[GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Ziggy

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] for Flash Carts, Retrode, repros, and more!

Post by Ziggy »

NES and SNES flash carts sections updated!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Great update!
I plan to update an original "toaster" NES (I don't even own one anymore) to support all Famicom functions using cheap, readily available modding parts. The most expensive part is a FDS HVC-023 ram adapter (still about $50 USD). For the FDSstick to work fully on a NES, some adapters are necessary. I plan to attach adapters in the cheapest but non invasive way to make Famicom Disk System games play out of a toaster NES without opening or modding. I'll then note the deficiencies due to lack of interface (controller mic, expanded audio etc.) and then fully interface any necessary peripherals with simple(imo) mods from the motherboard and Expansion slot.
I'll try to make bullet points for your FDSStick section.
I'll take a few pictures, but adding it to the guide section would stretch my expository skills too thin.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Anapan wrote:The most expensive part is a FDS HVC-023 ram adapter (still about $50 USD).

I have a RAM adapter and FDSStick, but I have a Famicom to use them on. Question: Why mod the NES to play FDS games rather than just using a PowerPak or N8 to play FDS games? Is it just for funsies?

Anapan wrote:I'll try to make bullet points for your FDSStick section.

That'd be awesome!

Anapan wrote:I'll take a few pictures, but adding it to the guide section would stretch my expository skills too thin.

Well you don't have to craft a guide, but you should definitely post a thread in the Hacks and Mods forum! I love seeing this kind of stuff.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ziggy587 wrote:NES and SNES flash carts sections updated!

Awesome -- thanks so much!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The entire flash cart section has been updated!

Now I just have to update the ODE section.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

OK, guys, so help me out. Below is a list of stuff I know I need to add. Is there anything that I'm missing?

Flash Carts:
NeoGeo Pocket Color: https://stoneagegamer.com/neopocket-gam ... style.html
MegaSD: https://stoneagegamer.com/megasd.html

Software:
Various HDD loaders for the Wii
SWISS update: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=36353&start=400#p1154022
oXbox? I would need help with this one.

Hardware:
The new Terraonion Saturn/Dreamcast device MODE
Saturn ODE Fenrir
Saturn ODE Satiator
Amiga CD32 ODE from this post: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=36353&start=420#p1155454
GC Loader from this post: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=36353&start=400#p1153956

Backup Devices:
???
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Post by Anapan »

@Ziggy587
>Is it just for funsies?
Mostly; I noticed that my boxes of modding and replacement parts now includes more than enough to fully equip a Toaster NES with Famicom abilities. Most friends and co-workers that I've mentioned Famicom to would never buy another console for some japanese games as their NES works fine and they already have a library. They'd never open or mod what works either. I want to see how easy and cheap the famicom library can be experienced with only adding cheap plastic adapters, and not emulating hardware with FPGA. The audio still seems to be a little inaccurate using flash carts. Volume levels may have been fixed in software since I did comparisons.

There are still several NDS flashcarts on the market, many overlapping into GBA and 3DS abilities. As far as GBA abilities go, there are a couple that are very cheap and still do most of what the Everdrive GBA do. NDS are a mixed bag, but still relevant as they're not covered here at all. I have several of the most popular brands, and might be able to contribute some compatibility details . Sadly, I haven't really even delved into the DS library as I've been preoccupied by the earlier era of handhelds. I haven't messed with 3DS stuff at all yet, but I gave some 3DS flashcarts to my friend a while back. His backpack with 3DS XL, Flash-carts and games was stolen, but I can ask him for some firsthand details - he wouldn't attempt using them if he hadn't thoroughly researched it.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Anapan wrote:Is it just for funsies?
Mostly

Awesome! Be sure to post a thread to document your work (or progress of work). I love to see that kind of thing!

Anapan wrote:...and not emulating hardware with FPGA. The audio still seems to be a little inaccurate using flash carts. Volume levels may have been fixed in software since I did comparisons.

I was concerned about that, too. There's really only one game with Famicom expansion audio that I care about: Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania III). When I first got a PowerPak and installed the recommended value resistor on the NES expansion slot to enable the audio, I made a much of recordings from the sound test menu of both from the NES with the PowerPak as well as the authentic cart on a Famicom. Comparing them with a proper A/B test, I really couldn't tell the difference!

Anapan wrote:NDS

I've been intentionally keeping DS/3DS stuff out of this thread. Going with the 10 year rule, the DS is still too new (it was officially discontinued in 2013) and the 3DS is definitely still too new.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Oh yeah, Gameboy carts:
Prof. Abrasive makes the Drag'n'Derp: http://derpcart.com/
EMS still makes (or at least you can still buy) the GB USB Smart Card 64M, tho I've read that BenVenn's El Cheapo is a better and cheaper solution.
Catskull Electronics has one: https://catskullelectronics.com/32kcart
Inside Gadgets: https://shop.insidegadgets.com/

I had the EMS one and it worked perfectly for me, tho I read some people reported problems flashing them (Windows Vista issue?). It also had one shared save area, so if you put two games with save ability on, one would overwrite the save of the other. I think Mottzilla had some solution to that last problem, but really 64megabit is a rather small memory anyway.

edit: I remembered another one: Jack DIY have a gameboy flashcart.
http://www.jackdiy.cn/
They seems to have a lot of flash carts (clones of Everdrive?), and clone of the Dreamcast ODE
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage