Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

Re: CRTGAMER Wii Thread

by Weekend_Warrior Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:19 pm

Opa Opa wrote:
Weekend_Warrior wrote:Interesting design indeed. But RE4 would be almost unplayable with the fire button (A) on the side like that.

The "A" button isn't necessary as I recall as long as you use the nunchuck's buttons to perform its function.
You need the B button to aim and the A button to shoot
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:23 pm

Weekend_Warrior wrote:
Opa Opa wrote:
Weekend_Warrior wrote:Interesting design indeed. But RE4 would be almost unplayable with the fire button (A) on the side like that.

The "A" button isn't necessary as I recall as long as you use the nunchuck's buttons to perform its function.
You need the B button to aim and the A button to shoot

Oh crap. Wrong game. I was thinking the rail-shooters. I just saw RE and didn't look at the "4". My bad.
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

by Weekend_Warrior Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:25 pm

Oh, you were thinking Umbrella Chronicles? Ok. I've never played that game. It's on my list of "Wanted Wii Games" though :wink:

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:33 pm

I recently ordered two PS2 to Wii Remote Mayflash Adaptors that allows using any PS1 or PS2 controller in place of the Wii classic. A side benefit is AUTO FIRE. Since the adaptor takes place of the Nunchuck, my hope is maybe I could also tie the Auto Fire to House of the Dead 2. I'll post a review here once they arrive and my HD CRT holds up.

Opa Opa wrote:Been meaning to tell you CRT, look up Vertigo. It looks like your kind of game, I think.
That looks pretty good, a Marble Madness game controlled with the Remote. Reviews show as a tight "turn on a dime" with a twist the remote. Thanks, I'll have to pick this up. :mrgreen:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

by Weekend_Warrior Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Sounds good. I have a "FPS Master" controller for PS2 that I'd like to use on Goldeneye. So this adapter review is of great interest to me. :)

Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Re: CRTGAMER trying a current console, the Wii

by Nintendork666 Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:45 am

Nintendork666 wrote:DKC: Returns is decent enough, but they changed too many simple gameplay elements around, and it pales so strongly to the original trilogy that I can't recommend it whatsoever.

I'd like to correct myself on this. I popped my disc in to give it another shot today and had a heap of fun! It's much better when you're able to view it for what it is rather than what it isn't. The level design is actually very inventive, and the new moves add a bit of variety to the gameplay.

I miss K. Rool and the Kremlings and the other DKC trademark baddies, but being that they're Rare characters, their absence from Returns is understandable. I think the simultaneous 2 player was a bad idea. I've always hated that, since it leads to awkward camera issues. The addition of extra health, and auto-save makes this much less difficult than the original games as well. However, I still died plenty of times.

Overall, it is what it is. It needs more Funky Kong.
PC [Xeon 1231 + RTX 2070] O.G. Xbox PSP 3000Image
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:53 am

Nintendork666 wrote:
Nintendork666 wrote:DKC: Returns is decent enough, but they changed too many simple gameplay elements around, and it pales so strongly to the original trilogy that I can't recommend it whatsoever.

I'd like to correct myself on this. I popped my disc in to give it another shot today and had a heap of fun! It's much better when you're able to view it for what it is rather than what it isn't. The level design is actually very inventive, and the new moves add a bit of variety to the gameplay.

I miss K. Rool and the Kremlings and the other DKC trademark baddies, but being that they're Rare characters, their absence from Returns is understandable. I think the simultaneous 2 player was a bad idea. I've always hated that, since it leads to awkward camera issues. The addition of extra health, and auto-save makes this much less difficult than the original games as well. However, I still died plenty of times.

Overall, it is what it is. It needs more Funky Kong.

Nintendo do own the rights to all those kremling characters though. Donkey Kong Jet Race had some kremlings in it, K.Rool has been in at least one of the king of swing games and kremlings are the goalkeepers in the mario strikers games.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Nintendork666 wrote:

Is there a way to play with -just- a classic controller or something? I got the impression that it had an alt jump activated with a controller shake, like NSMB Wii - and that "feature" basically is the reason I didn't buy the game. I absolutely despise that play mechanic. Hated it in Heavy Rain too.
equalsign
Next-Gen

by equalsign Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:47 pm

isiolia wrote:
Nintendork666 wrote:

Is there a way to play with -just- a classic controller or something? I got the impression that it had an alt jump activated with a controller shake, like NSMB Wii - and that "feature" basically is the reason I didn't buy the game. I absolutely despise that play mechanic. Hated it in Heavy Rain too.

Don't own the game, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have that option. Wii remote only. I don't think it has an alt jump waggle, but it does make you use waggle for a ground pound move (which isn't so bad) and for the roll (which is a sin). They even had a spare button they could have used, I hear.

By the way CRT, I hadn't heard of Geon Cube. Is it any good?
Looking for Animal Crossing e Reader cards! - link
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:21 pm

equalsign wrote:Don't own the game, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have that option. Wii remote only. I don't think it has an alt jump waggle, but it does make you use waggle for a ground pound move (which isn't so bad) and for the roll (which is a sin). They even had a spare button they could have used, I hear.

By the way CRT, I hadn't heard of Geon Cube. Is it any good?
A shame there is no classic controller option for Wii Donkey Kong. As for Geon Cube it is frustrating playing against the bot. I have to really learn all the different powers to beat a level. The timed levels are more relaxed for learning the mazes. A great price used at Gamestop.

For those who have not tried Geon Cube, I did a review here:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=430332#p430332
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Return to Guides