[GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] for Flash Carts, Retrode, repros, and more!

Post by nightrnr »

I too am doubtful of SA-1 emulation on SD2SNES. But I thought he had some good progress on FX at one point (I have nothing to back that up, just thought I saw a post on his site about it). I think there's still hope there at least. It would amuse me to play Doom on it.

So does MMX bother you as well Tanooki? I'm a huge fan of X1 and X4, but I did enjoy my X2 play (just 6 months ago).

And let's not ignore the Star Ocean patch, not that I've played it any.

Everyone else just likes the quick loading and IGR options, I think. Maybe not worth twice the cost of an Everdrive, but everyone is different.
...just another lost soul...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

That is NOT the same "to-do" list that's been up for years. That's a recently posted road map for the next few planned updates. The Sd2snes has more features than Cx4, yet you constantly make it sound like a $200 Cx4 cart. Take a look at the Mega Everdrive X7 compared to the X5 and X3 (formerly Mega Everdrive and Everdrive MD). The X7 is comparable to the Sd2snes in cost, yet doesn't even promise to offer what the Sd2snes is trying to do. More hardware and more expensive hardware will, of course, drive up the price. That doesn't make it some kind of gimmick. The Mega Everdrive X7 and Sd2snes are the Rolls Royce of flash carts.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Just wanted to voice some thoughts on the Super UFO Pro 8:

I had some time to mess with the thing. I for one, like the device. I also understand it's caveats (limited to non-existent special chip compatibility, 8 character names, shoddy NiMH battery, buggy save state feature, etc).

But some of the "limitations" I actually prefer. For one, I like having direct control of my save files. Managing multiple save files and only having them copy to SD card when I want is a feature to me. I like that it stores your last save to the (replaceable) CR2032 battery, so you can just concentrate on one game at a time and not worry about games that save every turn (fire emblem, wizardry).
I also like copying my own games, although I find it a little inconsistent on the ROM settings for each game (had to change the recommended settings for Y's III, but not MKII; both showed a different rom size than the default. If you already know the rom settings, this isn't an issue (size and hi/low rom).
But even if you discount the cart copying ability, most sd carts don't even have that.

The save state feature is all but unusable For normal play (severe graphical and audio issues), but I was able to use it to do the "break Final Fantasy VI bug". But you don't have to enable the feature and it's only a bonus to me. (For info, it operates independently of save ram, so you can load an sram save, then save state, then copy another save ram and the game will use it instead of sram from the save state, useful in "break FFIII/VI").

For basic game playing, I think it's great. Yes, the 8.3 character naming is restrictive, but for someone like me who knows the entire library pretty well, it's not really an issue (I know what "DKC3.SMC" is if I select it).
Gameplay is perfect and even the few odd Capcom games it has issues with has a workaround or patch somewhere.

I spent around $40(+) for each of the 2 I now have (which is a steal). One will be for my actual copied carts (limited to a 512mb SD). The other will be for translations and rom hacks (plus some favorites and curiosities).

I just think it's not as bad as people make out, even if there are better alternatives.
I also have both an Everdrive and an SD2SNES. They are still the better pick for most gamers. I am not most gamers though and have a purpose and dedicated system for each flash cart.

The poor man can get a LOT of use out of the Super UFO Pro 8.
(Also, I didn't try the cheat feature yet).
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

nightrnr, read your Super UFO Pro 8 review back when posted. Good info.

All, refresh my memory... the Phoebe and Rhea ODEs for Saturn both require soldering regardless of model console, correct?

Also, regarding the Jaguar SD cart posted today on Atari Age:

SainT, on 05 Nov 2017 - 02:39 AM, said:
There will be a sign-up for pre-order / interest on the retrohq website as there was for the NeoGeo Pocket before long... :)

Will bump that dedicated thread in news at some point today as well! This is awesome news!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

I just feel like sharing my insights on the flash carts I own, and ones I hope to own. I'm kind of OCD when it comes to flash carts, so I spend more time messing around with them than actually playing on them. :D

EZ Flash IV has been one of the best investments I made in video games. I bought mine off the B/S/T for $35.00. They were really high in demand at the time because they were out of production. US websites were selling them for like 70-100 brand new.

Anyway, that EZ Flash IV team is still supporting their product. I'm not sure what made them come out of hiatus, but they made some nice and very useful updates. It no longer requires that ugly EZ Flash IV software. It's just a drag and drop like the Everdrives after you get the firmware installed. Though I have come across some issues with games that used to work fine, but they can mostly be worked around by booting the game without GSS patching or a hard-reset boot. However, Space Invanders Advance still will not work even though it did on the old firmware. I am not sure why, but I am sure I can get around it by finding a different file or doing some kind of manual patching.

I'd still recommend this to anybody looking to play GBA games that don't require RTC.

GBA-Everdrive: I do plan on getting an Everdrive-GBA. Once Krikzz develops a GBA-x7 that is a standard GBA size and fixes the loose ends. And I know he will. He has done the same with the Mega Everdrive, GB Everdrive, and N64 Everdrive. Luckily for my EZ Flash IV, I can be patient enough to wait. EZ Flash IV is great, but sometimes it still feels like emulation with certain games requiring workarounds, patching, and waiting for the loading screens.

The x5 hasn't given me a reason to ditch my EZ-Flash IV yet.

SD2SNES is probably my favorite of all my flashcarts. I probably could have been satisfied with the Super Everdrive. However, the price of Mega Man X2 and X3 steered me in the right direction. I'm not a big Mega Man fan, but I'd like to know that I can play it on my SNES without having to drop hundreds of extra dollars (I think you'd have to pay $250.00 at least to get those two games). Plus, instant loading is always nice for flash carts.

It is pretty lame that the SD2SNES has "potential SA-1 and Super FX Chip support" as a selling point. I believe I seen that on that website for almost 4 years now (it was probably on there longer). But, fwiw, I believe they are actually making progress on it now. Or it actually is on their to-do list, and from what I read, it is not impossible. They can get it done if the resources and right minds are there.

I really do not care for MSU support.

And the theme/skin support was a nice touch. That graffiti skin was pretty rough, and was one of the reasons I was leaning towards an Super Everdrive. Eventually, we got the ability to make our own skins. I made one that matches the Everdrive theme, and I just put a "SD2SNES" logo on the top instead of just having an empty black space.

Mega Everdrive x7

I sold my Mega Everdrive v1 a while back. And now I just ordered a Mega Everdrive x7 from Krikzz during his Black Friday sale. It's supposed to be the same but it does not require resets for saving and has full EPPROM support. I'm excited to get this one. I was backing off my Genesis gaming since I was Everdrive-less.

GB Everdrive x7

I just ordered this as well during Krikzz's Black Friday. Did I really need this? I think not. I already own most of the Pokemon games, and there's only a few other GB games that I want to play. I could have just used Goomba for my GBA, but I was getting some glitchy graphics. It didn't feel right. It felt like pure emulation. Plus.... if I get bored with my other systems, I'm going to hit up Racketboy's articles and guides on the Gameboy and see what games catch my eye. I think the x5 or even the x3 would have sufficed for me and others, but I just got to pay the extra 30-50 dollars and get the best. :mrgreen:

A man can dream, but I would love a GB/GBA x7 combo in a standard GBA sized cart. But Krikzz already said this is not possible. It would just be so perfect for me though since I do all my GB/GBC/GBA gaming on my GBA SP. I know the GB Everdrive x7 is going to be really great quality, but it's doing to stick out pretty far. I may need to find a backlit GBC.

R4i-SDHC

I've had this for so long, and you cannot go wrong with it. There's so many R4i cards and a bunch of other Nintendo DS flash carts out there. And they are dirt cheap (you should'be be paying more than 25 dollars for one) and most of them should support the entire library. I just need to get one for my 3DS so I can play my DS games on it.

All in all, these Everdrives can get expensive. I probably could have bought a Xbox One X with that money, but I still think you should opt for quality instead of low price when it comes to flash carts. Low quality flash carts can damage your hardware, lose saves, not play games correctly or just not at all, be a pain to set up, etc. Krikzz's Everdrives are great. He is also adding cheaper versions like the x3 and x5, so those may be good for you instead of getting a cheap flash cart elsewhere. He also has a great support community. Not to say others don't make great flash carts (EZ Flash IV and R4i are both great and cheap). But make sure you read up reviews.

And these things are pretty easy to turnover, especially in the US. When I sold my v1 Mega Everdrive, I only lost around $25-$40 from what I paid. US buyers on here or any other retrogaming website will pay a very fair price if you ship it promptly. Just don't be a lazy shipper.
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Jagosaurus wrote:All, refresh my memory... the Phoebe and Rhea ODEs for Saturn both require soldering regardless of model console, correct?

Also, regarding the Jaguar SD cart posted today on Atari Age:

Man, I really need to check these threads more. Awesome news of that Jaguar cart progress. Very exciting for the next year.

About Rheas, no soldering required, plug and play (well, you do need to open the Saturn system to swap out the CD drive, but that's it).
For Phoebe, a couple jumper settings need to be soldered, but the seller does that for you after indicating your Saturn type at the order page. So really, that's plug and play too!

Those Saturn options are great (and oh so hard to get). I wonder if Dr Abrasive's expansion port project will ever reach fruition. I'd buy one of those just because.

Been using my Dreamcast (GDemu) a bit. I wonder if I could get a supplemental dreamshell option going for emulated systems (nes, neo geo). But I could use image files just as easy, I guess. Plus, I don't even have that serial port drive (or whatever it is).

Interesting to hear about the EZ flash firmware. I'll have to try that out sometime with mine.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Dr. Abrasive's project is the one I'm waiting for. I'd love a Rhea/Phoebe, but it's not a priority right now. Slipping in an order is apparently pretty tough, too.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Yeah, I really should save the other Saturn options for people that need it.
I really do like my Rhea though. I was fanatical about getting one; the Saturn is just not a system that you emulate IMHO. When I first heard of the ODE, I was like "GET ONE AT ALL COSTS".

Still, one day it would be cool to have an ODE in the system, a Satisfier in the expansion, and either a Sarooo or other flash option in the cart slot. The ultimate "Flash" Saturn.

But the Rhea/Phoebe is the only sure, tried and true, and obtainable (during order windows) option at present. And it gives new purpose to most broken Saturns, so I fully endorse.

The more options the better though. I do hope current projects continue.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, the only reason I'm not moving now on an ODE is that my laser is just fine in my current one, and I also have a backup Saturn that I could use in a pinch. I had to get a new mod board when my old one died on me last year (I think it was last year!), and I haven't done a whole lot of Saturn gaming lately, anyway.

The Saturn is absolutely a system where it's useful to run actual hardware, though. As good as SSF is, it still has some very odd quirks with some games that makes the real deal much more palatable. The biggest is in Camelot's output, where the instruments are a bit off compared to how they're supposed to sound, but later versions also have a freeze bug in Panzer Dragoon Saga at the very end of the game.
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

Has anybody tried the NeoSD?

I honestly think $500 is a fair price for the AES version. You can get the whole Neo Geo AES library on original hardware.

The only downside for me is that since it uses Flash RAM the games take a while to load?

And it's still fairly new, so are there still lot of updates needed?

I'm definitely going to get this down the line, but I do not want to rush into anything.
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread