Bliss-Boxes 4-play is now on Kick starter!

If you're an indie dev or author of a game, book, film, or other production, this is where you can pitch it -- just don't be spammy!
ulao
8-bit

Bliss-Boxes 4-play is now on Kick starter!

Post by ulao »

4-PLAY is here! (By Bliss-Box)

Bliss-Box hit an all time high in the beginning of 2014. It was either abandon the project or take the next step forward. Bliss-box had 2 main complaints; price and looks. It was a project developed out of a garage as a hobby. Like so many other garage projects its now too big for one garage. Bliss-Box has teemed up with Mike from etonnet.com to bring to the world a 4 player version of the bliss box that fits in the palm of your hand. This is only the beginning but all beginnings have to start somewhere. 4-Play is the production version of 4 Bliss-Boxes in one!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/54 ... ontrollers

4-Play is a $600 value down to ~$75. It is professionally built to last and allows up to 4 players at once. Bliss-box and 4-Play are backward compatible but don't share the same design look. To summarize; Bliss-box is a way to connect just about any console controller to usb. A few goals are set and few left to achieve. The project will remain driver-less, will be upgradable via firmware, will support everything a controller has to offer in the best way possible. The last remaining functionality will be the use of memory cards. Bliss-box has already found a way to write to the Dreamcast LCD and is working on a method to communicate with emulators. Take a look at some of the features below.

Features:

Auto Pause - Most controllers will auto pause when the controller is unplugged. When you are in the middle of a game and your friend, wife, pet, or otherwise clueless partner trips over your cord resulting in NO GAME CONTROL, the game will pause. :)

Auto Pause Detection - In addition to auto pause, you can switch controllers on the fly. When you unplug, for example, a Saturn controller you can then choose any detectable controller and plug it in. The 4-Play will auto detect this controller and resume functionality. Very few controllers are not detectable. For example, the Atari and Intellivision are not, but most others are.

Global button mapping - Global Button Mapping - All buttons are laid out the same to match common set ups. For example the SNES y, b, x, and a are mapped like the Neo Geo a, b, c, and d so that when you switch from one to the next you use the controller in the same manner. Both left most buttons (SNES:Y or Neo Geo:A) are mapped to the emulator the same. Obviously some choices had to be made. See this spreadsheet for details.

Force Feedback - Force Feedback - Vibration (rumble) is supported with no drivers required. The following controllers support rumble: DreamCast, Nintendo 64, Playstation 1, 2, and GameCube.

UDLR mode - This mode will map all Up, Down, Left, Right d-pad buttons to the corresponding analog inputs so that you can use the d-pad to control the game and switch back anytime. To enter this mode you press shoulder left, shoulder right and the pause button all at once. To exit, press the same. NOTE: Do not press the analog stick on the N64 when you do this. The N64 uses this combo for calibration. As long as the N64 analog stick is left centered, you're ok.

Auto Detect - No switches needed. The 4-Play will detect the controller automatically.

Out of the Box ready. Nothing else is needed. No drivers, no wiring, or setups. Plug in the controller to the cable, cable to the 4-Play, and you are done.

Upgrades - The chip is designed to be upgraded via an upgrade file which is transferred via the 4-Play's USB connection. Each port has its own chip and will allow you to use multiple firmwares. Upgrading firmware is a lot easier then installing drivers and you can get instant updates from the web page. Upgrading instructions are also available online.

Full emulation - Each controller is fully emulated unless otherwise stated. For example, PS2 pressure sensitive buttons are working in the current release while the memory pack transfers are currently not implemented. When features becomes available they can be added by upgrading the firmware.

Forums
main page
Working controllers
Face Book
winds
128-bit

Re: Bliss-Boxes 4-play is now on Kick starter!

Post by winds »

I was actually just recently thinking about buying a bunch of usb adaptors for retro controllers. This is a great idea. I would definitely contribute to the $95 tier had I more money. I hope you do well with this, good luck!
Nintendoes what Nintendon't!

Tangerine Orange Key: 42915767S1
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

That's so cool! I use the single ones you made me all the time. The new design looks and sounds amazing. I can't wait to try the new one out.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

ulao, I am in for one at either the top or second from the top level. But is there anyway in the future for there to be a build that is wired with the ports across the front - like the Wiiu Gamecube adapter? That or an extension cable for the standard connectors so I can make my own?

I would love to have one to travel with and one mounted under my gaming pc.
ulao
8-bit

Post by ulao »

There are a few options for you.

1) custom builds. http://bliss-box.net/Bliss-Box/products-Custom.html
2) the cables can be connected to extension cables for use with D.I.Y build your own arcade set ups.
2) After the fundraising products to come are, single-play, 5 1/4 drive bay setups, a universal arcade kit, and more.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

5 1/4 bay would be perfect. Looks like I am giving you alot of money in the future.

Ill be backing this weekend when I get back to an actual PC. Thank you for the headsup.
ulao
8-bit

Post by ulao »

Cool, glad to have you on the list! You will have a hug price drop owning one of these when the other products are out. We are not planning to make this a "buy our products!". Its going to be modular in the sense that if you have a 4-play you only need the adapter plates. The brain is is done, its all about how to interface it, so may options to come.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

Love it, I'll be in the upper tiers as well. Brilliant product -- and I'm supporting partially because of what's to come. Great job!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I donated yesterday, awesome work as always. A buddy of mine has one of your blissboxs and if this is at that level of quality from the users side, well I will be selling the bulk of my adapters. But why the Pippin? No one has more than one Pippin controller, nor would they want one...
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Hey guys, I have a vested interest in this, and I out of principle cannot join facebook.
Can anyone do a facebook "like"?
Turns out 90% of his sales are from facebook.

His single GC USB box does a Wavebird flawlessly without any lag. SKUNX's previous devices were relatively expensive and large, but unmatched in quality. He was the first to make a USB 3D Saturn controller possible. Even Mayflash and BOOM couldn't do it. Given his tenacity and qualifications, I really want his new device to come out.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage