[GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Ziggy

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Post by Ziggy »

I'll still rip my own discs, which is usually easier. But things have gotten a lot better for downloading disc rips. Gone are the days that you get a busted ISO+mp3 rip with a broken or missing CUE from a sketchy ROM site. There's plenty of places you can get verified good rips. And it's easier to just download for certain systems, even if you own the game, just to make sure you have a good rip. For example, some PS1 games have a copy protection that you need the right software to deal with. Or, something like the Dreamcast is just easier to download than rip yourself.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Mega SD Expansion Adapter - You cannot use the Mega SD to launch CD games when it's plugged into a 32X. So, someone came out with an adapter that lets you plug the Mega CD into the Genesis expansion slot (where a real Sega CD plugs into) that will let you play 32X CD games.

https://www.retrorgb.com/mega-sd-expans ... eased.html
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Still pretty limited, as it doesn't load regular carts games when side loaded.
But it is a pretty neat option for CD 32X games (which currently doesn't have any other way to do it via flash cart.

I gave up on CD 32X games long ago (as 3 power adapters for 1 system was just ridiculous). and it's just not Sega CD without grainy small windowed video.

Thanks for the heads up for anyone interested in this.
I wonder if it would work for the Mega Everdrive Pro as well?
...just another lost soul...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

nightrnr wrote:Still pretty limited, as it doesn't load regular carts games when side loaded.
But it is a pretty neat option for CD 32X games (which currently doesn't have any other way to do it via flash cart.

Well I'd imagine that you would keep it in the cart slot and only put it on the expansion slot if you wanted to play 32X CD games (since there's only a hand full of them).

nightrnr wrote:I gave up on CD 32X games long ago (as 3 power adapters for 1 system was just ridiculous). and it's just not Sega CD without grainy small windowed video.

I briefly had a 32X some years ago, but I got rid of it because there just didn't seem to be any games worth owning it for. And yeah, that doesn't justify the messy hookup.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

My dillema is that I know that my Mega SD isn't going to be considered complete without that attachment now. But is $60 worth it just for 4 games, all of which aren't even exclusive?

On the other hand, it could also give new life to a Genesis with a messed up catridge port. It would only play Sega CD, but would be a cool dedicated use for it. I might even have an old Genny with such a condition.

Apparently, you could even have 2 flash carts plugged in, one in the cart port and a Mega SD sideloaded for CD games. You'd have to take the one in the cartridge slot out to use the Side loaded one though (so maybe defeats the purpose).

So far, it's the add on is not compatible with the Mega Everdrive Pro. I wonder if a future firmware update could fix that?

And don't read me wrong, I love the 32X (just not the full CD 32X setup). For me, it has some really interesting games. Kolibri is a favorite, for one. But I also like Virtua Fighter and Racing and simulation games (Star Wars, Shadow Squadron, Metal Head). Not to mention my strange liking of the Doom port. There's a few others, but it's just a quirky system that I couldn't ignore.

My collection never quite got to 20 games, so I know it's hard to justify for most.

--Edit--
Screw it, I just preordered one.
I see a few potential uses for this. And my Mega SD was intended for Sega CD only anyway.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Terraonion just announced a price drop on the Super SD System 3 ! The new price is 182 Euros.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Whelp, sad day for me as I realize the last official pre-order for the Neo SD Loader was a couple days ago.
As I posted a ways back, I was sent a faulty one. Furrtek was supposed to send me a replacement, but it never made it (tracking info never even updated past label made or something).

Anyway, he did refund me, but I would have preferred a working product at some point.

I guess I could have ordered again using a different email, but my emails requesting options to get another one went unanswered.
There's supposed to be one last clearance sale in March, but I'm not sure the best way to get in with that if I'm being ignored.

Maybe I could somehow manually solder the unit to the chip it is supposed to make connection to. I mean, I had it working temporarily, just too bad of an offset connection to be stable, a known issue for my batch. It just won't stay on and doesn't make good contact when it does for a second.
But messing with it too much may do more damage than help.

Just wanted a place to complain about it. Woe is me and all that.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

FWIW, he is going to open source the project. So either someone else will manufacture it, or you could possible just get the part you need made up.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I wonder if the price drop is to get ahead of KRIKzz's working on his own version? Will be interested to see if KRIKzz comes up with an attachment or something that works purely in the card slot.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Yeah, I did read about the Neo SD loader being open sourced after he's done. So I'll hold onto my system and the possibility. It's just makes me uneasy because I won't know the quality and it's not like the Neo Geo CD is super common; so not a lot of profitability.

My Super SD System 3 went in a PC Engine with a bad card port. Brought it right back to life (that was a fun gamble, as I was only guessing that was the only issue).

Unless it would give a Turbo Express CD games, I just assume keep the back loading add on instead of a card.

Finally, anyone know where I could order a top cover for an old Turbo Everdrive? Mine is just so exposed.