Wii Gamecube Guide - Emio The Edge as Wii Arcade Stick

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Wii Gamecube Reviews - Mayflash PS2 to Wii - Cubivore Fi

Post by CRTGAMER »

Fling Smash and a Cubivore Software Glitch

Scroll down for the Cubivore Glitch, an interesting discovery! :shock:

Thanks to s1mplehumar for pointing out this Video Game Find!
:mrgreen:

s1mplehumar wrote:WiiMotion+ @ $7.99 shipped (before tax) OOS online

Go, go, go! I wouldn't expect these to last long.

Limit 3 per account.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/FlingSmash+ ... Id=1259347
CRTGAMER wrote:Unlike Gamestop which has the same price online or locally, Best Buy does not sometimes. The Best Buy price match to their own web site will only happen if the customer points it out. Any purchases at Best Buy should always be checked online for any unknown sale or discount.

Fling Smash

The game character you control is like a baseball. This is one of the easiest game to play. All you have to do is swing the remote like a bat. To hit the the ball up swing up, to hit the ball right swing to the right. The idea is to knock down a wall of Bricks. Any gamer who has played Breakout or Arkanoid can get gratification of now a better control of instantly hitting the ball back. :lol:

Later levels add new items such as unlock a sequence of numbers to obtain a key and landing inside a cannon as in Donkey Kong Country. Overall not a bad Breakout side scroller game. A different style of game similar to first person break the bricks of Bloom Blox. :D

Remote Plus Comparison

The real reason to get Fling Smash, the included Remote Plus! 8)

I compared the Remote Plus with my older Remote that has a separate Motion Plus attachment. Without the Plus attachment, both Remotes are identical in size and I could not tell any difference in weight. The plastic has a same feel in both, though the black seems to have a slightly rougher finish on the side for maybe a better grip. Both Remotes have a smooth shiny surface on the top button side. The buttons are in the exact same spot and any accessories such as the Mayflash PSX adaper all work fine. Even the silicone sleeve for the Remoter Plus can fit a non Plus Remote if the Motion Plus attachment is not used.

Smaller silicone sleeve for the new Motion Plus Remote

The non Plus Remote with the Motion Plus attachment is heavier and can be used with a larger silicone sleeve. I don't like using the wrist cord or silicone covers. The silicone shell is optional since the Motion Plus locks in place.

Another Bundle Deal months ago, ten bucks at Wallymart.

The Motion Plus module cap string gets in the way and the silicone sleeve has to be removed to change batteries. Without the silicone sleeve, the add on Motion Plus module has corners that may pinch. The real pain is the cap plug, it always pops off and rattles like a spray paint can when the Remote is swinged around. It can be removed without cutting the cord.

CRTGAMER wrote:Removing the Plastic Cover off the Motion Plus
The Wrist Straps are easily removed by untying the slip knot. The Motion Plus Connector Cover has no knot visible. I removed the Cover without cutting the string by first disassembling the Motion Plus. Two triwing screws and then sliding out the internal PCB by squeezing the internal white tabs. Finally slipping the loop of the string off the internal peg without breaking. Now, no more paint can rattle when shaking the Remote! This way I can put the cap back, if I ever wanted to reverse the procedure.

Which is better?

As far as sensitivity I wondered if the larger add on Motion Plus might work better? Maybe the larger parts inside had better motion response? I tested both Remotes with Fling Smash and Red Steel 2 and found no difference in game play. There might be an issue of battery life though I suspect this will be minuet. The older Remote can have the Motion Plus disconnected for non plus games, one less part that has to be monitored. However the Motion Plus attachment is larger then a built in, might drain the batteries a little quicker?

For a heavier more robust feel in a remote go with the older Remote with the Motion Plus attachment. Be sure to get rid of the cap cord so it will not rattle. The corners of the add on Motion Plus module can pinch, I prefer the newer built in Motion Plus Remote.

