Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Cart

by stickem Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:34 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:
stickem wrote:You're supposed to use the patch utility on all 4 bib/cue's for that game to work.

And that is even if burning CDs and using with a chipped Saturn or specific to Psuedo?

That compatibility list just says it doesn't work with Psuedo and it's from a dev's blog. He even using it as his example in saying only a small percentage of select titles don't work.

I was going to get this set up going primarily for the SF3 fan translations but PDS would be a big bonus. Not a huge deal, I can always emulate PDS knowing you can succesfully finish it thanks to some tips from Sarge here.

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/oth ... hing-tool/

Updates in the comments
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:08 pm

Gotcha. Makes sense, specific to Pseudo. Looks like it is needed for Alien Trilogy & Wipeout also judging by the comments.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:55 am

Jagosaurus wrote:So nightrnr, you can confirm the 3DO uses a battery versus some capacitor driven or SRAM setup?

I knew I saw this at some point. There was a save memory expansion made for the 3DO.
FZ-EM256 3DO Memory Expansion Unit
The Panasonic FZ-EM256 is a 256 KB Expandable Memory Unit that plugs into the 3DO Expansion bay on the back of the console. Released in 1994 and sold in Japan only, but is compatible with all models. It came with a Storage Manager start-up disc that is required to use the unit.

Just saw this,
Yes, 3DO uses a battery to save the SRAM, just a Sega CD and Saturn (just hard to get to). Most saves are rather small, so it seems like a lot of space.
The save expansion isn't really necessary for that system IMHO.

As for PDS, it's supposed to be like a 10 hour game or something. I'm embarrassed for not having played it yet (think I wanted to beat the other 2 games 1st and I kind of suck at them), but system memory would suffice for that one (but inadequate for Shining Force III trilogy and Dragon Force).
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Surprised we don't hear more about 3DOs that don't hold saves.

Yeah, I've never played PDS although I'm a big fan of the first two. Will likely be the first SS game I emulate once I get to that "project."

Sooo... will a save file from all 3 scenarios of SF3 go beyond what the internal battery can even handle? I am assuming you can bring save assets over between scenarios. If this is the case, would the method of swapping out ARs, one for saves, one flashed with psudeo even work? Because the AR doesn't support direct saves...

Really interested in playing CDRs of SF3 fan translations. Would like to play on my console but worried about the saving aspect. Will this only work on a chipped SS with first party memory card?

Guess the Gamers Cart would work as it handles direct saves.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Return to Archiving & Repro - Game Media