[GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] for Flash Carts, Retrode, repros, and more!

Post by Tanooki »

Ahh alright, you're the second one in a week to bring that up to me, but also was told vaguely that yet another project is coming too for card+optical media for PCE too but didn't get any detail about that.

I'm also now an owner of a black Super NT, came with the retro receiver and matching black controller. Picket up a barely touched unit off ebay with a solid obo where I saved quite nicely and got something most excellent.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Oh, yeah, I just saw where that ODE is coming that works in the HuCard slot. I'm hoping the pricing is good; I'm very tempted to snag one if it works well.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Dang nightrnr. On your game!

I don't think we've seen a Sega CD ODE yet because the emulation scene is mature and almost spot on (running actual discs or digital) in multiple methods. I do remember reading the lunar games had lip sync issues in the FMVs but that was years ago. It'll come in time.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
marurun

Post by marurun »

One thing that might keep us from seeing a complete SegaCD replacement box like the SD System for TurboGrafx is that the Sega packed a lot of extra processing power and capabilities (largely under-utilized, however) into the SegaCD attachment. The more and more varied hardware you have to replicate, the more expensive an FPGA you'll need and the harder it will be to program. A full SegaCD replacement is unlikely to be even remotely affordable at this stage.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, probably true, although we may see one similar to Rhea/Phoebe for Saturn or GDEMU for Dreamcast. I've got two Sega CDs, one of which has a questionable laser track, so an ODE for my real hardware would be pretty sweet.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Jagosaurus wrote:Dang nightrnr. On your game!

On hold at the moment. Had a pic, but keep forgetting I can't link it without paying.
Ain't they so cute :D (even if my lighting sucks)

Initially I wanted one of each model (PCE, Core Grafx, Core Grafx II), but the Core Grafx really is my favorite anyways and I loves them.
(oh yes he does, he woves his wittle gwey and bwue systems doessn't he)
Okay, now that I creeped everyone out...

But yeah, very awesome. Had to have it. I love that "It LIVES!!!" moment when a system gets working again :mrgreen: .

I read about the other PCE ODE (can't find the link ATM). It would be awesome allowing the Turbo Express to play CD games, but I'd like to keep mine hucard/chip only (once I get the motivation to get mine fixed; would've added it to the pic, but it is disassembled ATM).
Also, I really do want to use the Super CD setup (Mine is modded for component video).
...just another lost soul...
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Just got an email from RetroHQ; Apparently I signed up to buy an in-production NGPC microSD based flash cart a long time ago, and my number's come up from the ~500 unit first production run. I guess that means I'll be donating my Flashmasta cart to the annual charity this year. Just a heads-up, any new orders will likely take some time (one guy printing 3D cases and packaging- these started being sent out this time last year) but from all accounts it's superior hardware. The Flashmasta uses a USB loader pin header device (which requires custom drivers and loader software interface) and a hardware switch for 2 banks of rom/save selection - 2 fully compatible games on cart. I didn't check compatibility of this new one. I had great success with the Flashmasta, but I can't resist having all inaccessible translated games onboard.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Sounds fantastic!

I'll stick with my Flashmasta. For some reason the software won't sync the cart right with my PC though. Had to use parent's PC to copy a couple games over.
But I have most of what I want on actual carts anyways, so I won't be changing the 2 games much.
...just another lost soul...
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Y'all, SA1 might be happening on SD2SNES. Apparently Redguy, who also implemented the Super FX support, has posted a demo video of Super Mario RPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qHMnT5aOcg

If this happens, I will be completely, utterly floored. I'd given up on both on the cart.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

After it was taking ikari so long without much progress, I kinda figured it would take someone from the community to come along and get the job done. Actually, I'm surprised it took this long for someone from the community to add something significant to the firmware. I mean, the Sd2snes has been open source since it was created.

Anyways, that's awesome that we're getting SA-1 now! And so soon after the GSU (it hasn't even been released in the official firmware yet). Hopefully S-DD1 isn't too far behind. Then there isn't much left for the Sd2snes to accomplish. SPC7110? Maybe just polish the GUI and add proper controls for PAR and GG codes. I think ikari is working on save states, but it's unknown how reliable it will be. Personally, I don't care about skin support (if the GUI is readable) and USB loading is only useful to devs.

With such awesome advancements and recently released hardware, I really gotta get my ass in gear and update the first page!