Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Carts!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Anthony817
128-bit

Re: Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Cart

Post by Anthony817 »

From what I think I remember being said was the actual bootloader is only 4kb in size itself, so all we need to know is how big AR and Gameshark firmwares are.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Oh, wow. This is awesome. That means I can use that spare Saturn and GS I've got without chipping it. Will definitely look into further when I get time!
fahlim003
8-bit

Post by fahlim003 »

This is an interesting development. It reminds me of an initial reason I joined this forum, seeking advice on failure of ARP cartridges: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14715

I now have a spare ARP unit so I'm going to record this new version with the pseudo firmware and see how it goes.
timemaster11
16-bit

Post by timemaster11 »

This is great news

Shining Force 3 Scenario 2 and 3, I am looking at you.
~A Blog About Video Game Collecting~

http://www.gameover-johnny.blogspot.com/
Anthony817
128-bit

Post by Anthony817 »

timemaster11 wrote:This is great news

Shining Force 3 Scenario 2 and 3, I am looking at you.

Those got translated to English too. Just burn and play. No disc swapping or region patching. All you gotta do is find a patched iso of the English version.

But you probably already know that.

I am just impatiently waiting for the firmware to have all the cheat code options and let us do direct saving to them.
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

WOW, great news here. I would definitely try this out if I didn't already have a mod chip. But it's nice to know that if my Saturn dies, I won't have to send it to SegaStyle and get it modded.

Really happy to see things be developed in the retro scene. Just fantastic.

You even got some development in a Sega Saturn flash cart like they did with the Dreamcast. It's nowhere near perfect yet, and probably expensive, but just shows you how dedicated these guys can be. It's nice to know we will have an alternative down the line once we kill all the lasers with these CD-Rs. :D
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
valthonis
8-bit

Post by valthonis »

Anyone have experience with the flashed cart on a Victor Model 1 Saturn?
Currently I have a Victor Model 1 and a USA Model 2 with modchip.

Flash the cart with the Atlas disc and it works in the Model 2, menu comes up and everything. In the Victor the Saturn screen hangs or just drops to the music player.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

valthonis wrote:Anyone have experience with the flashed cart on a Victor Model 1 Saturn?
Currently I have a Victor Model 1 and a USA Model 2 with modchip.

Flash the cart with the Atlas disc and it works in the Model 2, menu comes up and everything. In the Victor the Saturn screen hangs or just drops to the music player.

Any chance the VCD card is causing this? When the VCD card/MPEG card is inserted, and you insert a movie it kicks out the CD player momentarily. Try taking this out. Be careful, they're wedged in there tight.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
r0bot j0nes
16-bit

Post by r0bot j0nes »

I just picked up a used Saturn the other day along with an Action Replay 4MB Plus, so this is excellent news. :)

Do I need to modify my Saturn in any way to make this work, or can I just flash the cart and I'm good to go?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

As I understand it, you flash the cart from a CD-R. So you need to be able to boot from a CD-R, at least once. If you don't have a mod chip you can try the swap trick. Or, you can send your AR cart to some with with a mod chip so they can do it for you. This is how FMCB makes its way around for the PS2, so I don't see why the same can't be done for the Saturn.