[GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] for Flash Carts, Retrode, repros, and more!

Post by Jagosaurus »

Yeah, I plan on ordering the Jaguar Flash cart right away when pre orders open. The ability to run CD games off it is going to be huge. I think it will support a wealth of homebrew as well.

Well learning the Saturn ODEs don't require an intense install just cost me some money :lol:. Maybe I was mixing it up with the 3DO USB mod... hm.

Well, Saturn & DC ODEs are on my list.

I don't see the Dr. A video cd slot mod coming to fruition anytime soon. The AR Cart mod scene has been fun to watch develop. Hopefully that will continue as well.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Sorry guys, for not updating the first post in a while!

Jagosaurus wrote:I don't see the Dr. A video cd slot mod coming to fruition anytime soon.

Are you talking about this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E

That's what I'm really waiting for.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Aww, I was too late to post this - I just barely got my order in. Flashmasta's run of Wonderswan flash carts today sold out in minutes, but after seeing that, they're going to make a new, bigger batch soon.
http://www.flashmasta.com/
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

HOLY SHIT this thing looks amazing! From the same guys that made the Neo•Geo flash carts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=embglSBWF8E

https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.p ... &id_lang=1

"Its a device that plugs into the pcengine, coregrafx, coregrafx 2 and super grafx expansion port emulating not only the whole super cdrom 2 drive but also the system cards and hucards while offering high quality RGB output."

But it's nearly $300 USD!

Considering what it does, the price isn't bad (although it's still $300 any way you slice it!). This is the CD add-on, a ODE for the CD add-on, a Hu Card flash cart, and an RGB mod all in one! So say you were gonna purchase all that stuff, the $300 price tag isn't bad at all. You might spend that much on just a Turbo EverDrive and a CD add-on. But, for someone like me who hasn't gotten into PCE CD already because of the price, this doesn't help. I can say though that this makes it more tempting. Spending that much money is one thing, but spending it on old hardware that might need a recap or whose optical drive might die at any time is a gamble. Newly manufactured solid state hardware though, I'd spend $300 on that a lot easier.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I saw that video yesterday. That is some cool tech for sure. I hope they manage to get the bugs out. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on that.

Meanwhile, I am still begrudgingly holding out for more Polymega info. I'm hoping it will be a cost effective way to play PCE/Turbografx16 stuff with high accuracy. But it sure is getting harder and harder to pass on all these new retro gadgets - AVS, Super NT, and now this.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

I’m thinking about selling a bunch of games and buying some flash carts instead. Specifically right now I’m looking at the everdrive for 64 and mega drive/Genesis. I’m wondering about which version to get.

For Megadrive is the v7 that much faster at loading games than the v5? I’ve seen some people say the v5 loads in 3 seconds and others say 30. I don’t really care much about save states or being able to access different games without resetting the console. Is the load time enough of a difference to get the V7 over the V5? Are there any other differences that would make the V7 worth the additional money?

Similar question on the 64 V 2.5 vs v3. Are the main differences the support for animal crossing and Pokemon stadium 2 and not having to reset the console to save? This one I’m leaning more toward V3 just because I see myself forgetting to reset, but if all else is equal I might just save the money.

And I was also considering a GBA flash drive. Is the everdrive worth it or does the ezFlash IV work just fine? Quite a cost difference.

Thanks.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

ESauced wrote:For Megadrive is the v7 that much faster at loading games than the v5? I’ve seen some people say the v5 loads in 3 seconds and others say 30. I don’t really care much about save states or being able to access different games without resetting the console. Is the load time enough of a difference to get the V7 over the V5? Are there any other differences that would make the V7 worth the additional money?

I can't speak for the X7 but the X5 loads games plenty fast. All the games that I have loaded up have done so in 3 seconds or less. I'm not sure how someone is getting 30 seconds unless the flash cart or the SD card is malfunctioning.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I have an X7, but my understanding is that the X5 is plenty fast too.

In other news, the SD2SNES now supports Super FX. It's not perfect, and never will be (timings are too difficult to be perfectly accurate), but it's apparently working great with pretty much all the Super FX lineup. I'm probably going to install the latest version on my cart this evening and give it a test.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

ESauced wrote:
And I was also considering a GBA flash drive. Is the everdrive worth it or does the ezFlash IV work just fine? Quite a cost difference.

Thanks.

I can help you with that part since gameboy is my thing. I could go on about the SSS3 but it's just a bad idea right now with the problems it has with RGB, jailbars and moving diagonal distortion lines very obvious on various colors and not others. The EZ-Flash 4 has a rep for being crappily built, slower, needing save patches and other lovely garbage due to how it was originally handled. Even 5-7 years ago much of that (not the cheap thin part) was worked out as I had one back then and didn't need to patch anything, it just worked but annoyingly with an app.

The newest slim release of the device now with a white label, very minimalist, with a black plastic body resolved all the problems. It's now equally as fast as the everdrive. The plastic isn't barely glued together but now rigid in comparison. You can pop and drop games in windows explorer or whatever right to the memory card you wish to use for it without some bs app. It in every way is in parity with krikzz work, but it actually has an advantage...SIZE. The Everdrive sticks out of the top for your GBA of choice like a 1/2 inch. This is a real big pain in the ass if you use either a GB Micro or any older model too if you're someone who uses a licensed carry case as they like to hold them firmly with no space for a protruding cart. The device also still is cheap, like 1/2 the price or less of the everdrive. Buying in this one case, a Krikzz product is basically just like idiots who buy the designer label on some clothes or a handbag vs the same damn thing without the label sewn into it.

Just get the 2017/18 version of the EZ-Flash IV and save some good money and have a unit that works as nicely without it sticking out of the side of your handheld in the way.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Sarge wrote:In other news, the SD2SNES now supports Super FX. It's not perfect, and never will be (timings are too difficult to be perfectly accurate), but it's apparently working great with pretty much all the Super FX lineup. I'm probably going to install the latest version on my cart this evening and give it a test.

Link, please! I'm not seeing this on the sd2snes.de website. Last firmware post was May 6, 2017.