Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
RaH

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

Post by RaH »

Sony Model KV-36XBR400

Symptom: Would hear power attempt to come on, but you would not hear the system energize and it would just shut back off. Status light blink 7 times pause then repeat cycle.

D board contained 2 chips Shindengen MCZ3001D, A board 1 chip Shindengen MCZ3001D.

Ordered 4 chips, replaced 2 on D board with MCZ3001DB, powered up tv worked like a champ. It was at this time I realized there was a chip on the A board. Decided it didn't need replacing at this time.

Had gotten 18 pin IC sockets, decided not to use them due to space constraints on the D board of this model. 1 was way too close to a heat sink and would have left the socket touching it. De-soldering this board was very easy, used a suction bulb for solder removal.

Tools required: Phillips screwdriver, IC puller, soldering iron (I used a 40 watt, it seemed to be plenty), suction bulb, replacement chips, 18 pin IC sockets (optional), solder (can't remember the gauge at this time, was about as big around as a mechanical pencil lead)

Total repair time around 2 to 2 and a half hours. Most of the time was taking my time de-soldering. Actual soldering took about 5 minutes per chip. I took a 15 minute break every half hour during to rest both my eyes and give my muscles time to relax. This is not something you want to rush. There were a ton of small resistors very close to the pins of the chips and one bad solder placement or slip could have been severe. I even baked a cake while doing this.

At the end I had a working tv again, total cost about 3 hours of my time, and $40 in parts. I ordered 2 more chips than I thought I would need. My cake turned into a celebratory cake.

Thank you so much for posting this.

To those who have this tv and are wondering if you can do this repair. If you can follow instructions, have patience and a steady hand, a $40 repair beats a $400 repair bill or the price of a new tv. If you can change a light bulb you can probably do this repair. In essence you are just changing a part. Don't let the fact that it's electronic scare you. You really can't mess it up if it's broken.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

RaH wrote:Sony Model KV-36XBR400

D board contained 2 chips Shindengen MCZ3001D, A board 1 chip Shindengen MCZ3001D.

Ordered 4 chips, replaced 2 on D board with MCZ3001DB, powered up tv worked like a champ. It was at this time I realized there was a chip on the A board. Decided it didn't need replacing at this time.

At the end I had a working tv again, total cost about 3 hours of my time, and $40 in parts. I ordered 2 more chips than I thought I would need. My cake turned into a celebratory cake.

Thank you so much for posting this.
Thanks! Great story and congrats on getting your Sony fixed! The A Board rarely fails so you should be okay leaving the old chip in. The D Board chips are usually what goes bad. I'm curious about that heat sink being in the way, preventing using the sockets. Did you take any pics of the PCB while it was apart?

Found an owners manual for your Sony :D :
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KV32XBR400.PDF
Attachments
CRTGAMER Signatue System List.jpg
CRTGAMER Signatue System List.jpg (26.6 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

CRTGAMER wrote:Under Twenty Bucks
I went ahead and ordered a backup pair, just in case the chips ever fail again. Good that I installed the 18 pin sockets, it will be an easy fix the next go around. Best to get the chips while they are inexpensive and available. A phone order gave me a better shipping rate. :mrgreen:

Two Spare MCZ3001DB Chips - $16.23 Shipped
Just got the spare chips yesterday, less then a week for the delivery. Pictured are the new MCZ3001DB and original MCZ3001D chips. All are kept in the yellow envelope on the side of the HDTV. Should the WEGA ever fail again, easy to find and install the backup B chips. 8)

Anyone else have issues with their WEGA?
Attachments
Sony WEGA MCZ3001DB Chips.jpg
Sony WEGA MCZ3001DB Chips.jpg (164.48 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

I totally lucked out I think. The Wega I just won said in the listing that he had those chips replaced via Sony last August. How much would that run instead of 20 bucks? A few hundred maybe?
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

D.D.D. wrote:I totally lucked out I think. The Wega I just won said in the listing that he had those chips replaced via Sony last August. How much would that run instead of 20 bucks? A few hundred maybe?

At least a few hundred, especially if it was a Sony authorized service center. The service center probably used factory MCZ3001D chips which are not as reliable as the revised chips. Did the seller bring that up or just answered your concern? I am curious if it was repaired, if the repair shop went the extra step with sockets and the newer chips. The two ways you can tell if the repair was done is maybe sockets were installed and MCZ3001DB chips were installed. Most WEGAS have the older chips without that B in the part number. This doesn't really matter as long as the WEGA works. Maybe order a couple of spare chips while they are inexpensive and in stock just in case of a future breakdown.

D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

CRTGAMER wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:I totally lucked out I think. The Wega I just won said in the listing that he had those chips replaced via Sony last August. How much would that run instead of 20 bucks? A few hundred maybe?

At least a few hundred, especially if it was a Sony authorized service center. The service center probably used factory MCZ3001D chips which are not as reliable as the revised chips. Did the seller bring that up or just answered your concern? I am curious if it was repaired, if the repair shop went the extra step with sockets and the newer chips. The two ways you can tell if the repair was done is maybe sockets were installed and MCZ3001DB chips were installed. Most WEGAS have the older chips without that B in the part number. This doesn't really matter as long as the WEGA works. Maybe order a couple of spare chips while they are inexpensive and in stock just in case of a future breakdown.

Yeah I'm sure he wouldn't have a clue what was put as far as sockets, chips, etc. Most people just send in their broken TV and get it back working and are happy.
The TV was made/completed on 9/20/2002 so I'm sure it'll be good for at least that long (maybe more if since on average I use the TV an hour or 2 a day).
The extra chips is a good idea. Ordering within the month or so should be fine you think??
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

D.D.D. wrote:Yeah I'm sure he wouldn't have a clue what was put as far as sockets, chips, etc. Most people just send in their broken TV and get it back working and are happy.

The TV was made/completed on 9/20/2002 so I'm sure it'll be good for at least that long (maybe more if since on average I use the TV an hour or 2 a day).
The extra chips is a good idea. Ordering within the month or so should be fine you think??

You can pop the cover before you set it up if you are curious, just keep it upright. Maybe take it a step further and throw in a good tie down anchor pictured in the OP.

A month wait to order the chips is okay, I wouldn't wait a year though. Any WEGA owner should have the extra chips on hand. An uncommon fail, but good to have the spares. Years from now the chips might be hard to get.

D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

CRTGAMER wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:Yeah I'm sure he wouldn't have a clue what was put as far as sockets, chips, etc. Most people just send in their broken TV and get it back working and are happy.

You can pop the cover before you set it up if you are curious, just keep it upright. Maybe take it a step further and throw in a good tie down anchor pictured in the OP.

A month wait to order the chips is okay, I wouldn't wait a year though. Any WEGA owner should have the extra chips on hand. An uncommon fail, but good to have the spares. Years from now the chips might be hard to get.

I definitely want to get some spares... I just need to find out what IC I need for my set as the Japanese model numbers are different from US.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

D.D.D. wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:You can pop the cover before you set it up if you are curious, just keep it upright. Maybe take it a step further and throw in a good tie down anchor pictured in the OP.

I definitely want to get some spares... I just need to find out what IC I need for my set as the Japanese model numbers are different from US.

Should be the same two chips, pop that back cover to verify.

homerging

Post by homerging »

You may find this Japanese website about the MCZ3001D problem useful
http://www31.atwiki.jp/mcz3001d/