Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Carts!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Re: Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Cart

Post by skate323k137 »

stickem wrote:
skate323k137 wrote:I only have one question left... in some of the posts a disc patcher is mentioned. Do the iso's need to be patched before burning to work with this mod or am I misunderstanding something? Will my existing set of backups work with this as-is?

if i read through the thread right, that was with the older version of the hack, i think the updated one fixed that. could be wrong though, been a few weeks since i looked at all this.

Word. That would make sense.

Honestly yeah, doing the swap trick once or twice isn't that bad, but if people would rather someone flash it I'll see what I can do. I'll probably just flash my own AR 4in1 and let someone I know at work with an un-chipped saturn test if out. If that works, I'll be willing to do the installs for good members if they cover shipping.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I would think this would kill the value of chipped saturns but doesn't look like it yet according to fs threads
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

stickem wrote:I would think this would kill the value of chipped saturns but doesn't look like it yet according to fs threads

Give it time. There are still people who buy chipped PS2's even though freeMcBoot has been around for ages now.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

still curious as to if this will work on a Memory Card Plus or if it's solely designed for the AR 4-in-1 carts.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

aaron wrote:still curious as to if this will work on a Memory Card Plus or if it's solely designed for the AR 4-in-1 carts.

Seems a few got it going halfway down the page. Im looking for my mcp to try out, rather not mess with my 4n1 and sega backup cart. https://www.assemblergames.com/forums/s ... urn/page11
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

skate323k137 wrote:
stickem wrote:I would think this would kill the value of chipped saturns but doesn't look like it yet according to fs threads

Give it time. There are still people who buy chipped PS2's even though freeMcBoot has been around for ages now.

Not the same thing. A properly chipped PS2 directly loads imports and backups. No need to trick the lid sensor, swap disc, or run any homebrew.
Lum fan.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

theclaw wrote:
skate323k137 wrote:

Not the same thing. A properly chipped PS2 directly loads imports and backups. No need to trick the lid sensor, swap disc, or run any homebrew.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's not the same thing, but literally the only "issue" to me is not being able to boot legit imports. I've got no problem playing a burned copy or hdd loading them instead. There's no lid or swap tricks involved with freemcboot, though you do have to patch the ISO before burning if you don't want to HDD load (and the patch takes 2 seconds or less).
r0bot j0nes
16-bit

Post by r0bot j0nes »

Arent the Action Replay discs needed for that PS2 trick rather hard to come by?
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

r0bot j0nes wrote:Arent the Action Replay discs needed for that PS2 trick rather hard to come by?

You only need to do the AR trick if you don't have someone who can do the install for you.

Once you have a modded card (or a chipped system) you can install the software on anyone elses card(s) in about 2 minutes. I offer the freeMcBoot install for free if people cover shipping, and several other people do too.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

i used the atlas disc to flash my interact memory card plus. works like a champ. i didn't think it would work because i couldn't get that card to show up in memory manager in years. i guess it was corrupted. it has a use now though.