Wii and WiiU Sideways NES Control Games List

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

In designing the Wii, Nintendo had the foresight to include a NES Gamepad layout by spinning the remote sideways. I modded a Remote to accept a NES Gamepad and Atari 2600 Joysticks. I have a few Wii games that work very well with this arrangement and have been on a hunt for others.

CRTGAMER wrote:Part of the search difficulty of the Wii games is that Nintendo does not have a specific Icon on the game case cover representing Sideways NES Control, only a vertical Wiimote icon is shown.

Image Image

I did find a good list from GiantBomb but it is not complete or clear on which games require Motion Control. I decided to create a continually updated list with help from Racketboy Members. Please add any sideways control games. For purists who just want NES Gamepad functions only, please make a note if Motion Control is required.

CRTGAMER wrote:Indicators to confirm when a game is not a Sideways NES style
The Nunchuck is used for movement, not the DPad. In addition, sometimes when a DPad is used for movement it might be with the Wiimote in the vertical position such as in the Wii game Impossible Mission. Another and sure way to confirm is if the primary action buttons are A and B, not the 1 and 2 button of the sideways Wiimote.

I'll keep the OP List updated and include Motion if a game requires it.

1. Not interested in the driving Steering Tilt games unless a traditional NES control.
2. Any Sideways Control Wii or Wiiware game that emulates the NES Gamepad.
3. Not interested in a Virtual Console NES list, obviously all these work.
4. Please note if Motion detection as a secondary control is required.

The key here is the Remote turned sideways. The DPad, 1 and 2 buttons are the primary controls emulating a NES Game Pad. Games with Motion detection as a secondary feature are included as long as the NES Primary controls are utilized.

Wii Sideways NES Control Games List

Art Style: Light Trax
Balloon Pop
Blastworks
Bit. Trip Core
Bit. Trip Runner
Bomberman Blast
Castle of Shikigami III
Cruis'n
Doc Louis's Punch-Out
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Motion for various actions)
Dr. Mario Online Rx (Motion only in Virus Buster)
Dream Pinball 3D
Excitebike World Rally
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Fortune Street (Motion to roll dice)
Groovin Blocks (Wiiware and Disc)
Kirby's Dream Collection: Special Edition
Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wiimote pointer to select an item)
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Klonoa
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10
Metroid Other M (Motion for first person view)
Moto Heroz
Monkey King: The Legend Begins (Wimote tilt to change speed)
Namco Museum Megamix
NBA Jam (Motion)
New Super Mario Bros Wii (Motion for various actions and tilt)
Pirates Plundarrr (Motion for special attack)
Punch-Out
Retro City Rampage
Saint
Sonic and the Secret Rings (Motion for various actions)
Sonic Colors (Motion to unleash color power)
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I
Star Soldier R
Strong Bad's Cool Game (All episodes Mini Games)
Super Paper Mario (Motion)
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars
Tetris Party
Tetris Party Deluxe
Thruspace
Wario Land: Shake It! (Motion for various actions)

WiiU Sideways NES Control Games List

Mario Kart 8
New Super Luigi U
New Super Mario Brothers U
(More to add later)

References
NES Gamepad to Wii Remote Mod: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30455&p=605853#p605853
Sideways Wii Remote Gameplay Games: http://www.giantbomb.com/sideways-wii-r ... 361/games/

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:42 am, edited 42 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re: Which Wii games offer a Sideways NES control?

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Kirby's Return to Dreamland uses the same controller layout as Epic Yarn.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

retrosportsgamer wrote:Kirby's Return to Dreamland uses the same controller layout as Epic Yarn.

Thanks, added Kirby's Return to Dreamland. I removed Tron Battle Grids and the Bit Trip "Paddle" control games, not really a NES Gamepad style of gameplay.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

Cruis'n use both Motion and Sideway NES control.

Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

sevin0seven wrote:Cruis'n use both Motion and Sideway NES control.

Thanks. Cruis'n uses the DPad to shift, but is it just Motion Steering Tilt or does the DPad also have an option to steer? I'm keeping "Tilt the Remote" driving games off the list unless everyone wants me to add them. Pretty much any Wii driving game will be known to have the Steering Tilt motion, not quite the traditional NES Gamepad control style of the DPad and Action Buttons. However if the DPad is used as an option for steering, this seems to pay homage to NES Gamepad control.

The Motion games I have added in the OP are primary NES Gamepad Control with motion as a secondary feature such as the ground pound in Donkey Kong Country or Metroid Other M FPS view. Overall the game play focus is on the NES Gamepad control layout.

sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

CRTGAMER wrote:

Thanks. Cruis'n uses the DPad to shift, but is it just Motion Steering Tilt or does the DPad also have an option to steer? I'm keeping "Tilt the Remote" driving games off the list unless everyone wants me to add them. Pretty much any Wii driving game will be known to have the Steering Tilt motion, not quite the traditional NES Gamepad control style of the DPad and Action Buttons. However if the DPad is used as an option for steering, this seems to pay homage to NES Gamepad control.

The Motion games I have added in the OP are primary NES Gamepad Control with motion as a secondary feature such as the ground pound in Donkey Kong Country or Metroid Other M FPS view. Overall the game play focus is on the NES Gamepad control layout.

it also uses the D-pad to steer when you go to option to change it. i played and own the game. :wink:
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

sevin0seven wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:
Thanks. Cruis'n uses the DPad to shift, but is it just Motion Steering Tilt or does the DPad also have an option to steer?
it also uses the D-pad to steer when you go to option to change it. i played and own the game. :wink:

THANKS! Added Cruis'n to the OP list. :D

This is where the list will really come in handy, the Driving games will have that Driving Icon on the back, but one has to play the game or study the manual to find that DPad option. I really wish there was a specific NES Control Icon on the back of the case. Thanks again, a game discovered with full NES Controls! :mrgreen:

KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

Edit: Oops was already listed.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

I have the game put away right now.

but I do believe the Marble Saga Kororinpa Game for wii uses sideways control.

But you do have to tilt the wiimote in its controls.

This is the sequel so maybe part one is the same too?
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night

I haven't played enough of it to be able to really give any info on it. Don't remember motion controls being required but I could be wrong.