Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Carts!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
miked
128-bit

Re: Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Cart

Post by miked »

Yeah from what I understand the AR is only compatible with the "Lite" version, with that version not supporting save backups.

I have a hacked AR myself but would have bought the gamers cartridge if I had known it existed. The Capcom fighters are cool and everything, but with a 1gb SD card you would pretty much have infinite save space.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I'd wish someone would come up with a memory card 2 slot hub with selector switch. That way I could boot my backups and then switch it over to my official card to save lol. I believe I just lost like 20 hours in shining wisdom cause the dam console was unplugged for a few months. I have no desire to start that one over.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Sadly, the answer is to have two Saturns. One for RAM expansion games with a flashed AR, and another for everything else with the Gamer Cart with an SD card in it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Or you can just mod that puppy. :) I had to re-mod mine recently, actually, and it's a bit simpler overall than it used to be, although it still requires bridging a few solder points on the mod board depending on which model Saturn you have. It's not as elegant-looking as the one I had in there, but it also means you don't have to solder to a tiny little pin on a QFP.

That being said, I can understand not wanting to screw up your Saturn potentially, as well.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I have not the skills, nor the spare mod chip. And my modded Saturn is exhibiting some really strange behavior.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
miked
128-bit

Post by miked »

Did some more research when I got home and I think the Saturn cart everyone desires is in development, and has been for a couple years.

https://github.com/hitomi2500/wasca

http://www.wasca.info/

From the wasca site listed above:

wasca is a multipurpose cartridge for Sega Saturn.
wasca is still in the development stage, currently developed by cafelalpha2 and hitomi2500.
For now, there are two versions planned.
First version will mimic Power Memory / Backup RAM, 1MB ROMs from KoF and Ultraman, and 1M/4M RAM expansion. In will also boot any custom bootloaders like PseudoSaturn.
First version is based on Altera MAX 10 FPGA with external SDRAM and internal Nios II soft CPU, price tag should be around $50
Second version will emulate Sega Saturn modem and/or CD-ROM drive (with iso completely in RAM), VDP2 digital video in and so on, but the price will be bigger ($100 or more). You should consider it as a "developer" version.
Second version is based on snickerdoodle, holding Xilinx Zynq with 1Gb RAM, bluetooth, wifi and 2.4 inch lcd display.

So even emulation of the ROM carts for the KOF games that needed it. The site is taking preorders apparently.

It is one janky looking site tho. :lol:
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I am officially interested in that Wasca cart. Save space is a big reason, but finally playing KOF95 on Saturn would be awesome (not worth the hassle otherwise).
Iso's on cart would be pretty amazing too. I wonder how it would affect value and demand for Rhea/Phoebe and/or that upcoming Satiator (expansin port thingy).

But the more devices like this the better, I say. Personally, I want at least one of everything, but I'm very happy with what I have for now.
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Seems like vaporware for now. Hope someone takes advantage of the fact it was open source.

28.09.2016. Yesterday i finally recovered my raid5 with wasca website on it, so we're back. A lot of happend with both wasca and my life this year, and sadly, but my participation as a developer is almost freezed for now. Things will change in 2017, but i'll post some updates here just to keep in touch.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Yeah, that's why I'm so impressed with the Rhea. It's so hard to get things like this to a sell-ready form. I usually have major doubts until it actually gets off the ground (or the individual has a history of coming through with projects).
...just another lost soul...
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

Where can I get the firmware to flash a AR? The links in the OP are dead.

And have they made any updates like allowing backup saves?

I currently still have a modchipped Saturn with a AR. But I was thinking about buying a backup Saturn just in case mine breaks. I don't feel want to modchip it. I rather get an AR and flash it with the firmware to play backups.

If they haven't made a firmware update to back up saves, I guess I can still use my original AR to do that, but I will just have to switch them around. As anybody else done this?
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread