[GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Ziggy

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] for Flash Carts, Retrode, repros, and more!

Post by Ziggy »

IrishNinja wrote:damn, yeah that does suck. was actually looking around for another group buy just to get in on an SD2SNES sometime

Don't be turned off to the Sd2snes though. That's a problem with the console, not the flash cart. Although the Sd2snes is sucking up more power than any legit cart ever did, and potentially more than was ever intended, there's plenty of people that don't have any issues. Also, all flash carts use more power than legit carts. It's just that the Sd2snes is probably the most power hungry of them all.

The capacitor problem mentioned in the FAQ should not be taken lightly. The a SFC/SNES can be as old as 24 years. Capacitors don't last forever. We're all kind of on borrowed time. Worst case, electrolytic capacitors can leak or even explode and cause a huge problem. At the very least, they wont work properly and thus your console wont work properly (or possible wont work at all).
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

True true, I wasn't in any way knocking the SD2SNES. I also think it's a console issue and will know for sure next week when I test it out on some other machines.

Hey Ziggy, RE capacitors, in the long run, can they be replaced? Or is it that if your capacitors are buggered the whole console is buggered too? New to the whole hardware maintenance thing. Cheers.
Weekend shmupper
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Dammit. I typed up this whole response but then go logged out before I could post it.

Oh well. Short answer: Yes, you can replace caps. It's not too hard, but you need to know how to solder. The annoying part is making a list of what caps you need to purchase.

A quick Google found this: http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~reese/electrolytics/

Read the "rap about electrolytics" section. Although that page is talking about caps found in old tube radios and amps, the same principles apply for all electrolytic caps.

Do a Google image search for "bad caps" or "bulging caps" to get an idea of how they should and shouldn't look. Also note that a cap can be bad with no bulging. That's why when you do a recap you replace ALL the electrolytic caps and not just the ones that are bulging/exploded.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Thanks Ziggy, I'll bear that info in mind when looking for a replacement SFC.
Weekend shmupper
darsparx
Next-Gen

Re: Information about flash carts

Post by darsparx »

Ziggy587 wrote:Image

Would be awesome if it was easy to find one of these, I don't know why but I've had a interest in one of these for some odd reason but yeah even ebay and amazon turn up zilch(pretty sure the prices would scare me too)...oh well more money for expanding my library ^_^
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

darsparx wrote:Would be awesome if it was easy to find one of these, I don't know why but I've had a interest in one of these for some odd reason but yeah even ebay and amazon turn up zilch(pretty sure the prices would scare me too)...oh well more money for expanding my library ^_^

Check this out: viewtopic.php?p=974109#p974109
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Ziggy587 wrote:
darsparx wrote:Would be awesome if it was easy to find one of these, I don't know why but I've had a interest in one of these for some odd reason but yeah even ebay and amazon turn up zilch(pretty sure the prices would scare me too)...oh well more money for expanding my library ^_^

Check this out: viewtopic.php?p=974109#p974109

Well I'll be...hrmm 59 still hurts a little for some odd reason but might have to bite just for the sake of somehow playing on my mac if possible when not near the consoles(can't exactly lug the consoles around like i'd want to...)
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

IIRC, when Retrode was producing them they were about $100.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

So this is pretty elementary but krizz's GBA flash drive would be able to house all GB,GBC, and GBA titles and works in both a GBA and the GBA player for the GameCube, right? Or is it JUST GBA games?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Krikzz has a GBA flash cart?