4-play KS relaunch : Bliss-Box

If you're an indie dev or author of a game, book, film, or other production, this is where you can pitch it -- just don't be spammy!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: 4-play KS relaunch : Bliss-Box

Post by fastbilly1 »

So the beta Blissbox came in last night for my public showing at MTAC next weekend. I am still trying to draft my words for how incredible this thing really is. Suffice to say that this is the finest controller adapter I have ever used.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

After logging almost a week with the 4 play I can say this: Even though the one I received is a beta build of the product, it is the best adapter I have ever used. I gave it a barrage of tests and it continues to impress me. Every first party standard controller I tried with it works, many third party, and many that do not work on other adapters. The Hori Minipad for the N64 works perfectly, the Wiiu TTT2U stick maps correctly, and every Atari stick I own works fine with it. These are controllers that do not work on other adapters fully - for example the TTT2U stick is not detected in any other CC adapter.

So I gave it a run in a variety of emulators on Windows 7. Configuring it Retroarch was a pain, but that's just Retroarch, everything else ran it perfectly fine. From Project 64 2.1 to Stella to Bluestack. I beat Mario 64 using it and completed a level using my Wico Commander for the Atari 2600 (which discovered both buttons as separate inputs). I did have some issues with hot swapping controllers, some programs liked it, others did not. But thats not a huge deal - People will not often be swapping from controller to controller as they play. I beat most of Shadows of the Empire using a mix of Gamecube, Classic Controller Pro, SNES, and N64. I ran it on the Ouya and my Galaxy S3 aswell. Android detects it fine, and with alittle of tweaking the Ouya gets a new life. Running it on Linux Mint 9 and 12 was just as easy as on Windows. My PS3 yellow lighted so I did not get to test it on that, but it mounts as a HID so it should be 100%.

The version I received only had six adapters - DB9, SNES, CC, N64, Gamecube, Dreamcast. I tried a couple dozen controllers and the only real issues I have had with where with Dreamcast controllers. Madcatz controllers do not work, including the Panther DC (but that is a known issue Madcatz did something stupid back in the day). The Dreamcast keyboard shows up in device manager, but buttons 7 and 8 are always pushed down, and yes I realize using a Dreamcast keyboard on a PC is silly, I just wanted to see if it would work. My EMS Cha Cha Amigo Dreamcast Maracas would detect in device manager, but not show any buttons presses.

I did a quick video rundown that we will have posted later, but suffice to say, this is the single best piece of fan made hardware, I have ever used. I cannot say that enough. It is simple, efficient, and it just works.

If any one has any questions, I still have it this week.
ulao
8-bit

Post by ulao »

Wow great review, always nice to hear what people experience. A few bits of feedback. The DC protocol uses a shift register and blasts bits out of it at a rate exceeding the chip for the bliss-box. So in design we didn't get the option to read it as it should be done. Instead we just read the data as it came in (bit banging). This works only for the official stuff, and we were only able to read the packets from the controller. The Maracas have more data to send and adding support for that is possible. When we get a chance to work with them, it will be added. The keyboard is just a fluke, it was never planned to be supported.

Switching controller in game, if done correctly, should not be seen by the emulator. When you unplug a controller it should pause the game, plugging in a new controller should be ready as soon as you hit un pause (only works for detectable controllers). If any of that does not work right please do report to the beta tester forum. We'd like to resolve every issue that comes to surface and have so far. Also if there are any issue with systems like the Ouya, that would also be appreciated on the forums. With the 4-play you can update firmware from your computer so you can immediately get a fix when it is out.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

12 days and still a ways to go. Bumping, just incase someone missed the earlier updates.

I stand by my statements, this is the finest piece of 3rd party hardware I have ever used.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Last day folks.

Big announcements made since last post:
1. Lightgun on LCD/Plasma interface in the works
2. DB15 dongle in the works
3. A switch has been added to the back of the device so you can use it for single player.
4. Single player version and 5 1/4 bay version in the works
5. Arcade dongle interface in the works

So that 3rd point may sound superfluous. Well by making it act like a single play, it means it can be used on the Xbox family in the near future.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Most preorders ship this month!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Explain #4 to me. Cuz in my mind it sounds incredible.
avrame
128-bit

Post by avrame »

My understanding is that the single player version was originally designed due to the fact that the Xbox family will not respond to USB devices on a hub. The original 4-play will acts as a four device hub, but has a built in switch which will disable all but one port to allow usage on an Xbox.

Or were you asking about the 5 1/4? In that case, I assume them mean a 4Play that is the same size as a desktop CD drive, that way you can mount it on your PC case.
If you aren't having a good time, why are you playing?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

avrame wrote:Or were you asking about the 5 1/4? In that case, I assume them mean a 4Play that is the same size as a desktop CD drive, that way you can mount it on your PC case.

yeah I meant this - and that's what I took it at as well. Which sounds really cool.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

avrame is correct on both accounts. The swapping to single play will allow use on the original Xbox, but it will also allow for a very neat concept that is not ready for prime time news yet.

Per ulao, the 5 1/4 bay version is down the road, but the current PCB is designed as a hockey puck. You could make your own pretty easily, with a drive bay and several pigtail extensions.