+.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:53 pm 
Next-Gen

Breetai wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:

Is the neo region free? And if so, where should I be looking? :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

alienjesus wrote:
Breetai wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:

Is the neo region free? And if so, where should I be looking? :wink:

Neo carts are region free. It will display the games in the language of your console though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:55 pm 
Next-Gen

I have never played Aero Fighters 2, but I love the sfc port of the first game, and the saturn "Sonic Wings Special"

Aero Fighters 2/3 would be one of the main reasons I'd get into ng. That and pulstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:57 pm 

fastbilly1 wrote:
Neo carts are region free. It will display the games in the language of your console though.

And there is a custom BIOS you can install on an AES that lets you select the language of your console on boot time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next