Skullstone: an old-school 3d dungeon crawler

If you're an indie dev or author of a game, book, film, or other production, this is where you can pitch it -- just don't be spammy!
Anna Bury

Skullstone: an old-school 3d dungeon crawler

Post by Anna Bury »

Hi guys :)

Me and my team are currently working on Skullstone - a retro grid-based dungeon crawler RPG. We’re all huge fans of the classics of the genre (Dungeon Master, Eye of Beholder, Stonekeep, Ishar, etc.) as well as Legend of Grimrock, and we’re trying to capture that unique atmosphere of old-school dungeoneering.

Here's what the game looks like at the moment (well, not exactly, we've changed the GUI a bit since this video) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGEHc3p4Fjw

Alright, this is the point when most of you might say: "Ok, this is basically a Grimrock clone. Why should I even bother?"
Well, all the games within this genre are quite similar at first glance. When it comes to Skullstone and LoG, there will be some considerable differences between the two. Just to name some:

- Game area not limited to a dungeon. Your party will have an opportunity to visit a town, where they can get some equipment, interact with the locals etc.
- A system of side-quests,
- No customizable characters: you will choose your party members form a big group of pre-defined characters, each with his/her own unique set of strengths and weaknesses,
- A different approach to real-time combat. There's been a lot of criticism concerning Grimrock's "dancing" way of fighting, which made the game more arcade than RPG. We're working on a system of special abilities (for both party characters and dungeon monsters) to deal with this issue.
- A different approach to casting spells.

(this is our new GUI - we wanted to make it as minimal as possible)

Let me know what you think of it, there's still much to be done, so any feedback will be appreciated :)

Visit our Fb page: https://www.facebook.com/SkullstoneGame
Follow us on Twitter: @SkullstoneGame