Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

Post by retrosportsgamer »

DDD> your best bet with what affects your TV is to use CRT's link to find how to reset your TV to the factory default settings. If that does not fix the curve, unfortunately, you're most likely out of luck. I spent hours trying to fix the bend that my WEGA 24" had - the standard tilt didn't help it nor any of the geometry changes.

A skilled technician that would open up the TV would be able to replace what ails this.

That AVS link is $$$ though CRT. I've had it bookmarked.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I was hoping that it would have been simple and straightforward but I don't wanna screw up my TV.
So I found the number for Sony's repair center on the manual and apparently, to have someone come out to the house is only $30! They said that to have the chips replaced on it would be about $220 if it needed it (I doubt it since it was just done by the guy whom I bought the TV from 18 months ago - and included a new remote).

Oh and my remote pix. http://imgur.com/f1nXn,rBzoD#0 They're still readily available for about $35.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

D.D.D. wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I was hoping that it would have been simple and straightforward but I don't wanna screw up my TV.
So I found the number for Sony's repair center on the manual and apparently, to have someone come out to the house is only $30! They said that to have the chips replaced on it would be about $220 if it needed it (I doubt it since it was just done by the guy whom I bought the TV from 18 months ago - and included a new remote).

Oh and my remote pix. http://imgur.com/f1nXn,rBzoD#0 They're still readily available for about $35.

The chips will be good to get just in case of another failure. At least it sounds like yours got the upgrade already, hopefully sockets were used.

:shock: I knew the Remote would be special after seeing the drawing in the manual!

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

AznKhmerBoi wrote:I recently picked up a 32" Sony Wega Trinitron HD flat screen tv
model # KV-32HS510 and for some odd reason the picture was very warped. I managed to get into the service menu and messed around the settings. The picture now is much better and not as warped as before, but still a little noticeable.

Just curious if you have any idea or know the best numbers to input in the service menu to get it perfect so it is not warped.

Thanks.

I steer clear of the Service Menu, it would be my misfortune to use the wrong setting and brick my hard to replace WEGA. Others have used it, you can see from previous pages. I do have a slight curve on the KV32HS500, but its not enough for me to worry about, only noticeable in widescreen non anamorphic movies.

On both of me WEGAs I had to set the Tilt +2 to the right, curious if yours also had to rotate clockwise slightly.

There is a detailed instruction over at the AVS Forum, just be careful and write down the old codes just in case a wrong setting is used.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=531494
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

Post by AznKhmerBoi »

CRTGAMER wrote:I steer clear of the Service Menu, it would be my misfortune to use the wrong setting and brick my hard to replace WEGA. Others have used it, you can see from previous pages. I do have a slight curve on the KV32HS500, but its not enough for me to worry about, only noticeable in widescreen non anamorphic movies.

On both of me WEGAs I had to set the Tilt +2 to the right, curious if yours also had to rotate clockwise slightly.

There is a detailed instruction over at the AVS Forum, just be careful and write down the old codes just in case a wrong setting is used.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=531494

Yea there is a tilt function on the normal setting options, but it doesnt really help out the warping. Like i said early, i managed to get into the service menu and familiarise with some the options in there. I managed to tweak various area of the tv that was warped really bad.

What i did was connect a my laptop to the tv and used a generic grid pattern to adjust the warp. Its not perfect, but I say its about 90% closer to almost perfect.

I was just curiious if there is a perfect set number to input into the service menu to get a factory perfect non-warped screen.
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

AznKhmerBoi wrote:Yea there is a tilt function on the normal setting options, but it doesnt really help out the warping. Like i said early, i managed to get into the service menu and familiarise with some the options in there. I managed to tweak various area of the tv that was warped really bad.

What i did was connect a my laptop to the tv and used a generic grid pattern to adjust the warp. Its not perfect, but I say its about 90% closer to almost perfect.

I was just curiious if there is a perfect set number to input into the service menu to get a factory perfect non-warped screen.
Hit that link in my previous Reply. Maybe RyaNtheSlayA might chime in, posted a couple pages back with a pic of the service menu.

I also found your owners manual and product brochures, doesn't help for service codes but nice to have a PDF.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-hom ... manualsTab

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Anyways, I'm not sure if there was a specific menu you want a picture of but here's a screenshot:

AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

Post by AznKhmerBoi »

Thanks for the manual CRT, also i would like to hook up my PS3 to the tv and just curious if you have any suggestion for DVI to HDMI cables?

I was looking at this HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable (9.8 Feet/3.0 Meters)
on Amazon for about $7...

Any thoughts or suggestions?
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

AznKhmerBoi wrote:Thanks for the manual CRT, also i would like to hook up my PS3 to the tv and just curious if you have any suggestion for DVI to HDMI cables?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

That Amazon cable should work, but it will only be for the video portion. You will still need to connect the RCA Audio jacks as well. I have a similar arrangement to hookup my cable box and DVD player.

julian49

Post by julian49 »

Thankyou for posting this step by step procedure.
I have just completed a repair on my Sony widescreen CRT TV model KV-HR32. It is about 7-8 years old.
A few months ago, on pressing the power switch, the TV occasionally went into standby mode and the red light blinked 10 times. The TV did run properly sometimes, but it was erratic.
The self-diagnosis function suggested that IC8002 (IC MCZ3001DB) on the D board was faulty, and that transistors Q8013 and Q8014, and fusible resistor R8051 could be affected.
This seemed to be a common problem, judging by the forum posts.

Although there are two MCZ3001DB chips on the D board, I decided to only replace the one at location IC8002. (If this was not successful I could replace the other components if necessary.) The procedure was followed, disconnecting the D board except for the fly back transformer. This was sufficient to slide the D board out to get access to the lower side to do the de-soldering and soldering.
A socket was soldered into place and the new chip installed. The D board was re-connected, everything was very carefully checked, then the TV was switched ON.
The TV is working normally again.
I doubt I would have attempted this repair without this procedure, but so long as care is taken, it is not so difficult.
Thank you again for posting this.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

julian49 wrote:Thankyou for posting this step by step procedure.
I have just completed a repair on my Sony widescreen CRT TV model KV-HR32. It is about 7-8 years old.

Great that your TV is working, and thanks for the Feedback. Also welcome to Racketboy!

I recommend turning the TV on only once a day or at least wait a few hours for cool down before turning back on again. The PCB should handle multiple fire ups, but since there is a problem with the power detection chips, best to keep the on/off cycles to a minimum.