Wii Gamecube Guide - Emio The Edge as Wii Arcade Stick

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Wii and Gamecube - Reviews - Mayflash Ps2 to Wii Controller

Post by CRTGAMER »

Boom Blox

First off let me state I'm not a very big fan of wave the arm style of motion controls. I do like the Instant Aim aspect of the Remote for FPS and Lightgun games, but have reservations of flapping my arm to move something on the screen. That said, here is a game that really works well with Motion Control.

CRTGAMER wrote:I hate Motion Controls in games, however I always like new ways to play a game. The reason why I converted a Twinstick for GEOMETRY WARS or use a Trakball or Mouse for REZ. For all the gamers that refuse to try motion controls, BOOM BLOX could be the game that will change your mind.

Controls
Nunchuck Stick - Rotate camera
Nunchuck C and Z - Camera zoom
Remote 1 and 2 - Raise and lower camera
Remote B button - Hold while moving Remote to move camera
Remote A button - Hold to aim then throw with a swing of the Remote

Choose your Weapon
Each Toy has a different charactersitic in bringing down a tower of blocks.
1. Baseball - Basic destruction
2. Sticky Hand - For grabbing a block
3. Cursor - Creation Tool
4. Garden Hose Nozzle - Flush out the blocks
5. Bowling Ball - A heavier toss or roll the ball
6. Ray Gun - Zap the blocks
7. Bomb - Toss bombs like Bomberman
8. Red Ball - Rubber ball for bounce shots
There are more toys that unlock as you complete different game levels.

Basic Destruction
Who would have though such a simple concept of a childhood game can be made into a fun game. Knock a tower of blocks without having to waste time restacking them. The idea is knock down the blocks in a minimum number of throws with your baseball or other throwing toy. Careful, there might be characters on the screen that throw stuff back at you. Sometimes there is a bomb block that when hit, blows up the surrounding blocks. There are levels that require two blocks falling on each other to produce a chemical reaction explosion. Some block towers require only certain blocks knocked down. Wait till you see the EA Wall to vent your frustration! :lol:

A well placed shot can knock down multiple stacks like dominoes.

Angle Bounce Shots
The rubber bounce ball is used here. Knock down the blocks in an enclosed multi level shelf unit. This is where setting the camera view angle really helps in setting up the shot. Almost a Pool Table affect in getting the bank shots.

Shooting the Targets
Shoot targets with the Ray Gun. This is where the Wii really exemplifies the Motion Control, the instant aim to shoot at the blocks flying by in rapid succession. An Analog stick or even a mouse could not keep up.

Jenga Level
Yes there are Jenga levels! Instead of destroying a wall of blocks, you try to keep the stack of blocks standing as long as possible. Grab a block by holding on to it with the A button and carefully drag it out. It helps to rotate the view around so the pull the piece is straight down or to the side.

Grab a block and carefully slide it out, swing then the whole tower crashes.

Missile Command and Ripoff Arcade
Really! There are levels that remind me in a qwirky way of the Trakball Arcade and the old Vector Space Arcade. In a reverse of perspective view, you are in the sky and the enemy is "tracking" towards your castle on the ground. Protect your crystal blocks from getting "Ripped Off" by the game characters by lobbing bombs at them.

Multi Player
Destroying the other opponent's castle. A well placed throw will cause more blocks to tumble. There are also Hockey or Shuffleboard style games. Hit your blocks to slide into the other players goal posts. You can Knock the other player's blocks off the board by sliding your blocks into them.

Hit the "keystone" blocks at the base to cause the most damage.

Alternate Control
A shame this Easter Egg got dropped, or did it?
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/15/head- ... -boom-blox

Head-tracking feature pulled from Boom Blox

At the Nintendo Media Summit, Boom Blox senior producer Amir Rahimi confirmed that the final version of the game will lack the head-tracking mode. We understand that it was always an Easter egg, requiring gamers to set up Wii Remotes as cameras, and hacking together their own IR LED glasses. But you didn't have to go to TED to see the promise, and we're disappointed to see it removed.

