Wii Gamecube Guide - Emio The Edge as Wii Arcade Stick

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: CRTGAMER Wii Thread

Post by CRTGAMER »

Opa Opa wrote:That was one of my first wii games. It's all right for one of the earliest titles on the system.
Took me four Gamestops to find a complete one with the original manual. Then the disc had swirl scratches, how was that possible! Swapped the disc at another Gamestop, most had scratches, a good sign of a heavy played game. :D
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Nintendo Channel

I updated my Wii to the latest updates to get SDHC support and keep up with all the different Nintendo Channels. I picked up a ScanDisk 8gb SD memory card for the freebie downloads and backing up my saves. The way I understand it, only the online gameplay saves are locked to one console. This hopefully gives me an option of downloading complete game saves. The games that are frustrating to beat for all the unlocks.

The How
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/41717/ho ... ame-saves/

The What
http://www.wiisave.com/gamecodes/
Wii Transfer PC.jpg
Wii Transfer PC.jpg (20.77 KiB) Viewed 4729 times

The internal Wii memory is only 512mb, but I will probably regret not getting a larger sized memory. The Wii with the latest updates can handle a 32gb SD Card. I'm discovering the preview trailers, enticing me which games to buy. Never noticed the preview video option until I popped in the additional memory. Great to see the videos all categorized up front right on the Wii. This beats slugging thru all the online review sites. I can judge the game myself by direct watching a sample gameplay video right on the HD. :D

After playing Elebits, I am curious how a full fledged FPS will play with the Motion Control. Might as well look for the best. So far Conduit 2 looks to be the one. An exclusive for the Wii as well. Both the Conduit games have a special edition release, same used SKU at Gamestop. Anyone play these games?

Found a nice surprise when I searched online for that memory card. Local purchase! 8)

OFFICE DEPOT HAS A SALE ON SCANDISK MEMORY CARDS
8GB - $12.99 ......... 16GB - $24.99
THE SALE ENDS JUNE 4 2011

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

I have yet to play Conduit 2 but can vouch for the first Conduit. It is a great FPS on Wii with a ridiculous amount of customization of the controls.
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

CRTGAMER wrote:Found a nice surprise when I searched online for that memory card. Local purchase! 8)

That's a class 2 card so it's slower. I usually buy my cards from newegg.com and will get class 6 or higher.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

gtmtnbiker wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Found a nice surprise when I searched online for that memory card. Local purchase! 8)

That's a class 2 card so it's slower. I usually buy my cards from newegg.com and will get class 6 or higher.
Price makes it good enough for me, only a few more seconds for a data read. :mrgreen:

EDIT
Turns out it is a class four, here is the right one from Google Images. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Conduit 1 is all right. It really showcases what the system can do.

I probably won't get number 2 though...
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Motion Plus and Red Steel 2

With the powerful Wii Remote features I discovered in Elebits, it is hard to believe that the motion detection could be improved upon. Spotted a game with the Motion Plus included. For my first Wii FPS game, I think this is a very good one! Intrigued ever since I watched this game's First Level Walkthru Video Demo on the Nintendo Channel, a phenomenal ride!

Red Steel 2 Bundled with Motion Plus - $10.00 Walmart Clearanced :shock:
Ten bucks for the game and the Motion Plus attachment bundle, perfect for older Wii Remotes! Even better since I needed two of them.

Plug In
An easy attachment to the Wii Remote, has a passthru port for the Nunchuck controller. The added size prevents use for most outer shell plastic housings though. No big deal, I would rather use "Lightgun" triggers directly without being hampered by an outer fake trigger anyways. Optional outer silicone sleeve is included.

Twist and Shout
Additional Row, Pitch and Yaw detection. An accurate Motion Sensor now even more sensitive. All new Wii Remotes have this built in, curious which one works better. Perhaps the built in ones are smaller in the tight space? The add on unit might have bigger Accelerometers and Gyros and work better?

The silicone sleeve gives a more robust feel like a hilt of a sword. I like this older Remote with the bottom attached Motion Plus. It makes for a larger controller for my big paws. I also prefer using the remote without the silicone sleeve, the smoother plastic just seems better.

Red Steel 2
The best way I can give an analogy of Red Steel 2 is mix Kill Bill, and a Samurai themed Spaghetti Western. Ry Cooder music mixed in. Great animation in a Graphic Novel style. UBISoft did a complete workaround compared to the first "Yakuza" themed game. While swinging the sword around, I can instantly switch to guns by simply firing the Trigger.

I can see the Motion Plus being utilized with all the great sword play. This beats all the shaking, a graceful swing of the sword. When cracking open a Safe a unique function, with the roll, pitch and yaw detection. Holding the remote next to the ear, slowly spin until a tumbler click is hear. I already have read about using the Remote as a phone in games, amazing how the little tinny Remote Speaker adds a new gameplay feature.