Now where did I see that iconic smile in the Remote Plus base?
Its also on the Gamecube Component cable plug! :!:

Wii Remote Plus - Nunchuck - Mayflash.jpg
Wii Remote Plus - Nunchuck - Mayflash.jpg (175.99 KiB) Viewed 14794 times

Cubivore - An interesting game glitch found!

:shock: :shock: :shock: A bizarre game takes a strange turn :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cubivore full review here: viewtopic.php?f=2&p=529160#p529160

CRTGAMER wrote:The graphics are plain, but adds to the charm. There really is not much going on, I get a sense of an unpolished beta release game. Maybe because of the almost N64 era graphics?

I'm just finished on the Whitestill Highlands level and discovered a strange bug in the game. You know how a Boss is supposed to usually be just a one on one match? When I started attacking the boss called Parental Advisory Beast, it started duplicating itself by leaving behind images of where it was. The crazy part is the images came to life and were also moving! Then after I killed one of them, a prompt appeared that the boss was defeated and the next doorway opened. Meanwhile all the duplicates had independent movement, most were homed in to attack me, others wandered around. :shock:

When I took the pic, my character was almost killed; it has the stars floating in the screenshot. The duplicate bosses are the large "Chairs" hopping around. After the photo shoot I managed to recover and kill all the remaining bosses. As far as I can tell my score did not increase or gain any additional attributes to my character. More proof of processing power in the Gamecube as in all the independent Pikmin and Paper Marios, no slow down at all. No lockup and the game is back to normal. An interesting glitch, looking forward to other discoveries. :mrgreen:

Count the green in the radar, Enough chairs for a small Wedding reception. :lol:
Attachments
Cubivore Parental Advisory Beast Boss Game Glitch.jpg
Cubivore Parental Advisory Beast Boss Game Glitch.jpg (219.87 KiB) Viewed 14796 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Wii Gamecube Reviews - Mayflash PS2 to Wii - Cubivore Fi

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I've been digging through this thread since I got my Wii, and I have learned quite a lot. Still have a few pages to dig through too.

Thanks a bunch CRTgamer, I love your super-informative posts.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Wii Gamecube Thread - Mayflash PS2 to Wii - Metroid M Review

Post by CRTGAMER »

Metroid Other M

Thanks to dsheinem's Post Yesterday, a great price at only $4.99! Sorry the sale is over.

Back to Roots
I have always put off buying this game because of the 3rd person view. Turns out it is not 3rd person, more of an old school platformer following inspiration to the original NES style of game play.

!up wrote:http://www.1up.com/features/samus-ninja-training-metroid-interview

Yoshio Sakamoto Interview

1UP: Something I find interesting is that the control system works entirely with the Wii remote. One might assume it's more natural to use the nunchuk, but Other M uses only the D-pad for moving. Can you speak to why you've chosen this style?

Sakamoto: As you know, I started creating games in the NES era. Back then, probably the most natural control scheme was the D-pad plus two buttons. This is really important to me -- it's something that goes back to my understanding of gaming's roots. It might even be definitive in how it relates to Samus as a main character. For me, controlling Samus has always been most comfortable with a D-pad. I think a lot of people who played the earlier games have drifted away as control schemes have grown more complex, and I think that if they see this control style they'll be able to come back and enjoy playing Metroid the way that they've always loved. So, it was essential to me to think about how to create a 3D Metroid game that maintained this kind of simple and accessible control scheme. As I've said before, to me, Samus equals the D-pad and two buttons -- in some ways it's essential to the Metroid experience.

The Remote is a NES Pad! :shock: :mrgreen:
Who would have thought? Turn the Wii Remote sideways and the DPad and 1 and 2 buttons are similar to the good old NES game pad. Not perfect but close, an ingenious design built in.

NES Gamepad - Wii Remote - Motion Plus.jpg
NES Gamepad - Wii Remote - Motion Plus.jpg (177.36 KiB) Viewed 14752 times

Game Radar wrote: http://www.gamesradar.com/metroid-other ... explained/

Metroid: Other M's quirky controls explained

1) Most of the time, you hold the remote sideways, like an old-school NES controller. Pointing the remote at the screen puts Samus into visor mode. The B trigger pans the camera unless locking on with A, in which case it fires a missile. The D-pad cycles through weapons while aiming.

2) The D-pad normally is for movement. More importantly, it can activate Samus’ sense move – a jetpack-assisted timed dodge. Just double-tap when you see an incoming attack.

3) The A button rolls Samus into a morph ball, and charges missiles when the remote is angled upright. The same motion can recharge a sliver of health if Samus is in the red.

4) Running to, or jumping on, a tired enemy sparks a takedown move. Samus hurls bugs, knees spines and feeds her arm cannon into ears. The D-pad is a versatile tool in her arsenal.

5) The 1 button is all about the weapons: charge beams and morph ball power bombs. Holding it down charges both (the top-left bar on screen reveals the power).

6) Other M sees Samus in athletic form. Bounding with the 2 button, she’s surrounded by a shimmering force effect. Jumping is very advanced in the future.
What do you think? Do these old-fashioned sideways-remote controls sound refreshing, or unnecessarily awkward? We won’t know for sure until we review the game, but it’s going to be strange getting used to a D-pad as primary movement again.

NES Game Play
So does Metroid M really play like the original on the NES? Not exactly, due to a 2.5d sometimes 3D environment. However the levels are done very well for tons of running, shooting and platform jumping. Nintendo took the fast action of the original and placed it into this Wii game. The external view has an advantage over an FPS, you can see all the enemies around you at once on the screen. Shoot, turn around, Shoot, Jump, Shoot. No having to spin an internal FPS view around. With the external view, you know where every enemy is lurking on the screen. :D

Instant Switch View
Point the Remote at the screen to instantly switch to FPS mode. Spin the Remote back around to use as a NES Gamepad. The screen goes back to traditional platformer view instantly. No button needed to switch views, just spin the Remote. :shock:

FPS View
One area I was disappointed is the FPS View. It means just that, no walking, no running or jumping, no changing position at all. You can only spin around to search objects and shoot enemies. Sometimes you have to be in FPS mode to lock a missile on an enemy. No dodging an enemy while in the look at me as a sitting duck mode.

Morph Ball
As in previous Metroids you can change into a Morph Ball. This is handy for getting thru tunnels and tracks. A good way to destroy all the enemies in an area is to turn into a Morph Ball and set off a Power Bomb. Note that when you point the Remote to the screen for FPS view, Samus changes back to human form.

Video Story
There is a lot of video on the disc and unfortunately not skippable. You get to see the story behind Samusu Aran and finally actually get to hear her speak as well as see what she looks like. Even if you don't like the game, the disc is a nice addition for any Metroid fan just for the video that tells the background story. 8)
Conclusion
A great game for any old school side view 2d style gamer. A fast paced platformer with plenty of jumping and shooting, inspired by the original with new features added. I do wish the Nintendo Remote is bigger to work as a Gamepad. The buttons on the Remote are smaller then the NES pad. Perhaps a 3rd party larger Remote?

The real disappointment is no Classic Control support. Yoshio Sakamoto was adamant that this game be played NES style with the Remote. Kills any possibility of using alternate controllers without modding a Remote. This would have been a perfect game to try with the Mayflash Adapter and a PSX Arcade stick. :?
Attachments
Metroid Other M.jpg
Metroid Other M.jpg (240.25 KiB) Viewed 14752 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Wii Gamecube Thread - Mayflash PS2 to Wii - PAL Doshin Giant

Post by CRTGAMER »

PAL Gamecube Doshin The Giant
How to run a PAL Gamecube game on a NTSC system without a Mod

I teased about this game in my Cubivore Review, another N64DD game converted to the Gamecube.
CRTGAMER wrote:Gamecube Doshin the Giant - Released in Japan and Europe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doshin_the_Giant

Strange that the U.S. got Cubivore and Europe got Doshin. Who knows how marketeers do their research? Both games are mentioned as trophies in Super Smash Brothers Melee.

Image Image Image

Discarded Couch Sandwich wrote: http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Discar ... 8431.phtml

Depending where you live: Doshin the Giant and Cubivore

Here’s a mystery which all revolved around a deal with Atlus I don’t understand, so won't attempt to reprint here. Two very quirky games for Gamecube that share many traits in common: they both originate from Japan, they’re both definitely for a niche audience, they both had trophies in Super Smash Bros. Melee which is why most people know about them. Also, depending on which territory you lived in dictated what game you got.

Yes, us Brits got Doshin the Giant, while Cubivore remained exclusive to America. Why, I do not know. But the one thing that rings true is that either game may as well not exist in the country it wasn’t released in. I didn’t even know Cubivore got an English translation until I randomly came across it about a year ago. No one talks about it. Its nonexistent.

Game Play
Think of Doshin The Giant as a God simulation game. You control a giant creature called Doshin who helps the villagers to prosper. In return, the villagers build monuments and worship Doshin who then grows and becomes stronger from the praise. At first Doshin moves very slowly, almost frustratingly so to slog thru to reach each village. Bear with this and keep at it, he grows and moves more easily across the landscape.

Controls
Analog Stick - Walk around
Z - Map
B - Jump
A - Lift an object
Y - Lower the ground
X - Raise the ground
CStick - Change view
DPad Up Down - View zoom
R - Take a photo and save to memory
L - Transform into Jashin the Mean God

Good Giant or Bad Giant
Note the Skull and Heart symbols surround the game screen. The Hearts represents how many good deeds performed. A Skull means something evil was done such as stepping on a villager. For some reason people don't take kindly to a God who squashes them. :lol:

Once Doshin acquires a full circle of hearts he grows bigger. This allows for walking faster and exploring the taller mountains. This becomes useful too in taking shortcuts to reach other villages in need of a God hand.

Help the islanders
The islanders will let you know what they desire with little picket signs. They might need a tree, clear an area or level the terrain. Doshin can uproot a tree, pick up buildings or people and place objects in another location. He can also raise or lower the terrain with a levitation affect of waving his arms. Jumping and landing with Giant Godly weight also crushes the ground.

If you want to go nuts and become evil, press the Left trigger. Turn into Jashin the Mean Giant and destroy everything in site. This is probably not a good idea though. A Godly Giant will only survive if the villagers are alive to worship him.

There will be destruction of Tornadoes and Volcanoes on later levels to keep a bored giant busy.

dogman91 wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:I'm not sure if Action Replay Freeloader which does convert PAL to NTSC would work well on Doshin from Europe. Ah well, the OCD collector in me wants this game! I'll post a review how this PAL game turns out. I wonder if the Japanese version is English language friendly? :?:
I've always been curious about Doshin the Giant ever since I saw the trophy for it in Super Smash Bros. Melee. I wonder if forcing 60hz on it will allow it to play and be in color as well. Good luck!

I quite enjoyed this cynical review of the game, by the way.

Image Doshin the Giant

This is no Black and White
Similar to another God type of simulation game of the same name on the PC. You will get muted colors if you try to run this PAL game without a proper conversion. The easiest way is with Datel Free Loader. However not just any new Free Loader, you'll have to track down the old Code Entry Capable Action Replay. It is the one on the left with the AR memory card. If you ever see a Gamecube Action Replay with an AR logo on the disc, grab it, a true rarity find! The memory file to enable the disc can be downloaded to your Memory card. A transfer of the downloaded file with a SD card is needed, see the Gecko SD Guide linked in the quote below. 8)

Action Replay Gamecube Code Entry.jpg
Action Replay Gamecube Code Entry.jpg (224.7 KiB) Viewed 14711 times

CRTGAMER wrote:AR logo on the disc

The older Action Replay allows for Cheat Code entry. It requires the AR memory card plugged in port 2. The memory card is not as reliable as Nintendo Memory cards and has been know to fail. I backed up the AR file onto every one of my memory cards so I can boot up the older action Replay disc without fear of a corrupt memory card.

The newer Action Replay does not allow for Code Entry, but every game is already on the disc. The newer Action Replay also includes a hidden SD Media Launcher. I have a separate Thread that gives better details on the Action Replay and SD Gecko.

GAMECUBE Gecko SD Card Guide viewtopic.php?f=52&p=322332#p322332

The newer Code Entry Locked Action Replay includes Freeloader and can boot Doshin Giant, however the PAL screen plays havoc on CRTs with a rolling image and fuzzy black and white on a LCD. Even the Gamecube Component cable makes no difference on HDTV or on a computer monitor with a VGA adapter, a distorted screen. The older Action Replay works its magic of booting up a properly PAL converted screen perfect in NTSC. :mrgreen:

Jay Spree wrote:http://thesmartmarks.com/printer_739.shtml

Datel’s latest Universal Adapter technology is called FreeLoader, and quite simply it allows PAL GameCubes to play NTSC games and NTSC GameCubes to play PAL games. The FreeLoader software is available separately, but it’s included with the Action Replay, so you can instantly unlock games that will never see a US release such as Doshin The Giant.

It’s because PAL games run at 50hz instead of 60hz, and NTSC Cubes only process 50hz games in black and white. It’s worth noting, though, that Doshin The Giant (a Japan and PAL-only game that is likely the only PAL game you'll import) was designed to run in 60hz, so don’t worry about picking up that one.

Only the older Code Entry Action Replay and the Older Freeloader will properly convert PAL 50Hz Gamecube games to NTSC 60Hz.

Note that PAL and U.S game saves can be on the same Memory card. However Japanese game saves might format your U.S. memory card. The newer Freeloader gets around this by placing a modified Japanese game save. Just to play it safe keep each region on a separate memory card. Doshin takes up 40 blocks on the memory card, any saved photos from the game takes even more space at 4 blocks each. A dedicated memory card is needed anyways to handle all the memory space robbing files. :idea:

Jay Spree wrote:Something else worth bearing in mind is that PAL and American games can be saved on the same memory card, but Japanese games will require their own card. If you’ve got your US/PAL card in the slot and you’re playing a Japanese game that prompts you to save, DON’T DO IT, as it will format your memory card. Draw a flag or something on your cards and make sure to keep the right one in when you’re playing.

A PAL game working on NTSC, isolated PAL Memory card and the world is a happy place. 8)

Jason Julie wrote:http://gamestyle.com/reviews/85/doshin-the-giant/

Doshin The Giant is an important release for European Gamecube owners, who have constantly cried wolf over their treatment by Nintendo. Over the years we have missed out on several fabulous and original titles, but not this time. Make no mistake Doshin The Giant is a highly unusual and distinctive title, perhaps considered by many to be too Japanese for European consumption, but games can bridge cultural divides. If the game performs well then it will encourage other titles to be released and put Europe onto a more equal footing with America and Japan. A retail failure and lack of interest will once again return us to the status quo, where we can all drown our sorrows in the last chance saloon.

Everything thing about this game is different including its origins, which began on the ill-fated Nintendo 64 add on (64DD) and now grace the Gamecube, by way of a complete overhaul. The only note of caution I would offer is the need for a new 251-block memory card. With a single save taking 40 blocks and the photograph option (optional) costing 4 blocks per snap you will need more space. For those looking for something different, inventive, rewarding and a break from the norm, Doshin The Giant comes highly recommended.

My PAL Doshin The Giant included the manual and all the flyers. Note the RGB Gamecube cable. :shock:
Attachments
Gamecube PAL Flyer.jpg
Gamecube PAL Flyer.jpg (250.66 KiB) Viewed 14711 times
Doshin The Giant PAL.jpg
Doshin The Giant PAL.jpg (230.08 KiB) Viewed 14711 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

vlame
Next-Gen

Re: Wii Gamecube Thread - Mayflash PS2 to Wii - Metroid M Re

Post by vlame »

CRTGAMER wrote:The Remote is a NES Pad! :shock: :mrgreen:
Who would have thought? Turn the Wii Remote sideways and the DPad and 1 and 2 buttons are similar to the good old NES game pad. Not perfect but close, an ingenious design built in.

where were you at when the nes VC was announced? that was a big point of the vc compatibility.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Wii Gamecube Thread - Mayflash PS2 to Wii - Game Case Fix

Post by CRTGAMER »

Gamecube Case Damages Game Discs
Ever notice how the Gamecube case disc holder really grabs the disc? Even applying pressure to the center, the game disc will bend upon removal and have a loud snap when replaced in the holder. This will eventually crack the disc.

PAL Gamecube Case
Different from the U.S. Gamecube case. The fingers that hold the disc push in, similiar in design to memory card holder PS2 cases. A good practice to also press down when replacing the disc back in the holder.

A very simple fix
I really don't plan on storing my games in a paint can shaker so there is no need for the holder to be so tight. Remove the game disc and pinch a little all the way around with a pair of pliers. You can even "file" down the plastic fingers with the pliers steel jaws. Test the game disc when you are done, now they should pop in and out with a very soft click. 8)

Storing Games
Make sure your cases are set upright when storing and not stacked flat. If you really have to stack them, don't go too high and keep them centered for better support. Too much weight on the case cover will indent the middle which in turn crushes the prongs against the manual inside.

You can also do an easy fix if there is a clearance problem such as a very thick game manual. This might help in Animal Crossing that has a lot of extra inserts. Remove the manuals and disc. Bend each prong that holds the manual slightly out with your finger. Just a little so the plastic will not break. A limitation since the prong tip touches the bottom side that has the disc holder when the case is closed. You could also put the Safety Insert Instructions on top to protect the Game Manual.
Attachments
Gamecube Case Plier Fix.jpg
Gamecube Case Plier Fix.jpg (171.8 KiB) Viewed 14691 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pakopako
Next-Gen

Re: Wii Gamecube Thread - Mayflash PS2 to Wii - Game Case Fi

Post by pakopako »

CRTGAMER wrote:Gamecube Case Damages Game Discs
Ever notice how the Gamecube case disc holder really grabs the disc? Even applying pressure to the center, the game disc will bend upon removal and have a loud snap when replaced in the holder. This will eventually crack the disc...I really don't plan on storing my games in a paint can shaker so there is no need for the holder to be so tight. Remove the game disc and pinch a little all the way around with a pair of pliers. You can even "file" down the plastic fingers with the pliers steel jaws. Test the game disc when you are done, now they should pop in and out with a very soft click. 8)

Thank you

Geez. So few people these days believe me when I say those things are a pain. The single disc NTSC-U holders are manageable -- they require an incredible amount of force at the center (such as two thumbs or your palm or your fist before the disc will pop-out on its own without needing to pry it) -- but the double-disc cases (such as Metal Gear Solid or Killer 7) have almost ZERO give because the spindles are not centered (due to having two spindles on a single side) and cannot be depressed as deeply and forcing you to pry the disc off because the teeth are still clenched.

My personal solution is to ditch the case for a simple two-sided DVD case, but alternatively there is filing the teeth, removing half the teeth, and of course taking pliers (or cutters) to remove the circular/hexagon spindle that's preventing the teeth from moving.,
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I'm appreciating my PAL cases now :lol:

I'm also amazed you didnt notice the Wii Remote is designed like a NES controller. Hell, half the good games released on wii in the past few years use it as it's main control scheme :lol:
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

pakopako wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Gamecube Case Damages Game Discs

Ever notice how the Gamecube case disc holder really grabs the disc? Even applying pressure to the center, the game disc will bend upon removal and have a loud snap when replaced in the holder. This will eventually crack the disc...I really don't plan on storing my games in a paint can shaker so there is no need for the holder to be so tight. Remove the game disc and pinch a little all the way around with a pair of pliers. You can even "file" down the plastic fingers with the pliers steel jaws. Test the game disc when you are done, now they should pop in and out with a very soft click. 8)
Thankyou

Geez. So few people these days believe me when I say those things are a pain. The single disc NTSC-U holders are manageable -- they require an incredible amount of force at the center (such as two thumbs or your palm or your fist before the disc will pop-out on its own without needing to pry it) -- but the double-disc cases (such as Metal Gear Solid or Killer 7) have almost ZERO give because the spindles are not centered (due to having two spindles on a single side) and cannot be depressed as deeply and forcing you to pry the disc off because the teeth are still clenched.

My personal solution is to ditch the case for a simple two-sided DVD case, but alternatively there is filing the teeth, removing half the teeth, and of course taking pliers (or cutters) to remove the circular/hexagon spindle that's preventing the teeth from moving.,

Thanks, there are other consoles that also use this same design, I think it was XBox? I prefer to keep the Gamecube case, for the memory card holder and the game stays original. The "Fix" with the pliers is very easy to do and just squeezes in the center fingers a little. Rubbing down the teeth with the pliers jaws squeezed lightly and twisted back and forth a little helps too. Even my double disc Gamecube cases with this repair work fine. The center holder is still intact, but now it no longer has the death grip on the discs. :D

vlame wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:The Remote is a NES Pad!
where were you at when the nes VC was announced? that was a big point of the vc compatibility.
alienjesus wrote:I'm appreciating my PAL cases now :lol:

I'm also amazed you didnt notice the Wii Remote is designed like a NES controller. Hell, half the good games released on wii in the past few years use it as it's main control scheme :lol:

I did not get the NES notice I guess. :oops:

In honesty, I never pursued the Virtual Console, already own some of the older consoles as well as emulated on the Dreamcast, PS2 and on SD card for the Gamecube. I am putting together pics and a Guide for Emulation and backing up Game Saves on a SD Card for the Gamecube and Wii.

The Gecko Guide is updated: viewtopic.php?f=52&p=322332#p322332 :D

I have played around with the NES layout on a couple of other Wii games. Metroid Other M is the game that really plays on the roots of the NES, the reason why I emphasized it in the review.

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Wii Gamecube Thread - Common and Obscure Discoveries

Post by CRTGAMER »

The OP is Updated with Links to each Article. :mrgreen:

SHMUPS
http://www.shmups.com/

A review of various Shoot Em Ups. The TurboGrafx 16 and lately the Dreamcast has a large selection of SHMUPs. Though not as many, the Gamecube and Wii has some as well. A really big plus is with an adaptor, all the games work with a PSX Blaze Arcade stick! A Playstation Arcade stick has an advantage over a dedicated Wii or Gamecube Arcade stick.

1. Easily adapted to different consoles.
2. The sticks emulate BOTH the DPAD and ANALOG stick.

I am rediscovering Analog Stick controlled games that normally do not take an Arcade stick. The same games on the Gamecube and Wii work with the Arcade stick and the right adaptor.

Chaos Field

Chaos Field is just one boss after another of Bullet Hell will you die already you bastard! At least there are unlimited continues, even more lucky if an Action Replay boots the game to survive the endless madness. The only break you get is switching to 'Other World" easy mode, the enemy eases up but so does your ship guns. An uncommon find, released also as part of a trilogy on the Wii.

Ikaruga

If there is one SHMUP you have to get for the Gamecube or Wii make it this one. Originally on the Dreamcast as a highly sought after Import. A novel approach to surviving a range of bullets, change into the same color and collect as energy! There are black and white bullets, just switch your ship color on the fly depending on which barrage of fire is coming at you. This gets tricky when the enemy can shoot both colors, adds to interesting strategy in a SHMUP.

http://lakupo.com/review_ikaruga.html

Treasure, famous among action game fans for games like Gunstar Heroes and Radiant Silvergun, has made a shooter that throws out the one ship armory idea, and replaces it with a simple yet strategic gameplay mechanic that turns the tired shooter gameplay on its side.

Every enemy ship in the game comes in two polarities: light and dark. The Ikaruga can switch between light and dark polarities at will. Firing white bullets at a white enemy does normal damage; shooting white bullets at a black enemy does double damage, and the same is true for the reverse.

Changing polarity is not only offensive, but defensive as well: the Ikaruga can absorb bullets of the same polarity, and store the energy to be released as a powerful homing laser attack later.

You can set the game screen to aspect correct Arcade Vertical with big borders or zoomed in to fill in the screen or also flip the image sideways TATE style. No, I will not rotate my 200 pound HD CRT on its side. :lol:

Space Raiders

An inspired or maybe uninspiring remake of Space Invaders sponsored by Taito. The basic concept is here, ducking behind barrels as shields. As in the original, a never ending barrage of Aliens in updated graphics. To keep faith of the original your human character can only side step, shoot, hide behind a barrel, shoot, hide behind a barrel, over and over. Play as the female character, she has rapid fire and moves sideways faster then the other two characters. There are power ups to grab including Speedup, Rapidfire, Invincible and Life Up.

No DPad support but the PSX Blaze Arcade stick works with an adaptor! :D

This game is the Retro Game argument mark of a newer game with good graphics and bad game play. In reality the game is not too bad, the sideways only movement had to be incorporated to mimic game play of the original Space Invaders. I'll still take the original pixels any day over this new version. Ah well, another uncommon exclusive to U.S consoles, a novelty to own. The PS2 version went to Japan and Europe, Gamecube went to Japan and U.S.

Space Raiders.jpg
Space Raiders.jpg (181.72 KiB) Viewed 14596 times

Blast Works: Build, Trade & Destroy

A "Flash Animation" style game based on the PC Freeware game TUMIKI Fighters

Destroy
Fly around and shoot everything. Ever play Katamari? The same stickyball affect is here, every enemy ship and gun you hit can be caught in mid air to add to your arsenal. A simple press of a button hides the collected items to fly around a barrage of bullets; then pop them out to return fire. Depending on how an add on ship or gun gets pasted it shoots in a different angle.

Build
Custom build your own levels with a selection of ships and objects. The background be changed to different settings. There is also a black and white that looks like a drawing or a red and black setting that is a reminiscent of Virtual Boy. The interface takes a bit to figure out, put the work in and you can come up with a unique custom shooter. :mrgreen:

Trade
Here is where the real fun is. Unlimited readily made levels and ships. Well, there is one limit, the size to the save file limit. Downloading a user made level is simple. Use your PC to explore the website, review and add items to your que. Then install the levels right in the Blast Works game. My only disappointment is not being able to do a direct transfer to a SD memory card. This limits uploads and downloads directly to and from the Blast Works Depot site.

Downloads include a Space Invaders clone, Spy Hunter based on the Arcade, Black and White Mario Bros themed level and a very good side scroller version of Geometry Wars. Any level you download can add to your arsenal of build tools. Copy a level and customize it to your preference. 8)

http://blastworksdepot.com/games/blastworks/

Go to the "Online" menu in Blast Works and select "Blast Works Depot" to download the items in your queue.

Image Introduction Video
Attachments
Blast Works.jpg
Blast Works.jpg (251.55 KiB) Viewed 14596 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.