[GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] for Flash Carts, Retrode, repros, and more!

Post by JoeAwesome »

Ziggy587 wrote:What does the ED64 v3 have over the v2 ???

"Greater compatibility", real-time clock (for Animal Crossing 64), and no need to press reset to save. I think there was mention of added SRAM to do temporary saves as long as you haven't switched games, but I didn't look too hard at what info's available.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The NES PowerPak section has been updated. I cleaned up a few things, fixed down pics, and added a section about the PowerMappers.

I can't believe I'm reading this date right. Apparently I first posted this guide in February of 2012... That's 3 years ago! So, yeah, some info needs to be updates. Some pics are down. Some new products are out. I'm gonna try and slowly go through and update each cart one at a time.

As always, if anyone wants to write a review for a flash cart that I haven't yet, please and thank you!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Everdrive GB added!

FlashKit MD added!

Some text cleaned up!

The more I reread the first post, the more typos and grammatical errors I find. I'm far from the best writer in the world.

The Everdrive GB has been added to the list, although I still need a review.

The FlashKit MD has been added with a brief summary of what it can do. I really like this thing. You can use the programmer to read ROM data and read/write save data from legit Genesis / MegaDrive carts. You can optionally purchase the FlashKit cart, which can be thought of as an Everdrive MD Lite.

When asked on his forum about a SNES version in the future, Krikzz said he can't say for sure but "maybe."

There's still a shit ton of carts I have to add. Off the top of my head is the Atari 2600 Harmony cart, the Infinite NES Lives carts, and the NeoGeo Pocket Color Flashmasta.

I might also wanna touch base on some outdated carts, such as the Neo Myth carts. I'm also thinking about making a section for up coming flash carts. For example, Krikzz is apparently working on a GBA cart. And Retro Zone is apparently working on the NES PowerPak II.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

As previously mentioned in another thread, keep in mind Krikzz is from Ukraine, so civil war is going to have an effect on his work, among other more important things. :|
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

JoeAwesome wrote:As previously mentioned in another thread, keep in mind Krikzz is from Ukraine, so civil war is going to have an effect on his work, among other more important things. :|

I read that too, but it doesn't seem to be affecting him. At least, I hope that everything is right with him.

He released the FlashKit MD in late January, and he is active on his forums (last active on 3/6/15).

I read that a ceasefire went into effect, although there has been violations. Other than that, I don't know any details about the situation.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Ziggy587 wrote:I read that too, but it doesn't seem to be affecting him. At least, I hope that everything is right with him.

He released the FlashKit MD in late January, and he is active on his forums (last active on 3/6/15).

I read that a ceasefire went into effect, although there has been violations. Other than that, I don't know any details about the situation.

If he's still active on his forums, that's positive to hear. I don't mean to spread misinformation if the situation in Ukraine has changed over the past few weeks (I admit to not keeping up with it regularly), so if he's keeping up with his work, then, as an owner of two of his carts, I look forward to it!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

• Atari 2600 Harmony cart added

• Atari 5200 Ultimate SD cart added

• Nicer looking banners added

• More text cleaned up

I'm pretty impressed with the 5200 Ultimate SD cart. Those menus really do look nice.

There's a bunch of odd ball flash carts I wanna add, so I'm thinking about making an "everything else" section to put them in. Stuff like Virtual Boy, ColecoVision, NeoGeo Pocket Color, etc.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

Great thread Ziggy! The more I think about it, the more likely I want to jump into the Flash Cart market. I look at some of the games that I'd never be able to own without throwing down wads of cash on the table, but with a flash cart I can likely emulate the classics like Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and all of the other classics on SNES. MUSHA, Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hard Corps, Castlevania for Genesis.

I'm not too knowledgeable and maybe I'll dig around your thread more, but for games with save features, do you typically rely on save-states or can you make saves to the actual cart? From what I'm seeing so far, it usually requires pressing the reset button. That'd be the biggest concern for games that require saving.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Blu wrote:I'm not too knowledgeable and maybe I'll dig around your thread more, but for games with save features, do you typically rely on save-states or can you make saves to the actual cart? From what I'm seeing so far, it usually requires pressing the reset button. That'd be the biggest concern for games that require saving.

It can get a little confusing since each cart handles saves slightly different. Typically, you save in-game like you normally would on a real cart. Some flash carts will auto backup the save data, some you have to press or hold reset.

There's only three flash carts that I know of that support save states. The N8, the NES PowerPak (unofficially) and the Mega Everdrive. These three carts will also use regular in-game saves.

Holding reset to back up saves might be becoming a thing of the past. I'm noticing that more and more flash carts are handling save data automatically. In the case of the Everdrives, I've noticed that Krikzz made auto SRAM an option that you can turn off, so you can still handle save data manually if you chose to (it has benefits, like being able to have multiple save files for the same game).

If I wasn't clear about anything, either in this post or the first post, let me know!
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

I think your post clarifies it very well, actually! :)

So you're saying that the save features on most flash carts do it as if it were the actual genuine cart. The Mega Everdrive and Super Everdrive were the two that I'm mostly interested in, so if it can save naturally, that's awesome. If that's not the case though, it's not a dealbreaker. But if I was working on an RPG, naturally you'd want to be acquainted with the saving features, that's all. I'd possibly get an N8 if my experiences with one flash cart are positive. Based on your reviews, I'd probably opt for Krikzz's Everdrives, though given the current situation, it could be some time, possibly indefinitely. :|