[GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] for Flash Carts, Retrode, repros, and more!

Post by IrishNinja »

ah, thanks for the clarification! i did mod my SNES for the tabs a while back (N64 too), but i'm happy to hear i shouldn't get many problems from a Super Everdrive, or at least any that can't presumably be patched.

and to be clear, as i understand it the Mega Everdrive doesn't play Game Gear (only ones patched to work on SMS, which i understand to be small list) or SG-1000 currently, at least according to Krikzz forums...there's talk about the Everdrive 64 & 64DD use on Assemblergames but currently it's not looking like they work either :?

on the upside, i did learn that the N8 supports FDS titles, so there's another library i get to explore one day!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

IrishNinja wrote:ah, thanks for the clarification!

No problem. I have since edited that post to include other info about SNES lockouts. Nothing that pertains to flash carts, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

IrishNinja wrote:and to be clear, as i understand it the Mega Everdrive doesn't play Game Gear (only ones patched to work on SMS, which i understand to be small list) or SG-1000 currently, at least according to Krikzz forums...there's talk about the Everdrive 64 & 64DD use on Assemblergames but currently it's not looking like they work either :?

Cool, cool. I don't venture onto other forums, so I'm slow to learn about progress most of the time. If you find out anything, feel free to post relevant links here to clue me in.

IrishNinja wrote:on the upside, i did learn that the N8 supports FDS titles, so there's another library i get to explore one day!

Yes, FDS support is awesome. I had fun playing Doki Doki Panic (original game that was made into Super Mario Bros. 2). Metroid is better played on the FDS since you can save your game progress, instead of using long passwords. Castlevania II is the same deal, however, the NES version has better music so it's kinda of wash.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Re: GG -> SMS hacking:
Chris Covell (the same guy who did all that other stuff to define emulation back in the DOS days - GB, GG, SMS etc. and hardware hacking unparalleled - still mentioned on the thanks list of damn near every handheld emulator) made the only ROM hacks years ago AFAIK:
http://www.chrismcovell.com/segahacking/gg2sms.html
Kudos! They work beautifully!
Are there more?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Post by ApolloBoy »

Anapan wrote:Are there more?

There's a lot more now, including a number that are currently in the works: http://www.smspower.org/Hacks/Index#GameGearToMasterSystem
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

I wish there was a way when using the Mega Everdrive to play Master System games to use the 3rd button on the genesis pad as the pause button, it is really a pain in some games to have to get up and press the button on the cart to pause the game. Especially in games like Jurassic Park and Batman Returns where you need to pause constantly to change weapons. I'm sure there is a reason why this is not possible.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Doesn't the Mega Everdrive have a way to return to the flash cart's menu without having to reset (a button combo). If it has that, one would think it would be possible to use the Genesis controller to pause SMS games.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

ApolloBoy wrote:There's a lot more now, including a number that are currently in the works: http://www.smspower.org/Hacks/Index#GameGearToMasterSystem

oh wow, thanks for this man! hopefully Defender of Oasis & Ren & Stimpy: Quest for the Shaven Yak show up here one day

Ziggy587 wrote:Doesn't the Mega Everdrive have a way to return to the flash cart's menu without having to reset (a button combo). If it has that, one would think it would be possible to use the Genesis controller to pause SMS games.

this is a pretty good question, as ive yet no idea how to boot back into the menu in-game
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

A N64 Everdrive v. 3 was released. It's almost 200 dollars with the shell and CIC chip.

Also, heard rumors that a GBA Everdrive is next.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

So is there a way to boot back to the menu in game while playing a SMS game on the mega ever drive? I always have to turn off the power. If I press reset on the genesis it just brings me back to the game.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

What does the ED64 v3 have over the v2 ???