Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
opa
64-bit

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

by opa Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:19 am

So if I'm reading this right, if I go the cheaper route and get a super everdrive x5 I'll miss out on these heavy hitters:
Mega Man X2,3
Pilotwings
Super Mario Kart
Ballz 3D
Kirby Super Star
Mario RPG
Mario World 2
Star Fox

But most everything else should work well? Really I just want to play Chrono Trigger, Actraiser, and Harvest Moon (and maybe random off the wall stuff)
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:52 pm

opa wrote:So if I'm reading this right, if I go the cheaper route and get a super everdrive x5 I'll miss out on these heavy hitters:
Mega Man X2,3
Pilotwings
Super Mario Kart
Ballz 3D
Kirby Super Star
Mario RPG
Mario World 2
Star Fox

But most everything else should work well? Really I just want to play Chrono Trigger, Actraiser, and Harvest Moon (and maybe random off the wall stuff)

Correct, the Super ED X5 doesn't support any enhancement chips. Here's a list for reference...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... ment_chips

But yeah, most everything else will work fine. Kinda sucks that there's a few really good games you'll miss out on, but the X5 is also really cheap right now on the official Everdrive store...

https://everdrive.me/cartridges/spedx5.html

You could try and find an older flash cart that supports DSP, then at least you could play those games. The older Super Everdrive and SNES PowerPak could optionally have a DSP-1 chip installed to support those games. There was also a version of the Super Everdrive that supported all of the DSP chips, but I'm not sure how common it is to find that one second hand because it wasn't around as long.

My Sale Thread - PRICES REDUCED! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
opa
64-bit

by opa Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:25 pm

All right, cool. I'm gonna give the X5 a try. Mario RPG is a definite loss but, dang, when I checked last year the X5 was 80 or 90 dollars (iirc). I like the current price for sure. Especially if it handles a good portion of the library.
Return to Archiving & Repro - Game Media