Game Music Podcast: The VGM Jukebox! [Twitch Dinner Event!]

If you're an indie dev or author of a game, book, film, or other production, this is where you can pitch it -- just don't be spammy!
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Re: New podcast: The VGM Jukebox!

Post by Key-Glyph »

Hey guys! The VGM Jukebox's one-year anniversary is on the 24th, but we're celebrating early! Come join us!

If you don't know what our show is about, we're like a radio request line for VGM music. Our patrons submit suggestions for VGM and include a personal statement about why they chose their particular tune (although it's not actually required). Each week Josh and I play a handful of these suggestions and read the matching testimonials on the air. Then we talk about a bunch of wacky crap.

We usually play a host pick too, and then our haunted jukebox finishes things up by playing one completely randomized tune from the 8-bit and 16-bit eras. The randomized stuff is seriously one of the best aspects of the entire show.

An incredible 66 individual folks have dropped us a whopping 200+ suggestions to date, but we're always looking to expand the range of tunes and memories. So, if there's a video game song you love -- or hate -- or even just have an interesting story about -- put it in our suggestion box.

Thanks to all the Racketfolks who have already sent stuff in to us, for anybody who's listening, and anybody who's contemplating starting. When Josh and I launched this spur-of-the-moment project last July we were worried we might never get enough recommendations to carry our episodes, and man, was that anxiety misplaced! Our patrons make it possible, and we love you.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I've been looking for new video game related audio to listen to at work and I LOVE the VGM Jukebox. It's a relaxing multi-task and I really dig the chemistry Key. I actually (incorrectly) assumed you and Josh were in the same room. You have a great cadence and really, really good timing.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Hey guys! It's been a year and a half since Josh and I started the VGM Jukebox podcast, and now we've got our very own Patreon.

If you want to tune into our very silly pledge-drive/infomercial introduction of said Patreon, you can give this episode a listen.

The important thing to take away from our fundraiser is this: even if you donate just $2 per month, you get access to an exclusive bonus episode for every single one of those months, we'll send you a cool postcard with some hand-written thanks, and you'll get to enter your name on a website designed to look like an old-school arcade scoreboard!

And rewards just get better from there, too. I'll put putting up images of some of those rewards later this weekend, so if you need to see what the Shy Boo and Dry Bones cross-stitched magnets look like before you decide if you want them in your life... soon you will be able to.

Thanks for reading guys, and thanks to all of you who listen and support the show. ♥

retrosportsgamer wrote:I've been looking for new video game related audio to listen to at work and I LOVE the VGM Jukebox. It's a relaxing multi-task and I really dig the chemistry Key. I actually (incorrectly) assumed you and Josh were in the same room. You have a great cadence and really, really good timing.
Thanks retrosportsgamer. We try to be chill. And wow, what a compliment that you thought we were in the same room! The delay does cause us to talk over each other sometimes, but I think we've gotten a good feel for it. :D

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Game Music Podcast: The VGM Jukebox! [now on Patreon!]

Post by Anapan »

*shakes head* wha?
Dunno how I missed this before.
I'll tune in! I like the cut of your jib, so this should be great!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah I've been listening for a year now myself. It's awesome. Chiptunes for life!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Key-Glyph wrote:Hey guys! It's been a year and a half since Josh and I started the VGM Jukebox podcast, and now we've got our very own Patreon.

I've just started listening to this recently myself, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Apologies for the silly number of music suggestions I've submitted in the last week or two :lol:
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Hey guys! This is just a quick announcement that Josh and I will be streaming on Twitch this Sunday, March 26, at 6PM Pacific / 9PM Eastern. If you want to join us for our first official livestream, drop in at twitch.tv/vgmjb!

And what will we be doing, you ask? Well, we promised our Patreon patrons that if we reached a certain goal, we'd broadcast ourselves eating dinner. So... that's happening! But we'll be playing some VGM in the background too, and it'll be a fun opportunity to chat with our listeners -- so it'll be kind of like we're all hanging out at a barcade together, snacking and shooting the breeze.

We hope some of you will eat and chat along with us. And even if this sounds way too weird or boring, Josh and I are planning to stream gameplay in the future (both solo and duet-style), so you might want to subscribe to our Twitch channel anyway. Games that are definitely on the streaming list so far? Contra Hard Corps and NSYNC: Get to the Show. Yeah, our channel's gonna be a good time.

Hope to see some Racketboys there, and thanks for reading!