The best NES repair guide on youtube!!!

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
Dccloth

The best NES repair guide on youtube!!!

Post by Dccloth »

I feel this is the best NES repair guide on Youtube, it covers everyting from Boiling the Pin connector, Clipping the lock out chip to end flashing, and a very effective cleaning method. Let me know what you guys think of it.

http://retrogamersociety.com/1-nintendo ... tely-free/
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: The best NES repair guide on youtube!!!

Post by Hobie-wan »

Moved to the correct section. Overall pretty good, but some constructive criticism.

Should be a disclaimer why blowing on the cart is bad and why this contributes to needing to clean the system in the first place. A little warm soapy water and an old toothbrush works great too and should be faster than the dishwasher. You mention you can fit about 8 in one 60 minute cycle. I'm pretty sure I can get a system cleaned in 5 minutes or less by hand. Controllers take longer since all of the buttons are fiddly to clean. It looks like you're putting the metal shielding in there. It can rust, I wouldn't do that. I just dust those with a brush.

IMHO one should use plain contact cleaner. Stuff with lubricant in it is for switches. If someone buys the lubricated stuff, they're going to be using that to clean carts too and the lubricant will make dust stick to the carts and connectors as the system is used leading to more cleaning.

Need to let stuff sit and dry for quite a good while. A fan blowing lightly helps as well instead of using canned air. Water likes to collect in the screw holes so that needs to be completely try before putting stuff back together so you don't trap it in there. Need to mention that cleaning the carts is just as important as cleaning the system. It looks like you used the same game that you blew in at the beginning of the video and used as the 'scraper' in the middle of the pin boil.