Story of Programming 3DO DOOM (Dev Video)

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Ack

Re: Story of Programming 3DO DOOM (Dev Video)

Post by Ack »

Well, so...who wants to talk about DOOM?
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Ack wrote:Well, so...who wants to talk about DOOM?

Digital Foundry Retro's video about DOOM ports is pretty good, if folks are looking for more looks at the older versions.
Really, that whole subchannel is pretty great.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I'm not sure if I'm the only one on the site among the more regular posters, but I am at least one of our trans members. I hadn't had a chance to look at this thread until today, but I gotta second Bogus' statement: Mad love, Elkin, Maru, and Popo <3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
marurun

Post by marurun »

So, I was finally able to watch the video, and I really appreciated the insights contained therein. It's kinda neat to look at programming tricks and see how disparate platforms with unique limitations attempt to accomplish the same thing.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I'm not sure if I'm the only one on the site among the more regular posters, but I am at least one of our trans members. I hadn't had a chance to look at this thread until today, but I gotta second Bogus' statement: Mad love, Elkin, Maru, and Popo <3

Hey! Lots of love coming your way for talking openly about yourself.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I'm not sure if I'm the only one on the site among the more regular posters, but I am at least one of our trans members. I hadn't had a chance to look at this thread until today, but I gotta second Bogus' statement: Mad love, Elkin, Maru, and Popo <3

Shit, really? Should I have known that? Did you tell me and I just forgot? Cause I definitely did not know that. :shock:
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

When I first ran across this, I was thinking "wow, I can't believe I hadn't heard of this prolific female programmer from this earlier stage in the game industry." For example, I was aware of Dona Bailey (Centipede, Atari) due her being an industry pioneer and role model for women aspiring to work in software/programming/tech. Rebecca not being seen/known as woman at that time in her life and career explains why I often heard 3DO Doom was ported "by one guy."

Tanooki did point out why that is, even if not gracefully, so the information did add to the thread and 3DO Doom discussion as it relates to this port and the story in that fashion.

He's personally entitled to his opinion on this even if it goes against definitions, etc. If it is Nick & mods official stance any one not voice that mindset openly, then that's the line not to be crossed.

I love everyone. Here comes my "I have a friend story..." :P

In all seriousness, I had a buddy in grad school with an openly gay roommate who was also his best friend. This was not extremely common for a 20 year old male at a conservative Texas/southern university almost a decade ago. We all became close friends over a couple years and took several road trips as a group. That time in my life & friendship really opened my eyes to several things. No, I am not placing Trans & gay in the same category, but I am stating that I learned from that series of life experiences; just because I don't personally understand something a person does or identities themselves with doesn't mean that I can't love that person. Of course, there are lines I draw personally for even trying to understand some of the bad people out there (unrelated to the side discussion at hand here).

Back to Doom!

nightrnr wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:@nightrnr, you're always adding to my project list :lol:. I forgot I originally had trouble getting PS2 Doom running. I think I had too much junk on my flash drive causing it to crash.

Also, have you played DoomX on your modded xbox? It's DOOM, Ultimate, II, Final Plutonia, Final Evilution.

The PS2 port isn't anything amazing, just a simple (but effective) port that I had a good time with. It shouldn't be too tricky to get going, but yes, a clean usb might help.

Haven't tried the Xbox one yet. The version on Doom 3 was good enough for me at the time. But it would be nice for custom wads if it allows (a feature that would trump the PS2).

I know the DoomX port allows for mods because there's a "view active mods" or something of the sorts in the menu for each game. I'm running the stock package that came with the DL.

It's pretty slick. I haven't played all the way through it but it appears to be the PC port from the detail (computers showing planets, words, etc) and level size (larger maps) I did play.

Ok, getting the PS2 port running is on my 2018 project list now!

@isiolia, I'll check out that video thanks.

I'll try to run 3DO Doom within FreeDO emulator this weekend if I don't get too distracted. I'll report back for anyone else without a 3DO console and is interested in trying the port. The control turns being "on an arch" sounds interesting. This can ruin a racing game for me (throw you into a wall if you hold turn too long) but it could be interesting in Doom.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'm actually not entitled to my opinion, I was banned for 24hours because I don't follow the group think.

It is fascinating though as you said. It is hard to find stuff as you said when things change as it's harder to track down the source. It can be anything from that to just IPs changing hands, companies going under, other stuff drying up.

Either way it's a sublime piece of work done making that work given the pile of roadblocks involved.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Tanooki wrote:I'm actually not entitled to my opinion, I was banned for 24hours because I don't follow the group think.

You were banned for disrespectful and transphobic language. You can hold whatever opinion you want inside your head. It was one thing to point out Rebecca used to be Bill, but quite another to state you don’t have to respect Rebecca’s identity.

And that is the end of that particular discussion. If anyone wants to get back to 3DO Doom I think we will have to have a new thread.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.