Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Carts!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Cart

Post by stickem »

Jagosaurus wrote:
stickem wrote:Been using the memory card plus the last year with 0.831. Since it didn't have the extra ram that the action replay has, plus it's real temperamental, I flashed action replay plus with the newest kai firmware. It plays the 1m required games but not the 4m, stuck at the need the ram cart screen. Not sure why the flash wouldn't retain 1 but not the other. Any ideas?

Will the 1M games run with no RAM expansion at all? My AR stays in so I haven't tried without.

I'm still anxiously awaiting this:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=50516

Nope. Guess I'm going to try to flash it back to ARP firmware and then try again. I mean the ARP preflashed carts they sell online work with 4m games, so this one should.

With that sd loader i'd probably run into the same thing I do with emulators. So many games all at once I won't pick one to play, just to much lol. I kinda like the physical media and researching the game before I burn it.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I guess I was wrong. Xmen vs street fighter works great, I assumed it was a 1mb game but was wrong. Now my search continues why street fighter zero 3 takes me to the 4mb requirement screen lol.

edit: well fuck, http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/informa ... AM-mod.htm guess i'll attempt this at some point and try not to ruin the dam thing
marurun

Post by marurun »

Is your ARP an older unit? I've had mine for some time and it does work with all those titles. I haven't flashed it, though. I'm a little afraid to. Maybe I need to get a replacement to flash so if I break something it's not the end of the road.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

It looks like the one in the link with the parrell port. It works on some 4mb games but not vampire hunter or sf zero 3. I'm glad I found the issue above though. Things that don't work right drive me crazy till I find out why lol.

Probably a good idea to get a backup ARP cart to use for save backups from the system. I'd stay away from the memory card plus, that one wrecked havoc on my other Saturn's card slot. I doubt you ruin the card flashing it. I've flashed it numerous times troubleshooting the above issue back and forth with the supplied firmware to always go back to the ARP firmware.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Mine has a parallel port, too, but it definitely works with Vampire Savior and Alpha 3
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ok, so I know you lose the memory card function (get those fresh batteries ready!), but can any one 100% confirm if you lose the 1MB/4MB function? The RAM is still there.

Also I was watching a video that said some retail games don't work with an AR cart inserted and you'd have to patch the iso. IIRC he mentioned PD Saga and a couple others. You guys have any experience with that?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

the ram stays, it's part of the hardware not the software being flashed. mine retained it for what its worth. pds has to be patched because the game detects a cheat device in the memory slot, it think is the reason? hadn't had any trouble with any other game.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

stickem wrote:the ram stays, it's part of the hardware not the software being flashed. mine retained it for what its worth. pds has to be patched because the game detects a cheat device in the memory slot, it think is the reason? hadn't had any trouble with any other game.

Ok, good to know some software script you lose in the flash isn't required to access RAM.

Really!? PDS looks for cheat devices. Interesting.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

yeah the game has some protection feature built in to stop people from cheating. it wouldn't work with a non flashed arp either
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

stickem wrote:yeah the game has some protection feature built in to stop people from cheating. it wouldn't work with a non flashed arp either

But there is an ARP code that makes it work.
Only it's not an option if you flash the cart, only really useful for chipped Saturns with PAR+ (as far as backups are concerned).

A couple links for my own reference:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33310&start=20

http://www.panzerdragoonlegacy.com/arti ... play-codes
Last edited by nightrnr on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...just another lost soul...