Oh man, I think this is a near perfect Motion Control FPS game. I kicked up the sensitivity so I don't have to swing the remote behind me like a real sword. But it is nice having that capability if I really want to get into "Highlander" moves. There are also adjustments for quickening the turn speed. This is an easy FPS holdover until I get around to getting Conduit 2. :mrgreen:

Silicone shell is optional, the Motion Plus locks in place.
Red Steel 2 Bundle Motion Plus.jpg
Red Steel 2 Bundle Motion Plus.jpg (255.07 KiB) Viewed 5065 times

There are extra weapons on the disc that can only be unlocked thru a Preorder code. Bah! The codes are easily found online since there is no longer a Preorder option. ALL THE PREORDER UNLOCKS ARE RIGHT IN THE DISC! Now which new weapon to try first? :D
Attachments
Red Steel Preorder Bonus.jpg
Red Steel Preorder Bonus.jpg (214.07 KiB) Viewed 4698 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Dude you need to use an image hosting site.

imgur, photobucket, something...
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Geon Cube

Picked up an obscure Wii game. The few reviews I did find on it, described the game similar to Pacman. I discovered the gameplay seems to be inspired from an old Arcade and 2600 game, the racing dot eater game Dodge Em. A race to get the dots before the opponent gets you, but now not locked to a flat 2d field. I was skeptical of playing this pellet gobbler with the Motion Control, thankfully the Nunchuck Stick is used for better accuracy.

Erik Brudvig wrote:http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/09/04/from-cuball-to-geon-and-beyond

From Cuball to Geon and Beyond

Geon didn't actually start out as Geon. The original name for the game was in fact "Cuball" (Cube All) and it was originally designed as a Sony PSP game. Cuball will be a game show, hosted by a wacky Japanese character named Kenzo Chan, in which contestants use Virtual Reality to control microscopic cubes on a sub atomic grid. Kenzo Chan was dropped and the concept of emotions (each with their own strong visual style) was born. It was also decided that the name has to change as people keep thinking that Cuball is a Pool game... Cuball is dead and "Ora" is born. Despite not having enough money to hire all the staff needed they have created a 50% completed version of Ora on PSP and a 60% completed PC version that has networked multi-player.

There is just one little catch. Eidos don't want a PSP game, they want it for this new fangled Xbox 360 Live Arcade thing that everyone is talking about. That means a lot of work on the PSP version is wasted but that's OK, full development starts here. During that time we have also signed up PC and PSN versions with Eidos and sold the Wii version of Geon to Pinnacle. Geon XBLA took a total of two and a half years from initial concept to shipped game, but much of that time was taken up with business, rather than development.

Original concept on the left with the final screenshot on the right

Collect pellets like Pacman in a two sided maze. Once your pellet bar is full, race to the other side center goal. There is an enemy doing the same thing, a race who gets to the goal first. The later levels have multiple floors and twisting tracks, a real trick when switching sides to reach the goal.

You can also launch attacks after hitting a powerup cube pellet, depending what type of "Emotion" Cube you selected at the start of the level. There are eight different Emotion Powerup Cubes to select from:

RAGE - Lay spikes
GREED - Suck up pellets faster
FRUSTRATION - Create traps
BLISS - Extra helpers to collect pellets
PASSION - Slide across faster
SHOCK - Create "Tron Light Cycle" walls
HYPER - Roll across faster
FEAR - Cloak yourself and enemy pellets

There is also a Time attack option with no enemy. This allows more flexibility in practicing the various mazes and power ups. The Wii version is the only version available on disc and with an exclusive four player option. :mrgreen:

Geon Cube plays well with the Nunchuck, but I really would like to give it a go with a NES Pad or even an Arcade stick. The tight turns in the game would really be perfect when matched with the right controller. A very tempting easy to do mod, but would mean disabling a working Nunchuck. If other games might gain from the digital control conversion, I might just tackle this. :idea:

An odd bit of trivia. the cube is identical to the outdoor cube power up in Elebits. Maybe a hidden coder's signature? Only five bucks at Gamestop, this game is a rarity. 8)

Attachments
Geon Cube.jpg
Geon Cube.jpg (250.52 KiB) Viewed 4779 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

CRTGAMER wrote:The real jewel is the motion control. It is very accurate, even better then the Dreamcast Lightgun on a regular CRT. Very easy to aim at blowing off the arms, legs and kill shot of the head. I was tempted to pick up an outer gun shell to give the Wii Remote a better feel. Not sold on the idea of an outer plastic trigger operating the Remote trigger. A slight delay in the shot and wear of the plastic buttons. If I was to get one, it would be a duel trigger to operate both the B Trigger and A button.
I recommend the PDP Wii Duo Shot. You can get them at Gamestop for $14.99
http://www.gamestop.com/wii/accessories ... t-gs/78291

I also did a little write up about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27489&hilit=wii+duo+shot
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)