[GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] for Flash Carts, Retrode, repros, and more!

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Thanks for the help guys. I have a few GBA games that just aren’t playing nice for some reason, and I’m going to hold those out while I copy the rest of my collection. (They are Banjo Pilot, Boktai 1-2, DKC3, Doom II, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I may find some more as I back up more games.) I’ve cleaned all the pins, and they all play just fine in my DS and GBA. Accordingly, I think there may be a firmware issue I need to work through. I’ll tinker with it a bit once I’ve copied over the rest of my games. (I tried registering for the Retrode forums, but I never heard back. I think they are now 100% dead...)

The only game that really didn’t work was my copy of James Pond: Codename Robocod. I discovered that it’s just straight up broken and won’t play on anything. Not sure if that’s a bad thing... :lol:
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Nearing 4 years later 8) ... we have a beta review of the Saturn ODE in the VCD slot...

https://youtu.be/j11SgTcagMY

Cross post from dedicated thread on device: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=50516

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Amiga CD32 ODE type device (also adds the Amiga computer functionality) got an update:

https://youtu.be/JMHKlWHd_YY

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

How big of a micro SD card would you recommend for the GBA Everdrive x5?

The GB/GBC/NES via emulators on the card - is this pretty easy to set up?

Thanks.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

retrosportsgamer wrote:How big of a micro SD card would you recommend for the GBA Everdrive x5?

Thanks.

micro SD up to 64 GB.

I've never used the GBA Everdrive, so I don't know about the emulation. I wonder if it works like the NES emulation on the N64 (you just load a NES ROM like you would an N64 ROM and it starts the game).
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Has anyone posted about Fenrir, the other-other Saturn ODE?

https://www.fenrir-ode.fr/faq.html#what-is-it

Looks to be very much like the Rhea. I wonder how availability will be?, especially compared to Rhea/Phoebe and the Satiator.
...just another lost soul...
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

retrosportsgamer wrote:How big of a micro SD card would you recommend for the GBA Everdrive x5?

Thanks.

The entire 1000 game USA GBA library (all barbie, spongebob, bratz, etc included) is almost 8GB, the full Smokemonster Everdrive GBA pack is 28GB and it includes all GBA games for all regions, hacks, translations, emulatable games packs, prototypes, some homebrew, game collections (duplicates, but categorized), etc.
I still have about half of an 8GB card empty after making a fairly exhaustive list of every GBA game I would even consider playing as well as including my shortlists for all emulatable rom types - this includes 380 GBA games taking up about 3GB, and about 1000 roms from emulatable consoles.

Emulators are very easy: goomba.gba, pocketnes.gba and smsadvance.gba go in the \GBASYS\ folder of the card, ROMs for those systems can be dumped anywhere else.

For Famicom Disk System, NeoGeo Pocket, PC Engine, Super Nintendo, MSX, etc. you must compile GBA roms with emulator and game(s) yourself using included frontends. Those systems play kinda badly for the most part, tho disabling sound can get some decent frame-rate on some good games. Details here.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Hey Ziggy587 -- thanks so much for this thread, BTW
I'm hoping to link to it for my revisions of the Beginners Guides, with the SNES one being the first. Is you SNES section of the first page up to date still?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Hey Racket. No problem, it was a labor of love. The SNES section is slightly out of date, mainly the sd2snes had a "pro" version release because the old FPGA was phased out, and had a name change because of a cease and desist from SD. I could update it maybe next week.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ziggy587 wrote:Hey Racket. No problem, it was a labor of love. The SNES section is slightly out of date, mainly the sd2snes had a "pro" version release because the old FPGA was phased out, and had a name change because of a cease and desist from SD. I could update it maybe next week.

That sounds great -- thanks so much!