Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
User avatar
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11933
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

by CRTGAMER Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:21 pm

Adjusting Older CRT Overscan and Other Settings
Most CRTs tend to display an image overscanned to ensure there is no border. This sometimes is set too high resulting in logos of a TV program or scores on a game being cut off. Newer TVs have a hidden service menu which can compensate this. On older CRT TVs the internal potentiometers are the only way to fix the overscan. As pointed out earlier there is a VERY HIGH VOLTAGE RISK.

However, if you keep clear of the Flyback Transfomer and the back of the tube and just adjust the pots with the right tools, it is safe. Note that the TV has to be on so you can see what the adjustments are doing.

CRTGAMER wrote:Be careful, VERY HIGH VOLTAGE around the back of the tube and the fat wire from the CRT to the Flyback Transformer.

The risk is small as long as you are very careful where you put your hands and screwdriver, ideally a "plastic" tuning screwdriver is the best way. A jewelers screwdriver will work, just be careful not to short out anything. The TV has to be on to see what is going on. Go in small increments when turning a pot, remember where you start from.

Image

Usually there will be a bank of Potentiometers inside. These will have settings for tint, color, VHold and HHold as well as horizontal and vertical settings.

Image

The Focus Pot is normally on the Flyback Transformer box like this. The fat wire cup goes to the CRT. KEEP CLEAR OF THE WIRES DUE TO HIGH VOLTAGE.

Image

---------------------------------------------------------------

homerging wrote:You may find this Japanese website about the MCZ3001D problem useful
http://www31.atwiki.jp/mcz3001d/

Thanks! One of the links there shows a schematic of the chip, how it communicates. The chips act as a safety switch, controlling power to the WEGA when voltage detection is off. Perhaps the chips are failing because of heat sensitivity throwing off detection of the correct voltage. This might explain why blowing a fan over the chips sometimes works.

MCZ3001D Schematic.jpg
MCZ3001D Schematic.jpg (91.58 KiB) Viewed 3791 times

I received a Remote and Owners Manual from tvaddicted, a member at the AVS Forum. The remote is from a KV-HS32420 works beautiful as a spare for my KV-32HS500. This confirms the KVHS series all utilize the same basic PCB Board. Since my HDTV has no chips on the A Board, I suspect all of the KVHS TVs are similar with just the two chips on the D Board.

Sony WEGA Remotes and Manuals.jpg
Sony WEGA Remotes and Manuals.jpg (148.39 KiB) Viewed 3808 times

The Owners Manual offered some interesting information.

Differences between of the two HDTVs
KV-32HS500 .................. KV-32HS420
Remote has Joystick ........ Remote has Pad
DVI Input ......................... HDMI Input
No Zoom ......................... Zoom Capable
Memory Reader ............... No Memory Reader

Note the No Zoom feature and older DVI Input on my 4:3 KV-32HS500 CRT. When my HDTV was purchased, HD was in its infancy, so settings such as zoom, widescreen and full adjustments were not yet incorporated. Interesting that the KV-32HS420 which is also a 4:3 HD CRT has the additional screen control features. The video settings might be hidden in the Firmware Service menu on my TV, no way will I risk bricking though. I used my Cablebox and DVD player screen settings to get around this.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue May 14, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Image
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Image
Image
RaH
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:23 am

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

by RaH Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:59 am

Just a follow-up. Sadly I did not take any pics during the process. Was more worried about getting it working. I'll have to yank the cover off sometime and get some pics. I did however find a ton of cat hair and some cat barf inside the unit. Luckily the barf had landed A board side well off of electronics. The previous owner must have had a cat that spent alot of time on top of the set, probably for the heat.

Well here it is a month later and the set is still working like a champ.

Next project is a Pioneer plasma I got for free. It has a blown resistor on the PSU, some googleing suggest a new PSU that has been revised to get rid of that issue. There was a class action suit against Pioneer due to those PSU, sadly I got mine for free and well after the time expiration to have the set fixed for free. Still though a newer PSU is $200 so a nice plasma for a $200 fix is a win for me.
User avatar
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11933
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

by CRTGAMER Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:40 pm

RaH wrote:Just a follow-up. Sadly I did not take any pics during the process. Was more worried about getting it working. I'll have to yank the cover off sometime and get some pics. I did however find a ton of cat hair and some cat barf inside the unit. Luckily the barf had landed A board side well off of electronics. The previous owner must have had a cat that spent alot of time on top of the set, probably for the heat.

Well here it is a month later and the set is still working like a champ.

Next project is a Pioneer plasma I got for free. It has a blown resistor on the PSU, some googleing suggest a new PSU that has been revised to get rid of that issue. There was a class action suit against Pioneer due to those PSU, sadly I got mine for free and well after the time expiration to have the set fixed for free. Still though a newer PSU is $200 so a nice plasma for a $200 fix is a win for me.

Thats crazy about the cat barf! Good to read the TV is holding out, looking forward to the pics.

For the Plasma, curious if the power supply has the same chips inside, maybe take a look before you invest in a whole Power Supply Unit? Also just soldering in a new resistor might take care of it?
Image
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Image
Image
RaH
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:23 am

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

by RaH Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:26 pm

As for the cat barf, I didn't bother cleaning it out as it's been so long the acidic nature of it has caused some minor corrosion.

It's not the chips sadly. I looked up the trouble code and it's directly related to a design flaw in the psu that blows out a resistor. R133 I think it is on the board. I'm not sure what caused it to blow, I could replace the resistor anyway and try the tv, but I'm afraid if I don't fix what blew the resistor in the first place I could further damage the set. I'd rather spend the $250 for the PSU. Plus I wouldn't have a clue as to how to trace what caused it.

