Xbox Guide - Which Revision - Panzer Dragoon 480p

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
Genesis Knight
32-bit

Re: Original Xbox Guide - Which Revision - Panzer Dragoon 48

Post by Genesis Knight »

My copy of the GunValkyrie demo arrived today. I can confirm that it doesn't work in 480p on a v1.6 Xbox. Disappointing.
zinhorockman

Post by zinhorockman »

Hi guys, i have found the solution for Panzer Dragoon Orta! See this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgI6UbSp0aM, it's a video showing how to get it to work in 480p, it's an easy process and don't involves any type of mod, hardware or software, you just have to get in the original Panzer Dragoon port from Pandora's Box fot it to work! :D
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Hitachi Disc Reader personally confirmed in the Xbox. Bought this from nullxor, a nice find of an uncommon disc drive! Note the large smooth notch cutout compared to the Thomson disc drive. OP updated with an internal view.

Right Click for a larger view
Xbox Hitachi Disc Drive.jpg
Xbox Hitachi Disc Drive.jpg (246.08 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Genesis Knight
32-bit

Post by Genesis Knight »

zinhorockman wrote:Hi guys, i have found the solution for Panzer Dragoon Orta! See this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgI6UbSp0aM, it's a video showing how to get it to work in 480p, it's an easy process and don't involves any type of mod, hardware or software, you just have to get in the original Panzer Dragoon port from Pandora's Box fot it to work! :D

Happy to confirm that this works! I have a writeup on my blog: http://nickgibson.org/480p-panzer-drago ... -1-6-xbox/
Duane Dibbley
128-bit

Post by Duane Dibbley »

My Thompson drive started to have read errors. Woohoo! :roll:

The llamma site seems to have gone down sometime last year. CRT, you may want to change your links to the Internet Archive versions.
My games for sale: Racketboy, Amazon, eBay
My systems: NES, Nintendo 64, GameCube (Game Boy Player), Wii / Game & Watch: Ball, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP (x2), Nintendo DSi / Genesis (Sega CD, 32X), Saturn / Game Gear / PlayStation, PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Mac (Windows PC) / iPhone, iPad
Duane Dibbley
128-bit

Post by Duane Dibbley »

I finally got a replacement Samsung drive to swap for my Thompson, and it doesn't completely work. The first thing I noticed is when the drive is opened, half the time it immediately closes. If that was the only problem, I could live with it, but then when trying out some games, there have been some very long load times, and some freezes and skipping audio. These are games that have none to very few scratches, and worked fine on my Xbox before the previous drive went bad. Any ideas for a fix?
My systems: NES, Nintendo 64, GameCube (Game Boy Player), Wii / Game & Watch: Ball, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP (x2), Nintendo DSi / Genesis (Sega CD, 32X), Saturn / Game Gear / PlayStation, PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Mac (Windows PC) / iPhone, iPad
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Duane Dibbley wrote:I finally got a replacement Samsung drive to swap for my Thompson, and it doesn't completely work. The first thing I noticed is when the drive is opened, half the time it immediately closes. If that was the only problem, I could live with it, but then when trying out some games, there have been some very long load times, and some freezes and skipping audio. These are games that have none to very few scratches, and worked fine on my Xbox before the previous drive went bad. Any ideas for a fix?

If that drive has any buyer protection such as Ebay, post a dispute for a ship back refund. The Thomson drive is reputed as the worst drive as a disc reader followed by Samsung due to eject tray issues. Since your replacement Samsung disc reader is also having read issues, I wouldn't waste any time tweaking the laser if you have the refund route.

As mentioned in the OP, look for a Phillips or Hitachi disc reader.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Duane Dibbley
128-bit

Post by Duane Dibbley »

CRTGAMER wrote:If that drive has any buyer protection such as Ebay, post a dispute for a ship back refund. The Thomson drive is reputed as the worst drive as a disc reader followed by Samsung due to eject tray issues. Since your replacement Samsung disc reader is also having read issues, I wouldn't waste any time tweaking the laser if you have the refund route.

As mentioned in the OP, look for a Phillips or Hitachi disc reader.

I contacted the seller, so we'll see what kind of response I get. I went with the Samsung because it sounded like it read the best, if you could get past the sticking issue. The seller seems to have a stockpile of oXbox parts, so we'll see what he offers. If I get a refund instead of a replacement, I'll look into the Phillips drive. I considered just buying another oXbox and swapping drives, but then I ran the risk of getting another Thompson drive.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Xbox Guide - Which Revision - Panzer Dragoon 48

Post by CRTGAMER »

Duane Dibbley wrote:I contacted the seller, so we'll see what kind of response I get. I went with the Samsung because it sounded like it read the best, if you could get past the sticking issue. The seller seems to have a stockpile of oXbox parts, so we'll see what he offers. If I get a refund instead of a replacement, I'll look into the Phillips drive. I considered just buying another oXbox and swapping drives, but then I ran the risk of getting another Thompson drive.

Good luck, hope you get that refund okay. Since the seller has a stack of them, could be worn drives pulled to repair Xbox consoles. That seller could have sold the entire console for more money unless he has a lot of defective consoles for some odd reason. The original Xbox does not have near the fail rate of the 360 consoles other then the disc reader itself.

The OP shows pictures how to identify the different disc readers. Maybe save the JPGs to your cell phone to assist verifying used Xbox consoles LOCALLY at Thrift Stores?