Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

Post by EllertMichael »

I DID IT! :D

I did NOT expect things to go so smoothly. But, wow. I finished this repair in an hour and my WEGA is back up and running! ('tis a good feeling, gents!)

the desoldering braid was a LIFE SAVER. my first time desoldering so I didn't know what to expect but this stuff is like magic. 4 bucks at radio shack and worth every penny. had the chips out in half an hour.

i knew the points were tiny (the smallest i've worked with yet) so I picked up some 0.032" diameter, 60/40 rosin-core solder. another 4 bucks at radio shack and this thin solder was a game changer. with my weller pen i was impressing myself how precise and clean this job was turning out. i really wish i took a pick of the soldering job before i closed it all up but i just couldn't wait to try it out!

went with the sockets so future repairs should be a breeze. gonna go ahead and order a few back-up chips just to have.

Thanks again to CRTGAMER for the guide! couldn't have done it without you, bud! :wink:
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

EllertMichael wrote:I did NOT expect things to go so smoothly. But, wow. I finished this repair in an hour and my WEGA is back up and running! ('tis a good feeling, gents!)

Congrats on the repair! Good call on using small diameter rosin core solder and the braid, it really helps. Did you use the revised MCZ3001DB chips? TSM is still out of stock, can you provide the link where you bought the chips? An alternate source that I'll add to the OP.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

CRTGAMER wrote:
EllertMichael wrote:I did NOT expect things to go so smoothly. But, wow. I finished this repair in an hour and my WEGA is back up and running! ('tis a good feeling, gents!)

Congrats on the repair! Good call on using small diameter rosin core solder and the braid, it really helps. Did you use the revised MCZ3001DB chips? TSM is still out of stock, can you provide the link where you bought the chips? An alternate source that I'll add to the OP.

Yes I used the MCZ3001DB chips. & Actually when I opened the tv the old chips that were in there were DB's

I got the two chips with two sockets for about $12 shipped from China from a seller on eBay. All in all I'm under $30 on the whole repair. Awesome :D
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

meat wrote:i picked up a toshiba CRT tv model number 24af42.i have notice the picture shakes some. Is it hard to fix or expensive??

Its starting to go bad, and might eventually lose the pic. I suspect something tied in with the Flyback Transformer, rear of the Tube Alignment Rings or could be something simple like a capacitor or potentiometer going bad. Look for any swelled or leaking capacitors.

It could be a number of things internally. Its VERY HAZARDOUS to start poking around certain parts of the insides even with the power unplugged if the tube is not properly discharged. Luckily replacement CRT TVs are cheap at the Thrift Stores and Swap Meet.

Sorry I can't be much help, be careful if you pop the back cover.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

meat
64-bit

Post by meat »

I didn't plan on opening it up.I will try some local tv repair shops,hopefully it won't be 2 expensive.I really like this CRT tv.
youtube@gamingtrucker1
twitter@gamingtrucker1
twitch@gamingtrucker1
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

A question for all CRT owners.
So it had been a while since I'd owned a CRT (unfortunately on an LCD for too many years) but I want to ask, how long does it take for your (anyone's) CRT to display the screen from when you've hit the power button?
Mine takes about 2~4 seconds. I'm just wondering if that's normal or a sign of old age.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

D.D.D. wrote:A question for all CRT owners.
So it had been a while since I'd owned a CRT (unfortunately on an LCD for too many years) but I want to ask, how long does it take for your (anyone's) CRT to display the screen from when you've hit the power button?
Mine takes about 2~4 seconds. I'm just wondering if that's normal or a sign of old age.

It is normal, all my CRTs are not instant on, usually takes a few seconds. Just the nature of the tube and degauss phase, has to "warm up". I still grit the teeth a little waiting for the picture to appear on the WEGAs, because of the marginal power detection chips. That dreaded click of the Relays, womp of the degauss and the red indicator light as it goes thru the startup check.

D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

CRTGAMER wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:A question for all CRT owners.

It is normal, all my CRTs are not instant on, usually takes a few seconds. Just the nature of the tube and degauss phase, has to "warm up". I still grit the teeth a little waiting for the picture to appear on the WEGAs, because of the marginal power detection chips. That dreaded click of the Relays, womp of the degauss and the red indicator light as it goes thru the startup check.

Glad to head that. I always power off on the main switch, not via remote control. It's just like you said, I hit the switch, hear the "womp", the crisping over the glass, and then a few seconds later, component 1. :)
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

D.D.D. wrote:Glad to hear that. I always power off on the main switch, not via remote control. It's just like you said, I hit the switch, hear the "womp", the crisping over the glass, and then a few seconds later, component 1. :)

I do this too, power on and off at the TV itself with just one press. This is the best way to prevent an accidental double cycling from the Remote and risk of blowing the power detection chip. If you have a WEGA CRT, you might want to pick up a couple spare chips dexscribed in the OP.

D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

I'd like to get spares but I'm not sure what my JP Wega model would match, then I've got international shipping, and that I have no experience soldering and makes me want to rely on the Sony dude that will come to my house. Just seems easier for my situation. :(