[GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Ziggy

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] for Flash Carts, Retrode, repros, and more!

Post by Ziggy »

GC Loader - New ODE for the Gamecube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKXMIveMmYE
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

This is pretty sweet. Do any GCN titles have issues off USB or SD on modded Wii?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:Do any GCN titles have issues off USB or SD on modded Wii?

Yes, although my knowledge is a few years out of date at this point. I have no idea how compatibility improved since I last used Wii GCN HDD loaders. But I do remember some games have trouble with streaming audio on one loader versus another. In the video I linked, it was mentioned that there is some issues with games that stream audio, but the devs are seeking better compatibility through updates.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Reports from a recent update to Swiss include performance updates that make an ODE unnecessary - RetroRGB Swiss update OCT 2019
The MicroSD adapter mentioned is on Ebay for $15 USD
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Good info. I didn't know GCN loading on Wii had any issues. Also, didn't know Swiss was a thing.

So, I read... or maybe heard?... something interesting on loading PS1 games via USB or HDD on PS2 hardware using POPS. Been meaning to share. I have no hard facts, just spitting back out what I think came from a reddit hacks thread.

Apparently the same components of the chipset in the PS2 are used to handle PS1 emulation and USB & HDD I/O. They were never intended to be used in tandem. While being used for both simultaneously, compatibility will just never get beyond a certain point. It can't handle both tasks in all cases.

This is why we saw POPS level off around 80 to 85% compatibility while it's 99% backwards compatibility from a real PS1 CD. This obviously is not the case for PS2 titles off HDD which sits around 98% or so. Just fun under the hood info 8)

Wonder if something similar is happening on Wii for GCN issues?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Anapan wrote:Reports from a recent update to Swiss include performance updates that make an ODE unnecessary - RetroRGB Swiss update OCT 2019
The MicroSD adapter mentioned is on Ebay for $15 USD

Alright, hold up.
One of the main purposes for an ODE is so that you don't have to worry about the drive working at all. I see how it let's you load games, but how do you get to the loader itself (in standard bios)? I assume the AR disc.

And I'm not convinced the music in games would always work on SD, or something I heard...

Always wanted to have a self-booting Gamecube though, no disc needed. I think there's a way to replace the Bios, but using a Wii for Gamecube loading is just to convenient; just sticking with that until a better option comes about.

Wonder if that serial port adapter interferes with the Game Boy Player?

I have so many questions and am totally lost these days.
...just another lost soul...
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I installed a xenogc clone mod chip in mine, but the other way is the AR disc - SD Loader. With the chip, I can boot off any burnt disc. I have a modified top that supports full-sized discs.
Swiss is updated all the time - sometimes multiple times a week, and each update improves compatibility or adds new features. I haven't messed with the new versions much - I mostly use it to boot GBI for 240p GBA play. Reading about that October update, the SD optimization/speed improvements increased compatibility a lot.
I do not think using the serial port would interfere with the Gameboy Player; I've never heard of anything actually using it. It has a separate cover from the high speed parallel port the Gameboy Player connects to. Being a serial interface, unless something tries to access it i don't think it would do anything
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Yeah, seems like they would have had to accomodate the GBP, but you never know. I think there would be a warning of it didn't though,so you're likely correct.

I'll still be looking to get an ODE or self loading option for an actual GC system, but I can definitely live without.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Also (and forgive the double post):

I'm (on the list for) getting one of these:
http://furrtek.free.fr/sdloader/
I only have like 10 NGCD games, but I enjoy fighting games (and improved soundtracks) enough that it's worth it to me. I even have adapters to allow Saturn controllers (works with an AES
System anyway) .
It should bring my nonfunctional NGCD system up to working order (if not I'll just get another).

Oddly, it was the Polymega that steered my interest in that direction (was the only system that I didn't have a satisfying setup to play). I decided to wait on the Polymega (see how it performs for others and if a better deal comes up), but maybe in time I'll wind up getting one as well.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

nightrnr wrote:Also (and forgive the double post):

I'm (on the list for) getting one of these:
http://furrtek.free.fr/sdloader/
I only have like 10 NGCD games, but I enjoy fighting games (and improved soundtracks) enough that it's worth it to me. I even have adapters to allow Saturn controllers (works with an AES
System anyway) .
It should bring my nonfunctional NGCD system up to working order (if not I'll just get another).

Oddly, it was the Polymega that steered my interest in that direction (was the only system that I didn't have a satisfying setup to play). I decided to wait on the Polymega (see how it performs for others and if a better deal comes up), but maybe in time I'll wind up getting one as well.

Holy shit, that's awesome! I'm glad someone made an ODE for that console. I'm a fan of ODEs so consoles can live on after the optical drives fail, but in the case of the NGCD an ODE is going to have a quality of life improvement as well. The loading times are famously slow. I briefly owned the NGCD some years ago, and I heard how painfully slow the loading times were, but it was just comical to experience it! I had the 1x drive, too. Knowing that an ODE exists now, I kinda wish I still had mine.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll add it to the list!