Help with PS1 Game Burns - CDR, x Speed, Software, & Drive

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Ziggy

Re: Help with PS1 Game Burns - CDR, x Speed, Software, & Dri

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:I'm going to DL the latest ImgBurn ( 2.5.8 )

If you download it from the official ImgBurn website, it includes Open Candy, which is PUP/Adware. It's possible to install it without installing the adware, but they make it intentionally tricky.

You can download ImgBurn 2.5.8 form the official mirror on Softpedia and it does not include Open Candy, so I suggest you grab it from there so you don't have to mess around with it.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-To ... Burn.shtml
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Well crap.... I read this after I installed the latest ImgBurn. Sure enough... it came with 3 adware programs I had to remove. 1 of which was particularly a bear to remove. That said... I'm running the latest ImgBurn now.

I took a retail game and ripped it using my the new ASUS drive, to bin/cue. I then burned that to a Verbatim DLP Azo disk. The rip was at 10x (min) & the burn at 32x (max). Worth noting my 16x (min burn) tries last night were all failures.

Gameplay is working great, but the FMV coming off the start up munu still isn't working correctly. Gets hung up.

I am wondering if I shouldn't give one of these a run: List of compatible CD Burning Software to Burn PSX game image on Windows 10 PC

Seems unlikely it's the actual I/O of data from my PC right? There has to be a missing link. I'm like 85%-90% there. I'd think it was my PS1 systems, but they run a stack of CDRs I inherited just fine. So it's my burn method somehow.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

For the heck of it, can you download a known good image of one of the games you're having issues with? That way you can rule out if the problem is with your rip, and narrow it down to burning.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:For the heck of it, can you download a known good image of one of the games you're having issues with? That way you can rule out if the problem is with your rip, and narrow it down to burning.

Back at this project after a nuts week at work.

While I back up my own games... I'm definitely not against DLing :lol:. Does some1 want to DM me. We can take offline and arrange testing the same file.

So... considering my retail rips works fine in emulators & POPS on PS2 hardware... I'm thinking it may be something with my PC I/O with ImgBurn. Maybe I should test one of the other software programs

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

So I need to do some further testing but it looks like this burning problem may actually be tied to my PS1 systems lasers both being on their last leg.

I received 2 prestine NTSC US games from Ziggy and both are giving me hiccups on my MM3 chipped system, not the discs themselves. Need to test on my other console which has been even toucher historically.

The issue seems to vary by game, FMVs, & loading. I'm going to buy a retail copy of a CDR burn that was acting up & see if I get the same issues.

PS1 lasers don't seem to be too much of a bear to install. If this is the issue, will be a bit of a facepalm... and an entirely separate project.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Which model PS1 do you have? 7501 and up have better drives than 5501 and previous. The 1001 models have notoriously bad drives. They have FMV skipping issues and can die relatively easy compared to the other models. The 5001 and 5501 are better but can still have some issues depending on the game. IIRC, the 1001 ~ 5501 are said to have overheating issues which cause read issues and turning the console upside down can help with this.

I first played Final Fantasy VII many years after it was released. Around 2005, give or take a few years. At that time my only PS1 was a 5501. I played through the first disc just fine without any issues at all. But that PS1 would not load the second disc at all. My copy of the game was brand new, and I had no issues with any other retail game that I owned. I emailed Squaresoft technical support about the issue and to my complete surprised they actually replied back. And it wasn't even a generic copy/past reply, someone actually wrote me a response. They referenced that earlier model PS1s could have issues with the drive, and this was most likely the case being the age of it at that time. He even recommend me trying to turn the console upside down to see if that helped. It didn't, and I ended up finishing the game on my PS2 instead.

After that, I got myself a 7501 and never had any issues like that with it. 7501's are probably the best models because I've been told that they have the same drives as the 9001 (which is said to be the best aside from the PSOne) but the 7501 still has the parallel port which the 9001 removed.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

All great info Ziggy. Below are my 2 models. IIRC the 7501 was one the last model (or close) still with the parallel port, but reportedly fixing some of the original drive issues as you mentioned.

scph-7501 - using Goldfinger in parallel port. Removable obviously to go stock.

scph-5501 - MM3 chipped

I'm digging into disc drive replacement parts soon. Varies a bit by model looks like?

Add: Also really cool on the Email from Square.

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I've replaced many optical drives in consoles. It is mostly trivial, and the results have always been positive and immediate. My go-to is Rich's PSX Parts. He's quick to respond to emails with questions when I'm not sure about something - very knowledgeable. His prices have always been great as well.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Great advice Anapan. I've never heard that site/person even referenced!

I'm also seeing the PSOne console revisions are really well priced on Ebay. I may pick one of those up to be my retail game workhorse & fix the other 2 OGs.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Anapan wrote:I've replaced many optical drives in consoles. It is mostly trivial, and the results have always been positive and immediate. My go-to is Rich's PSX Parts. He's quick to respond to emails with questions when I'm not sure about something - very knowledgeable. His prices have always been great as well.

So looks like Rich's PSX part is sold out of PS1 lasers. Judging by his summary, looks like he's had some quality issues & might not get restocked.

Any other suggestions for US sellers from anyone? Lots on Ebay, but look to all be from China.