Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Carts!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
aaron
Next-Gen

Re: Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Cart

Post by aaron »

if anyone here would be willing to flash my AR card, i'd be appreciative.

does this work with the InterAct Memory Card Plus?
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
r0bot j0nes
16-bit

Post by r0bot j0nes »

Same here, would appreciate anyone flashing my ARP, especially if you're in NYC. I have a Model 2 Saturn so I'd rather not endure the hell of getting the swap trick to work.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

I have a chipped saturn, and I'd probably be willing to do the installs for people, but I'd like to flash a cart of my own first before I offer to do it for other folks. I'd hate to brick a cart that isn't mine while just trying to help someone out.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I couldn't imagine how you'd be able to brick a cart. I mean, you could potentially brick one from a bad flash. But from my understanding, the software that you use to flash the carts is run from a CD-R. So even if you had a bad flash, like the power went out in the middle of writing the new firmware, then you should be able to just start the process over again and reflash it. So even if you brick, it's not permanent. Unless I'm missing something...
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

That wouldn't be so bad then. I just tend to be careful with Saturn hardware since we all know how well it's designed (/sarcasm)
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

You think they will start selling AR Carts pre flashed?
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Mad_Hatter wrote:You think they will start selling AR Carts pre flashed?

I'm thinking the same.

Also would be AWESOME to have them together. As already said, what size was the previous/intended firmware, what size is this new firmware, can they both fit, can they run simultaneously?

Obviously would take some work from the minds behind this & the possibly software savvy community members but would be a huge development.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

I only have one question left... in some of the posts a disc patcher is mentioned. Do the iso's need to be patched before burning to work with this mod or am I misunderstanding something? Will my existing set of backups work with this as-is?
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

skate323k137 wrote:I only have one question left... in some of the posts a disc patcher is mentioned. Do the iso's need to be patched before burning to work with this mod or am I misunderstanding something? Will my existing set of backups work with this as-is?

if i read through the thread right, that was with the older version of the hack, i think the updated one fixed that. could be wrong though, been a few weeks since i looked at all this.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Wouldn't it just be easier to burn a CDR and use the swap trick to flash this yourself? You don't need a chipped Saturn to perform this mod.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys