Wii Gamecube Guide - Emio The Edge as Wii Arcade Stick

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Wii U Review - 1080p and Traditional Control

Post by CRTGAMER »

UPDATE: Posted at the bottom of this post; the different bundle release information.

I managed to get a first hand look at the Wii U from a recent Club Nintendo Lounge invite. You can see more pictures on the previous page and further down on this page of the Wii U and 3DSXL. I went in expecting the console's Touch Screen controller to be unwieldy and bulky, but was pleasantly surprised.

Wii U Tablet Touch Screen
Combine the secondary Touch Screen features of the DS with your HDTV screen. Statistics and maps can be viewed off the screen without pausing a game. The two Analog sticks are now real sticks, not the Flat discs of the earlier Wii U model.

The sticks include buttons underneath just like a Duel Shock and are also moved out a little on the panel. This puts it at a great placement for ease of using the DPad and Face buttons. In the front underside are four Trigger buttons. The controls are further apart compared to a regular game controller to accommodate the Touch Screen. Even with the wider stance, the controller is still very comfortable; you just have your hands a little further apart. I am loving the Analog sticks, smooth circle movement and no more Octagon Stops compared to the Wii Nunchuck. 8)

Nintendo Lounge Wii U White Case.jpg
Nintendo Lounge Wii U White Case.jpg (103.87 KiB) Viewed 8966 times

The Wii U Tablet includes a TV control button which pops up a TV Remote on the Touch Screen for your HDTV. The LCD Touch Screen is 6.2 inches and also has Tilt Sensors and Gyroscopes similar to a Wii Remote. Even with all this, the controller is not overbearing and is very light.

An Older Concept
The Sega Dreamcast had the right idea incorporating a screen right in the controller with a VMU. Nintendo expanded on this by including an additional concept. Anyone ever play any of older Vortek Virtual Arcade games such as Beachhead? Virtual Reality games were the rage a decade ago but did not quite make a big splash. The Vortek movable screen worked reasonably well, but maybe too weird a concept in its day. The springs and weights had to be set correctly to allow an almost free float for a proper realism. The Wii U expanded on the Vortek cab by incorporating the virtual screen into the tablet.

Virtual Window
There was a tech demo called Panorama View showing the capabilities of the Wii U Tablet virtual mode. Visit various countries and view any angle while in complete motion such as riding a boat or walking around in real time. The Wii U Tablet becomes a window as if you are actually standing on the bus in London or walking in Japan. Spin around to see up, down and a complete circle. All the video is pre-encoded but it shows potential of what can be done.

This is where the Wii U Touch screen really shines. There is no tether so the gamer has complete freedom to spin the pad in any direction. I can see a Rail Shooter would work beautiful with this, imagine REZ in all the way around you view! Or go another route with an FPS, look up, down, left, right and strafe virtual mode for Golden Eye! :shock:

There is a built in sensor bar on the Touchscreen. This allows the controller to become the main screen thus freeing up the HDTV for regular viewing. It also has a near field communication sensor on the left side. This looks to be a reader similar in function to the GBA E-Reader, my guess is a RFID Chip Reader as in the Activision Skylanders series. Pokemon cards and toy figurines could be read the same way.

Wii U Console
The console is similar in size to the horizontal Wii in either black or white. There is no hard drive, which means less storage, but maybe this makes the console more reliable. Since there is no internal hard drive, this alludes that most games will be in the Wii Optical Disc format. Undetermined if online authentication would be needed for the Wii U games. The console also supports older Wii games as well as the Wii Remote, Balance Board, Nunchuck and Classic Controller. 8)

The back side of the newer console has the same connections as regular Wii. Additional connections include HDMI and USB ports. The USB port is interesting, right now slotted for an external drive. A possibility of supporting various USB controllers later on? I'm thinking Flight and Arcade Sticks :idea:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30582

Wii U will support external hard disk storage via USB connection. At the Nintendo Analysts meeting at E3, Nintendo confirmed that the Wii U will not contain an internal hard disk, instead letting users provide their own storage using cheaper external USB drives.

While the Wii U will almost certainly provide a nominal amount of internal flash storage for game saves and some game downloads, the size of full Wii U retail downloads will require users to provide an external storage device of their own. Wii U specs have for a long time shown USB 2.0 support (there are four USB ports on the current Wii U console hardware design). Alternatively, the Wii U also has an SD Card slot which could ostensibly used for a similar purpose.

No internal drive, one less component contributing to heat that could induce a failure of a console.

Wii Daily wrote:http://wiiudaily.com/2012/06/batman-arkham-city-wii-u-vs-ps3-comparison/

Eurogamer recently analyzed the Wii U hardware and found that while the new console is not that much more powerful than current gen systems, Wii U games are already looking better than on competing consoles. Batman Arkham City for example, features a better draw distance, higher resolution textures, and better effects on the Wii U compared to the PlayStation 3 version. Eurogamer’s analysis of Arkham City reveals that the Wii U edition of the game has a different lighting model with more light sources, motion blur, and new textures. Finally, the Wii U version features FXAA anti-aliasing, something that the PS3 version didn’t have.

There are more specifications at the bottom of this Reply, but now to the meat and potatoes of the system. Here is a look of a few games I tried from the exhibit.

Batman: Arkham City: Armoured Edition
The Wii never saw a release of Batman Arkham, nice to see an upgrade come out on the Wii U. A Warner Brothers game rep was there getting public input on the Wii U release. Overall the game looked and played similar to older releases and adding the tilt feature for certain "mini games". For instance, the tilt control is used for remote flying the batarang was not sensitive enough, a good move to allow the analog stick option.

Game & Wario
Bunch of mini games. I only tried the shutter game which reminds me of the Alfred Hitchcock movie Rear Window. Take pictures Pokemon Snap style to capture zoomed in pics of the criminals hiding.

Lego City Undercover
This game was an early developer release so it was hands off and just watch. The vendor demonstrated it and pointed out the features. Once in a while it would lock up, understandable since the game is still being developed. Control a police character appropriately called Chase to hunt down criminals. Open world as in Grand Theft Auto including "Police Acquisition" of any vehicle.

There are Lego block building puzzles to reach different levels. Nice use of using the Touchscreen to look around scanning buildings, reminded me of the graphics in Metal Gear VR Missions.

New Super Mario Bros U
Another sideways control multi player game. Very nice to see NES style of gameplay in the new games. The Tablet player uses the touchscreen to make blocks appear for Mario to land on. It can also be used to block Mario from reaching a platform, handy in party games when you want to favor one opponent. I was a little bored as the Tablet holder with the touch blocks here and there, started to get monotonous.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Traditional style control using the analog sticks and buttons. Sword slashing similar in gameplay to Devil May Cry. It also supports the new version of the Classic Controller described below.

Pikmin 3
As in the Wii Play Control Pikimin remakes, this plays very similar. The Tablet is set aside as an overhead map view port and a Wii Remote with Nunchuck is used. The Remote is handy for instant pointing for calling and sending Pikmin to objects. However, a double edged sword. An object has to be continually aimed at with the Remote while sending in waves of Pikmin to attack. This can be hectic when rapidly mashing the button while keeping the Remote pointed. There is also a new Rock Pikmin for quickly knocking down walls. The Tablet has a very nice "Look Ahead" Command and Conquer style simply by dragging the Touch Screen.

Hopefully both the WiiU Analog sticks and Wimote controller will be supported in the final release. I mentioned this to the representative when play testing the game. This would take the best features of both the GC and Wii versions offering each controller mode depending on what part of the game.

Project P-100
The main character reminds me of Viewtiful Joe but in an isometric overhead view. Control a group of people lemmings style to fight the giant robots. The Wii U controller is put to great use here. Traditional movement and attacks are with the analog sticks and buttons.

The Touch Screen has a novel use in selecting a special attack. The group you control form up to a giant weapon during special attacks. Draw a right angle for a Gun or draw a circle for a Fist. There is also a giant Sword attack enabled with a straight line draw, a guess what other attacks become available as the game progresses. The Special Attack Selection can be done on the fly without even looking at the controller, very impressive.

Rayman Legends
Similar Gameplay to Rayman Origins. A sideways Remote game that also works with the Classic Controller! The touchcreen was a disappointment for the second player. A follow along and touch objects as the screen scrolls. Dot here dot there on the touch tablet, a bit monotonous.

Scribblenauts Unlimited
A game for the younger crowd. Reminds me of Living Books in a way, the try this to discover something. Create new "toys" to play with simply by typing in a noun on the tablet. Type in ROCKET and the kid can launch the toy rocket, type in CAT which can be petted or carried. The game looks to have potential, create interactive objects to unlock new levels as in the Wii game Drawn To Life.

Wii Fit U
The Balance Board is also compatible with the Wii U. The Tablet Screen displays statistics such as calories burned during a workout. As in other games it can also become the main screen so the TV can be freed up for regular viewing. I tried the fire fighter that basically turned the Balance Board into a Fire Button, a little lame. There is a trampoline jump that was a little better. The best is a Luge snow sledding game where one lays on the Balance board balancing with just the butt. Its silly but a very good pull of the abdominal muscles, lean into the curves on the screen.

Check out the video at the end. In what looks like a proposed concept, a personal "Pocket Station" is used to upload workouts that were done away from the Wii U. :shock:

Image Wii Fit U

QTE gamers wrote: http://www.qtegamers.com/2012/06/ninten ... wii-u.html

Nintendo have detailed the new Wii Fit game coming to the Wii U. Wii Fit U uses the GamePad, WiiMote, And a new peripheral called the Fit Meter. the Fit Meter comes with the game and it counts the steps you take during the day whilst your away from the Wii Fit.

ZombieU
FPS Zombie game. The tablet at first seemed to be just used as a scrolling overhead map as in DS games. It also has an inventory screen but different versus Resident Evil and Silent Hill. While you are playing with the inventory on the tablet, its still real time on the main screen! The tablet also offers a nice look around zoom mode for head shots.

There were a set of party style games displayed that will be part of a Launch title called Nintendo Land. Most were very addicting, I can see Pacman Vs inspiration in two of the games. Unclear if this or any other games reviewed above will be a packin game.

Nintendo Land Animal Crossing Sweet Day
A party game, run around collecting balloons with a sideways Remote. The main player holding the Wii U tablet is "it" and has to catch the other characters. The Tablet uses BOTH analog sticks to control two characters to home in on the Wii Remote gamers running away. Reminds be of multi tasking Cookie & Cream to reach a goal, in this case cornering an opponent. The balloon collectors also slow down if they get too greedy and collect too many balloons. I found a good strategy is stay near empty until an opponent gets caught and loses all their balloons, then rush in for a big scoop. Fun party game! :D

Nintendo Land Crash Course
This was a nice surprise. A little bit of Incredible Machine mixed with Excitebike to make it thru a course. The tablet is tilted to move a car thru an obstacle course. Operate the buttons to control platforms. If the car is moved too fast or slow it could flip or crash. The Tablet screen shows a zoomed view and the TV has the entire play field. Not clear if the game will allow user made levels, it screams for this capability.

Nintendo Lounge Wii U Crash Course.jpg
Nintendo Lounge Wii U Crash Course.jpg (120.31 KiB) Viewed 8966 times

Nintendo Land Luigi's Mansion
Another Pacman Vs inspired game. The difference here is everyone has a full view of the screen. Only the Tablet holder can see his own ghost. Catch Luigi before they shine a flashlight on you. The other players use sideways control Remotes that vibrate when the ghost is near.

Nintendo Land Ninja Stars
Use the tablet to shoot ninja stars by rapidly dragging across the touchscreen. Aim by pointing the "plate of Ninja Stars" Tablet at the screen.

Nintendo Land Zelda Battle Quest
On the rails movement controlled by the Wii U Tablet player. Swing and flick the Wii Remote to sword slash at enemies.

Wii U Pro Controller
I was very lucky to get a first try at the new Wii U Pro Wireless Controller which is the Wii U's version of the Wii Classic Pro Controller. It has all the same buttons and also includes Home, Power, + and - just like a Wii Remote. As in the Tablet, the best feature is No more Octagon Stops that have been in every generation Nintendo since the N64, Gamecube and Wii. The sticks now move in a very smooth circular motion.

In addition, there is a button under each Analog Stick just like a Sony Duel Shock. The secondary right and left triggers have an unusual vertical shape, maybe to highlight as in older system controller's Z button?

Very nice to hold a controller that has not been released yet :mrgreen:
Nintendo Lounge Wii U Wireless Pro Classic Controller.jpg
Nintendo Lounge Wii U Wireless Pro Classic Controller.jpg (108.72 KiB) Viewed 8966 times

Conclusion
Overall I am very pleased with the Wii U. The console makes a return to duel stick analog controls, triggers and face buttons with a Touch Screen bonus augmentation. The shake the Remote concept really has almost vanished from the Wii U games. I saw the Wii Remote wave used only in a few games and not the primary control except in Zelda Battle Quest. The Tablet mainly uses the Analog Sticks, tilts in some games and does not seem to have the shake option which would be silly anyways. Nice to see many of the Wii U games utilizing a sideways Wii Remote in keeping the NES controller tradition. There are some point to the screen games but the front seat belongs to the traditional Analog Sticks, DPad, Triggers and Buttons on most of the new games I tried. :D

Right Click the Spec and Detail Lists for a larger view
Wii Nintendo.Net wrote: http://www.wiinintendo.net/2012/06/05/w ... ole-specs/

Wii U Console Specs

Unlike earlier reports, now Two Wii U Tablets are supported. Also very good news, wired Classic Controller support! YES! This allows older Arcade Sticks including vintage PS1 Arcade Sticks with a Mayflash adapter.

-----------------------

Edit Update

Wii U Release in two versions
As I suspected, Nintendo Land is a pack in bundle for the deluxe model which will be black. Noteworthy of the Deluxe Bundle is both the Gamepad Stand and the Charger Stand which allows a hands free mini view screen of the tablet when the regular HDTV is tied up. Interesting that a Composite cable is not included, but a standard HDMI cable. The Wii Composite cable will fit the WiiU if one has a non HDTV. Looks like Club Nintendo Points are here to stay.
Nintendo wrote: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/buynow/?om ... wpB8uEKYvn

Basic Set - $299.99

Image - White Wii U 8GB Internal Storage

Image - White Gamepad Touchscreen

Image - White Stylus

Image - Wired Sensor Bar

Wii U Console AC Adapter - WiiU GamePad AC Adapter - HDMI® Cable

---------------------------------------------------------

Deluxe Set - Price $349.99

Image - Black Wii U 32GB Internal Storage

Image - Black Gamepad Touchscreen

Image - Black Stylus

Image - Wired Sensor Bar

Image - Nintendo Land http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/a9 ... Ac5A0fly6d

Image - Wii U Gamepad Stand

Image - Wii U Gamepad Cradle (Charger)

Image - Wii U Console Stand (Vertical Mount)

Wii U Console AC Adapter - WiiU GamePad AC Adapter - HDMI® Cable

Image - Deluxe Digital Promotion - Consumers who purchase the Deluxe Set also will be enrolled in the Deluxe Digital Promotion, which lets Wii U owners receive points for each digital download and redeem those points for future downloadable content from the Nintendo eShop. The promotion is currently planned through 2014.
The Deluxe version definitely a better deal considering all the extras included. :idea:
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 64 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

ZenErik
Next-Gen

Re: Wii U / 3DSXL Tryout Nintendo Freebies (Scroll down page

Post by ZenErik »

Definitely getting the 3DS XL. Are we only getting blue/black and red/black? Originally I thought we were getting an all black model too. I would prefer all white but would definitely settle for all black over more of this two color stuff...
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

More Wii U Pictures

Nice to be one of the first in, which Wii U to try first!
Nintendo Lounge Wii U 37.jpg
Nintendo Lounge Wii U 37.jpg (139.93 KiB) Viewed 8966 times

Black Wii U, so shiny.
Nintendo Lounge Wii U Black Case.jpg
Nintendo Lounge Wii U Black Case.jpg (131.88 KiB) Viewed 8966 times

Rock Pikimin! Note the Newly designed Stand under the Wii U tablet.
Madcatz is also coming out with a charger that doubles as the tablet stand.

Nintendo Lounge Wii U Pikmin 3.jpg
Nintendo Lounge Wii U Pikmin 3.jpg (180.38 KiB) Viewed 8966 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

s1mplehumar
Next-Gen

Re: Wii U Review - 1080p and Traditional Control (Page 25)

Post by s1mplehumar »

You lucky bastard, CRT. Oh how I envy you. :twisted:

::EDIT:: And we still don't have official specs for the WiiU. :roll:
Nintendo ID, PSN, XBL: Eronnicus * Steam ID: s1mplehumar * Switch Friend Code: SW-3270-7921-5525
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

Wii U be mine!
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

s1mplehumar wrote:And we still don't have official specs for the WiiU. :roll:

When I played it at E3 I was very unimpressed by the visuals - I saw nothing even approaching the best looking games on PS3 or 360, let alone next gen hardware or current PC tech. I plan to get a Wii U becasue some of the games look fun, but as a piece of hardware it seems from my first hand experience to be just as gimpy and gimmicky (and cheap feeling) as the Wii was compared to its competition. That doesn't mean the Wii didn't have some great games, but anyone interested in specs from a Nintendo machine these days will be severely disappointed when they discover them.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

I know im not the only one and im sure people have mixed feelings, but i cant wait to see what this thing can do with the homebrew channel and how its emulation will be. Unless they go the way of the PS360 and require updates to go online, unlike the Wii where you can block updates and still go online and buy games etc...
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Project P-100 - Boss level. The characters you control are on the giant robot's shoulder.
Nintendo Lounge Wii U Project P-100.jpg
Nintendo Lounge Wii U Project P-100.jpg (121.36 KiB) Viewed 8918 times

ZombieU - The Tablet shows an overhead map, red dots are the Zombies.
Nintendo Lounge Wii U ZombieU.jpg
Nintendo Lounge Wii U ZombieU.jpg (107.28 KiB) Viewed 8918 times

3DSXL "EReader Demo" - The paper card is scanned by the 3DS 2 cameras and loads a target game.
Nintendo Lounge Wii U 3DSXL Card Reader.jpg
Nintendo Lounge Wii U 3DSXL Card Reader.jpg (119.36 KiB) Viewed 8918 times

Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

CRTGAMER wrote:3DSXL "EReader Demo" - The paper card is scanned by the 3DS 2 cameras and loads a target game.

That's actually called something like "AR Games". It comes standard with every 3DS.

--
CRT, how did it feel to use the face buttons (A,B,X,Y) on the Wii U tablet controller? I'm still under the impression that they look uncomfortable to use, what with their position being swapped with the second analog stick.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Opa Opa wrote:That's actually called something like "AR Games". It comes standard with every 3DS.

CRT, how did it feel to use the face buttons (A,B,X,Y) on the Wii U tablet controller? I'm still under the impression that they look uncomfortable to use, what with their position being swapped with the second analog stick.

Found it, Thanks! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR_Games

I like the even alignment of the Wii U Analog Sticks, control just feels more natural to me. The buttons are well thought out and very workable. I can rotate my thumbs off the Sticks to the Face Buttons or DPad without repositioning my hand. At first I had to look at the controller to get a feel of homing in on each of the buttons.

I noticed the menu Select mode of the face buttons. As in the Japanese Playstation games, the far right Face Button (A Button) is the Okay or Select Command. Curious if it will be swapped to the bottom just like U.S. Duel Shocks.