BURNING GUIDE for all images using only free software

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Ziggy

Re: How to burn game images using all FREE software!

Post by Ziggy »

Basically, the CUE tells the burning software what to do with the BIN file. That's why you load the CUE and not the BIN. You ARE burning the BIN file to the disc, but you're just not selecting it (rather, the CUE does). I'll update the guide with this information. Thanks for the tip.

I actually want to (or have some one) write up a guide about all the image files. I didn't want to bog down the burning guide with in depth information on image types, rather, just have a link to a guide that explains them.
Frizz.Meister
32-bit

Post by Frizz.Meister »

Thanks alot, the first paragraph is all you need it helped me make my first successful back up.
ShadicChao
24-bit

Post by ShadicChao »

how do i burn saturn cdi images?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

What Saturn CDI image? You'll only find Dreamcast games in the CDI format. At least, I've never seen a Saturn game as a CDI before. Regardless, you would follow the same procedure for CDI images as told by this guide.

@ everyone: I changed the name of the thread, figured the new title was better.
ShadicChao
24-bit

Post by ShadicChao »

Ziggy587 wrote:What Saturn CDI image? You'll only find Dreamcast games in the CDI format. At least, I've never seen a Saturn game as a CDI before. Regardless, you would follow the same procedure for CDI images as told by this guide.

@ everyone: I changed the name of the thread, figured the new title was better.

I used bootdreams for the clockwork knight 2 cdi but it didnt work

now im all out of cd's
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: BURNING GUIDE for all images using only free software

Post by racketboy »

Wonderful guides -- my old ones are rather dated now (especially in this Windows 7/Mac OSX world)
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: BURNING GUIDE for all images using only free software

Post by racketboy »

Alright -- so I just tried burning my first CDI with BootDreams (trying to burn Cosmic Smash)
Here's the error I got
Attachments
boot-dreams-error.jpg
boot-dreams-error.jpg (21.44 KiB) Viewed 10736 times
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

ShadicChao wrote:I used bootdreams for the clockwork knight 2 cdi but it didnt work

now im all out of cd's

I'm really not sure why any one would have a Saturn image as a CDI. First first off, can you mount the image in a virtual drive and test it in an emulator? If yes, then try ripping the CDI to a BIN/CUE and burn that instead. In the guide I show how to rip a CCD to BIN/CUE, follow the same instructions (but instead of ripping a CCD to BIN you'll be ripping the CDI to BIN - same procedure regardless).

racketboy wrote:Wonderful guides -- my old ones are rather dated now (especially in this Windows 7/Mac OSX world)

Thanks.

racketboy wrote:Alright -- so I just tried burning my first CDI with BootDreams (trying to burn Cosmic Smash)
Here's the error I got

Can you test the image with an emulator to confirm that it's OK? You could also try ripping it to BIN/CUE and burn it that way. I've ripped about a dozen Dreamcast CDIs to BIN/CUE and haven't had a problem doing it that way (I was even debating putting this method in the guide - maybe I will add it).
ShadicChao
24-bit

Post by ShadicChao »

Ziggy587 wrote:
ShadicChao wrote:I used bootdreams for the clockwork knight 2 cdi but it didnt work

now im all out of cd's

I'm really not sure why any one would have a Saturn image as a CDI. First first off, can you mount the image in a virtual drive and test it in an emulator? If yes, then try ripping the CDI to a BIN/CUE and burn that instead. In the guide I show how to rip a CCD to BIN/CUE, follow the same instructions (but instead of ripping a CCD to BIN you'll be ripping the CDI to BIN - same procedure regardless).

racketboy wrote:Wonderful guides -- my old ones are rather dated now (especially in this Windows 7/Mac OSX world)

Thanks ill try it out in the morning
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ziggy587 wrote:
racketboy wrote:Alright -- so I just tried burning my first CDI with BootDreams (trying to burn Cosmic Smash)
Here's the error I got

Can you test the image with an emulator to confirm that it's OK? You could also try ripping it to BIN/CUE and burn it that way. I've ripped about a dozen Dreamcast CDIs to BIN/CUE and haven't had a problem doing it that way (I was even debating putting this method in the guide - maybe I will add it).

Nah, I didn't but I've never had issues booting ones I've gotten from Underground Gamer.
Aren't BIN/CUE's non-selfbooting?
So does BootDreams turn BIN/CUEs into self-boots?