Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Carts!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Cart

Post by stickem »

Yeah I read that also after that post lol. Works with legit ARP but of course that cheat is gone with pseudo.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I'm imagining someone going:
"Oh cool, a code that lets me play PDS with PAR, perfect"
Flashes PAR
Copies Game to discs
"Okay, now to input the code..."
"...Aww crap!"
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay... so how many save blocks does Shining Force 3 use? I'd love pick up an extra AR, flash it, and use it to play CDRs of SF3 scenario 2 & 3 translations.... unless you need all 3 game saves and that requires the cart expanded save space.

I'd still be removing the flashed AR occasionally to pop in my main AR & back up my save. I'm not crazy about taking the AR carts in & out often.

I really thought someone would've done this by now with the ability to also save in one cart. Surprised that hasn't happened.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

Jagosaurus wrote:Okay... so how many save blocks does Shining Force 3 use? I'd love pick up an extra AR, flash it, and use it to play CDRs of SF3 scenario 2 & 3 translations.... unless you need all 3 game saves and that requires the cart expanded save space.

I'd still be removing the flashed AR occasionally to pop in my main AR & back up my save. I'm not crazy about taking the AR carts in & out often.

I really thought someone would've done this by now with the ability to also save in one cart. Surprised that hasn't happened.

I've heard claims to the contrary, but AFAIK games can't directly save or load to AR.
Dragon Force suspend files totally require a backup RAM cart. Dezaemon 2 creations allow floppy disks instead.
Lum fan.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I don't think the save files are so large that you can't fit them all in the Saturn memory. That was definitely an issue in Shining Force CD, though.

You can't save directly to an AR/GameShark, but you can use it to back your saves up. In fact, I highly recommend it just for that purpose, given how relatively quickly the system's battery backup tanks.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Yeah, you can't save directly to AR. Can the AR still hold save back ups once flashed with the firmware though? I don't so.

Yeah, I must be thinking of SF CD. I might actually dive into SF3 known that I know I can experience the entire game.

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

You probably want to go with Pseudo Saturn Kai if you're going that route. The latest version appears to support the save data manager. DISREGARD
Last edited by Sarge on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Sarge wrote:You probably want to go with Pseudo Saturn Kai if you're going that route. The latest version appears to support the save data manager.

Niceeee. Happy to see that. Still surprised they haven't released an all in one cart: region, cheat, save, enable back ups/burns. Sounds like they might need a new cart all together due to size?

stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

that save data manager function was for a cart somebody was making that had an sd slot for saves and homebrews. doesn't have anything to do with the internal save manager. i can't remember why because it's been forever since looking at that thread, but for some reason it won't be possible to add direct saves
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Oh, really? Well, that sucks. I need to look more into what is and isn't supported at this point. I don't know if it's ever made quite clear which type of save managing is actually supported currently.