When I turned it on I heard a popping noise and knew it was either a resistor or a cap that blew out.
User avatar
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11933
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

by CRTGAMER Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:30 am

Just quoted a list from the AVS Forum of Sonys that have the marginal chips. Anyone who has problems with their Sony can verify from the list if their TV has the marginal chips is inside.

If you Sony is on the list, maybe order the inexpensive chips while you can still get them. Just in case of a future breakdown. In the second Reply.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=32118&p=458439#p458439
Image
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Image
Image
ktowncrunch
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

by ktowncrunch Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Just completed this repair on my KV36XBR800. The old D-board chips were MCZ3001D. Originally I called a repairman that was only going to charge $200 for a housecall and fix. Pretty reasonable for Los Angeles, but then I discovered this guide and thought I'd give the DIY fix a try. Happy I did. The only really hard part was waiting for the chips to arrive which forced me to watch the Breaking Bad season finale at a friends place!

Thanks to the O.P. for the awesome guide. I had no soldering experience before this project and from this post and some youtube vids sort of learned on the fly. Practiced on an old VCR circuit board first to get the hang of it. Used the braided wick to desolder and had to do the "melt the old solder and add a little new solder then use the braided wick" method, but it worked out.

Luckily I had the TV on the stand and didn't have to move it to do the repair. I recommend sitting on a small stool with a cushion as the desoldering process takes awhile and a certain body part may fall asleep.

I plugged the chips into the sockets before I soldered them in. I figured this was easier than pushing them into the sockets after the solder. That's the only thing I would change about the guide.

After the fix, I plugged it in and it turned on automatically.

My TV has been going since April 2003 and hopefully the fix keeps it going for awhile. Ordered backup chips just in case. Love this TV. If anyone knows where to get an original (reasonably priced) remote let me know.

Cheers and good luck to all of you!
User avatar
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11933
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

by CRTGAMER Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:40 pm

ktowncrunch wrote:Just completed this repair on my KV36XBR800. The old D-board chips were MCZ3001D. Originally I called a repairman that was only going to charge $200 for a housecall and fix. Pretty reasonable for Los Angeles, but then I discovered this guide and thought I'd give the DIY fix a try. Happy I did. The only really hard part was waiting for the chips to arrive which forced me to watch the Breaking Bad season finale at a friends place!

Thanks to the O.P. for the awesome guide. I had no soldering experience before this project and from this post and some youtube vids sort of learned on the fly. Practiced on an old VCR circuit board first to get the hang of it. Used the braided wick to desolder and had to do the "melt the old solder and add a little new solder then use the braided wick" method, but it worked out.

Luckily I had the TV on the stand and didn't have to move it to do the repair. I recommend sitting on a small stool with a cushion as the desoldering process takes awhile and a certain body part may fall asleep.

I plugged the chips into the sockets before I soldered them in. I figured this was easier than pushing them into the sockets after the solder. That's the only thing I would change about the guide.

After the fix, I plugged it in and it turned on automatically.

My TV has been going since April 2003 and hopefully the fix keeps it going for awhile. Ordered backup chips just in case. Love this TV. If anyone knows where to get an original (reasonably priced) remote let me know.

Cheers and good luck to all of you!

Welcome to Racketboy
Thanks for the Feedback and congrats on fixing your Sony! This is my best reward for making these Guides, knowing that I helped someone repair or mod a component. :D

A good point on installing the chip before soldering, especially if in a tight area. I prefer to insert the chips half way in the socket to get the pins aligned correctly. I then remove the chips before soldering in the sockets to avoid heat damage risk.

Check back at the AVS Forum linked in the OP, unfortunately some get discouraged there and give up in repairing their rare Trinitrons. I got a free spare remote for my TV from there. The member was nice and only charged for shipping.

Found your Owners Manual: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KV36XBR800.pdf
Image
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Image
Image
ktowncrunch
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

by ktowncrunch Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:41 pm

Cheers!

I originally discovered your guide in that enormous AVS thread. Your guide should be on the front page as it's much easier to follow than the varied written descriptions I first read.

I'm sure you've saved people thousands of dollars and a lot of hassle and back pain in 300 pound TV disposals.

That makes sense about inserting the chips post solder to protect them from heat damage. I'm a novice at this, but your excellent guide made a seemingly difficult job very smooth.

Thanks for the link to the manual and info on remotes! I found one on ebay, but it would be $25 including shipping. I'm a cheapskate and not in a hurry so I'll wait till something comes along.

Thanks again and have fun gaming on your CRT!!!
User avatar
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9207
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:56 pm
Location: Denver CO, USA

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

by RyaNtheSlayA Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:40 pm

Any way to fix rotation on a WEGA 24FS120? The rotation correction option isn't enough. :x

Perhaps I'm being too picky, but I've got everything set up all nice through the service menu but the last noticeable distortion is the tilting image. It's not real noticeable, but if there's a straight line near the top or bottom of the screen it's definitely noticeable.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
User avatar
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11933
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

by CRTGAMER Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:50 pm

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Any way to fix rotation on a WEGA 24FS120? The rotation correction option isn't enough. :x

Perhaps I'm being too picky, but I've got everything set up all nice through the service menu but the last noticeable distortion is the tilting image. It's not real noticeable, but if there's a straight line near the top or bottom of the screen it's definitely noticeable.

There is the hidden Factory Service Menu for fine tuning all the variables. You press some buttons on the Remote while powering on. I avoid it due to a slight risk of bricking the TV if done wrong. Check out the AVS Forum Link in the OP.
Image
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Image
Image
Return to Guides

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests