Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] for Flash Carts, Retrode, repros, and more!

by jmbarnes101 Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:32 am

Krikzz's new store website link is here:

http://store.krikzz.com/products

Just in case anyone is trying to use Retrogate and noticing everything is and continues to be sold out.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14867&p=149112#p149112

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), Gamecube (Pokemon, Purple JPN modded), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega CDX, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x)
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:46 am

In the case of both the Super Everdrive and Mega Everdrive, v1 required you to press reset to back up the save data. For v2 of both carts, save data is backed up automatically. So if you're buying used, be sure to check what version cart it is.

What's cool though is that you can set auto save data backup on and off. Here's a direct quote from the Mega Everdrive v2 manual:

SRAM backup: This function allow automatic backup of SRAM save data to SD card. Every time when user changes the game, the OS will make write a file in MEGA/SAVE/ folder, the file name will match to ROM name, the SRAM data will be saved to this file. Next time, when the user selects the same game again, the OS will copy SRAM data from that file to SRAM memory. SRAM Save works only for games that have battery save functions. The OS will not create the save file if the game does not use the SRAM memory. If this option is disabled, the OS will not save/load SRAM memory to the SD file automatically every time when user change the game, but games are still allowed to use SRAM.

So for example, let's say you have auto back up set to on. Let's say you're playing Shining Force and save. You can turn the console on and off, the save file still still be there. Now let's say you load Sonic 3, the Mega Everdrive will write the Shining Force save data to the SD card. Now let's say you want to play Shining Force again. The Mega Everdrive will write the Sonic 3 save data to the SD card and load the Shining Force save data for you.

As far as I can tell, the N8 works in the same way for saves with the exception of FDS games (you have to press reset to save FDS games). Something worth noting about getting a NES flash cart though, if you're planning to get a flash cart or two for other consoles before the NES, that's definitely a good idea. The PowerPak 2 is supposed to be in the works, it might be worth waiting for it to come out. The PP2 might be more desirable than the N8. And if not, you'd probably be able to score used original PowerPak at a good price from someone wanting to upgrade to the new one.

I'm not sure if the situation with Krikzz is dire or not. I recently ordered an Everdrive MD, and Krikzz was active on his forums on March 6th.
kikenovic
8-bit

by kikenovic Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:06 pm

Thank you for your dedication in making this article. I suggest you include the SuperUFO Pro 8 in the SNES section. For a budget cart (aprox $50) is not a bad choice.

Pros:

- Low price
- SD card support
- Most games work including hacks and translations (FFV, Bahamut Lagoon, etc)
- Cheat support
- Can dump carts to SD
- Allows you to backup and restore sram to/from the cart
- Works as a pass through device (no more adapting the slot)

Cons:

- Only 8.3 filename support
- Roms are not sorted by name
- Only one SRAM at a time
- 32mbit max rom size
- No enhancement chip support (regardless of what the description says)
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:53 pm

kikenovic wrote:I suggest you include the SuperUFO Pro 8 in the SNES section. For a budget cart (aprox $50) is not a bad choice.

I agree, I should include it. My goal with these write ups was not really to review each cart, but to compare them all to each other so people can make an informed decision when purchasing one.
Nyukki
128-bit

by Nyukki Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:09 pm

Apologies if this issue has already been discussed, did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

Question:

So I just bought an SD2SNES. I'm playing on a model 1 Super Famicom (independent sound chip) connected to an HDTV via composite RCA and the video signal keeps intermittently cutting out. Sometimes every few seconds, sometimes once every minute or so. Sometimes only for a few seconds, sometimes for extended periods of time.

I contacted the seller and he asked whether I have an SFC with the independent sound chip, as this is apparently a known issue, and recommended I try the 0.1.7 preview firmware. I tried out all three revisions of the 0.1.7 firmware and all have the same issue.

The seller's other feedback is good, but I've never heard of this issue before so I wondered whether the cart was faulty. Luckily the seller has offered me a no quibble refund, but if the issue lies with my model of Super Famicom then......*sigh*.

Anyone else heard of/experienced this issue? There's a guy locally selling a piss yellow NTSC-U SNES, if the issue I'm having is indeed an independent sound chip issue then I might just buy that SNES specifically for the SD2SNES and play my special chip games on the SFC.

Thanks
Weekend shmupper
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:16 pm

Nyukki wrote:So I just bought an SD2SNES. I'm playing on a model 1 Super Famicom (independent sound chip) connected to an HDTV via composite RCA and the video signal keeps intermittently cutting out. Sometimes every few seconds, sometimes once every minute or so. Sometimes only for a few seconds, sometimes for extended periods of time.

What exactly happens? Does just the video cut out, but the audio continues to play? Or does the TV lose the signal entirely ("No Input" message)?

The only think close to your problem on the FAQ is Q5: https://sd2snes.de/blog/faq

You can try and contact ikari, he would know if the problem the seller told you about it legit or not. And possible what you can do to remedy the problem.

https://sd2snes.de/blog/contact
Nyukki
128-bit

by Nyukki Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:34 am

Thanks Ziggy. I get the no signal (no input) message, so no sound no picture. Will contact Ikari as I don't want to buy another SNES unnecessarily.

Edit: Reading that question 5, it seems not enough power getting to the cart could be the case. From what people have been telling me about how bad the first batch Super Famicoms are, it might be worth trying it on another console. The guy I found locally has a bunch of yellow US and JP SNESs, but lives out in the sticks. Will venture out there next week.
Weekend shmupper
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:01 pm

So I'm assuming then that your problem only happens with the Sd2snes and not with any other (regular) cart?
IrishNinja
64-bit

by IrishNinja Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:32 pm

damn, yeah that does suck. was actually looking around for another group buy just to get in on an SD2SNES sometime
Nyukki
128-bit

by Nyukki Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:55 pm

Yeah, regular carts work fine on the first batch SFC, which is what makes me think the more power being drawn by the SD2SNES argument has validity.
Weekend shmupper
Return to Archiving & Repro - Game Media