BURNING GUIDE for all images using only free software

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Ziggy

Re: BURNING GUIDE for all images using only free software

Post by Ziggy »

Oh well if it's UG than I would trust it.

Here's the thing: I've read that BIN/CUE aren't self boot, but I've re-ripped a bunch of CDI's into BIN/CUE before and they all have worked perfectly fine for me.

But if you rip the CDI into BIN/CUE, you would then use ImgBurn to burn the BIN/CUE to disc.
DuCT

Post by DuCT »

Very nice guide! This will help me a lot!
zxqdms
32-bit

Post by zxqdms »

Very thorough and informative guide. Though, the Boot Dreams link doesn't work anymore. I didn't need overburn, so I just used the Disc Juggler demo instead.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Link fixed, thanks for pointing it out.
Xelyx
32-bit

Post by Xelyx »

I've been trying to burn a copy of Shenmue. I've followed tutorials for both Boot Dreams and DiscJuggler, but every time the disc just comes out blank. Anyone have an idea about what I'm doing wrong? I got my game files from dcisozone, if that matters. Where would be the best place to find downloads? Thanks ahead of time for the help.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I'm not saying that your CDI is bad, but I would grab it from here anyway:

http://snesorama.us/board/showpost.php? ... stcount=72

Tux's releases are superb. There's some others that are making higher quality releases, such as Tux's, but I lost some of my bookmarks so meh. Here is the rest of Tux's releases:

http://snesorama.us/board/showpost.php? ... stcount=94

When searching to download a DC game, I would look there first.

That's really weird though, that your disc comes out blank. Blank, as in IMG Burn will tell you it's a blank disc? Either way, grab Tux's release of the game and you should have no problems burning it.
Xelyx
32-bit

Post by Xelyx »

Yes, I put the disc in my PC again and it just asks if I want to make a CD. I was trying it with Disc Juggler before, I'll try IMG Burn this time. Thank you for the help.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Hmm, well if the disc is absolutely blank, that's pretty strange. Did the software go through the motions of burning? ie: Progress bar, completion message, etc.
Xelyx
32-bit

Post by Xelyx »

It did all that, but the disc is still always blank. Are there any special settings to use in DiscJuggler or anything? I know I'm doing something wrong, I just can't figure out what.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Well I don't know about DJ because I don't use it, but what about Boot Dreams? Did you try burning in Boot Dreams? And if that didn't work, try ripping the CDI to BIN/CUE and burn it in IMG Burn.

If the disc keeps coming out blank, try burning another image that you have burned before. Maybe your burner has crapped out.