Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Marked

Problem with a Panasonic 3do FZ-1

by Marked Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:38 am

Ok, I've been searching around for 2 days looking for a solution. All I seem to find is how to repair the 3do if the drive isn't working. My drive and tray seem to be working fine, but I cannot get any audio or video.

Using RCA inputs - when turned on the screen on the TV goes from being solid black to having very faint, jumpy white lines

Using RF to hook up to TV - same as RCA inputs

Using an s-video cable to hook up to TV - no noticeble difference in the screen on the TV with the 3do powered on or off

If anyone has any suggestions or help of any kind, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Problem with a Panasonic 3do FZ-1

by CRTGAMER Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:53 am

Marked wrote:Ok, I've been searching around for 2 days looking for a solution. All I seem to find is how to repair the 3do if the drive isn't working. My drive and tray seem to be working fine, but I cannot get any audio or video.

Using RCA inputs - when turned on the screen on the TV goes from being solid black to having very faint, jumpy white lines

Using RF to hook up to TV - same as RCA inputs

Using an s-video cable to hook up to TV - no noticeble difference in the screen on the TV with the 3do powered on or off

If anyone has any suggestions or help of any kind, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Welcome to Racketboy!
Usually I would first suspect the cable, but you tried RF, Composite and SVideo. It seems like you do have the right connection with the jumpy lines. If the contacts for the video connections in the console are clean, maybe something internal? Pop the cover off and take a look at the capacitors. Capacitors are like a rechargeable battery, eventually they will fail. Look for any that have a swelled dome or corrosion seeping out. An easy two solder point connection.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Hatta
Next-Gen

Re: Problem with a Panasonic 3do FZ-1

by Hatta Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:43 am

Yeah, unfortunately the 3do is uncommon enough that the usual failure modes aren't well documented. You'll pretty much have to open it up and inspect the components. Like CRT said, capacitors are a prime suspect. You can't always see the damage to them however. Replace the bigger caps first, and if that doesn't work, replace the rest. It's a good idea to bridge the terminals of the caps with a wire or low value resistor to dischage it before you desolder them. You don't want any stored charge to get discharged into the board accidentally.

Check all the solder points on the board too for scorching, or cracked solder. A magnifying glass will be a big help. Reflow any solder joints that look unusual. Use an ohmmeter to check resistors.

There's some info on troubleshooting the power supply here. It does involve poking around a live machine with a voltimeter though, be careful. Even though your machine powers up, it could still be the supply if the 9v is good and the 5v is bad, or vice versa.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Return to Other Platforms