Arcade machines -- original or homebrew. Keep emulation topics in the emulation category
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Arcade1UP - Repro Arcade Cabs

by Anapan Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:32 am

If you have no skill whatsoever and you want a mame cab, you can mod this. Shortly the new images of retropie for the new Raspberry Pi model will be available. I think I already saw kits to do the conversion, and there's plenty of videos on youtube.
I don't know about installing a CRT, but I'm interested to see if the RGB-PI works on the new model straight out of the box.

For a bit more $ and no Raspberry PI you can also stick an old tower in and install lakka.
I hear they have some 240p support in the works too.

Since I'm making repro cabs from scratch with blueprints and customizing them to whichever CRT I'm building around it (super cheap), these don't interest me, but watching the videos I think anyone investing to upgrade without too much mess, space, woodworking tools, or skill will enjoy only a mild challenge.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:59 am

That TMNT arcade cabinet gets me drooling. I have absolutely no room for this in my home, but I want one so badly! :mrgreen:
marurun

by marurun Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:24 pm

Same. Only problem is I'd have room for 4 players, but 3 of those spots would be eternally empty.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:39 pm

marurun wrote:Same. Only problem is I'd have room for 4 players, but 3 of those spots would be eternally empty.

What!? Nah, I don’t believe that. You seem like a family man to me.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:38 pm

The Marvel cab is up for preorder at $399. This one is being billed as a "special edition" that has a light up marquee, Sanwa parts, and a custom riser. It will be limited to 8000 units. https://arcade1up.com/products/marvel-cabinet You could also get the regular edition one with a riser from Gamestop at $379.99 but I don't know why anyone would. The extra $20 is definitely worth the Sanwa upgrade alone.

The Star Wars cab is also up for preorder at GameStop at $499. Again, it comes with a custom riser. https://www.gamestop.com/vintage-softwa ... ser/179918

Personally I'm holding out for reviews on the TMNT cab. My kids still love playing Turtles in Time Re-Shelled. They need to experience the superior version.
girlracer
Next-Gen

by girlracer Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:59 am

I have a few of these. I bought the SF2 and Ramage for my 4 year old nephew originally, got the asteroids, centipede, and galaga on clearance. I had a gift card from Polaris so I bought the TMNT.

I also bought the PCB and control panels to Space Invaders and Pac-Man from Arcade1Up to switch out in my cabinets if I wanted.
Attachments
arcade1up1.jpg
arcade1up1.jpg (217.24 KiB) Viewed 34124 times
arcade1up2.jpg
arcade1up2.jpg (287.94 KiB) Viewed 34124 times
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:16 am

girlracer wrote:I have a few of these. I bought the SF2 and Ramage for my 4 year old nephew originally, got the asteroids, centipede, and galaga on clearance. I had a gift card from Polaris so I bought the TMNT.

I also bought the PCB and control panels to Space Invaders and Pac-Man from Arcade1Up to switch out in my cabinets if I wanted.

Flipping awesome collection, GR! That Pepsi letterboard really sets it off. That makes it feel like a real arcade.

I have a question about the Ninja Turtles cabinet. How's the music? Is it the original music from the game, or did they have to change the music for copyright issues?
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:24 am

samsonlonghair wrote:I have a question about the Ninja Turtles cabinet. How's the music? Is it the original music from the game, or did they have to change the music for copyright issues?

They had to change the intro for the first game a bit. Honestly I can barely tell a difference. https://youtu.be/9UNltHG9VyQ?t=161
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:35 pm

bmoc wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:I have a question about the Ninja Turtles cabinet. How's the music? Is it the original music from the game, or did they have to change the music for copyright issues?

They had to change the intro for the first game a bit. Honestly I can barely tell a difference. https://youtu.be/9UNltHG9VyQ?t=161

Thanks for posting the link. The intro music sticks out as wrong to me, but I can see other advantages too. The screen in particular is much sharper and more vibrant than the aging CRT of the original Arcade cabinet.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:16 pm

I picked up the Asteroids/Tempest one a few years ago on the $75 clearance at Walmart. I always wanted an Asteroids cab but could never find one with a decent monitor and I was pleasantly surprised with the unit. So when a 12 in 1 popped up for a price I couldnt pass on locally, I got that too. I can fit one more in the house before the wife gets too mad, but will likely push it for their pinball when it drops later this year.
Return to Arcade