EA wouldn't go on-record to say exactly why the mode was cut, only just confirming it again through public-relations channels. An email statement noted, "Head-tracking was something we considered including as an Easter egg in BOOM BLOX however, we did not end up including it in the final version of the game. ..."

Perhaps EA feared that we'd hack together a candelabra helmet as an IR emitter. They should have; we totally would.

Headtracking Home Brew Hack

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/23/get-y ... r-display/

While other people use the Wii for its intended purposes (playing party games and bludgeoning loved ones), Johnny Chung Lee sees its true potential. You might remember him as the guy who used a Wiimote to set up a Minority Report-esque finger tracking system, or the one who used the same peripheral to turn any surface into an an incredible multi-touch interactive whiteboard.

Further proving that Lee is a reverse engineer from the future, his newest video shows what might just be the next big thing in gaming -- immersive virtual reality displays using, you guessed it, a Wii remote. While this may conjure up bad memories of massive, plasticky helmets and unresponsive controls, Lee's method seems extremely functional, and only requires you to wear a pair of LED-infused safety glasses (which for all we know is the hip style in the futureworld Lee comes from). Seriously, how 'bout it, Nintendo?

Wii Headtracking Hack.png
Wii Headtracking Hack.png (165.91 KiB) Viewed 12594 times

Custom Levels
Adds to replay value. Unlike a lot of custom level creators in games, Boom Blox is very easy to manipulate. You don't even have to stack the blocks neatly. Simply toss objects piled up in a room, choose your block destroying toy and have at it. You can also add objects that you have won from beaten levels. The only downside is no easy way to download user levels. Possibly one could get custom levels from a downloaded game save. The sequel Boom Blox Bash Party reputated as not as good a game, but it does have user custom level downloads. There is also a game by Majesco called Blast Works that also has user made levels for download, I'll review later.

Build - Destroy - Build - Destroy. Easy to do with a Wii Remote.

Get This Game
Don't be fooled in thinking this is just another shovel ware carnival style game, it is a lot of fun! Even if you adamantly hate "Arm Waving" games, get this one and see why sometimes a motion control game can be enjoyable. :mrgreen:

Hats off to Steven Speilberg, I think he really looks at making movies and games with the open eyed wonder in a child's point of view. Brings out the kid in us, in this case something as simple as just demolishing stacked blocks! 8)
Attachments
Boom Blox Table Edition Penny Arcade.jpg
Boom Blox Table Edition Penny Arcade.jpg (133.69 KiB) Viewed 12602 times
Boom Blox.jpg
Boom Blox.jpg (247.22 KiB) Viewed 12911 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

k.vlaros
64-bit

Post by k.vlaros »

Nice feature of one of the few top-rated, Western-developed, Wii-exclusives!

I have the sequel (Bash Party) and I actually disagree on its "general reputation". I think Bash Party is generally reputed to be an improvement. That being said...

I have had trouble getting in to BB BP. It's much less action and more puzzle than I was expecting. Still a good game and I do like puzzles. But to get a "gold" on some of the stages has me completely baffled and figuring it's just dumb luck. But I could be simply that dumb! :? And the signature block bashing mode is pretty fun but I really don't like the marble hitting or slingshot modes.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Wii and Gamecube - Reviews - Mayflash Ps2 to Wii Control

Post by CRTGAMER »

Gamecube MadCatz Pro Pad 5626

A couple pages back, I posted a question concerning 3rd party Gamecube controllers for Turbo AutoFire. I listed out each one with a short description and pics.

The post with GC Controller pics: viewtopic.php?p=519342#p519342

I ended up getting the MadCatz Pro Pad controller. Note this is not the tiny Microcon unit, it is as big as a Gamecube Nintendo Controller. Target and Gamestop has the Pelican brand, but the features on the MadCatz won me over.

Two Z Buttons?
The N64 and Gamecube Z button have always been in an awkward spot as an alternate "Special" button. At first I thought I would have two locations to hit the purple button. As it turns out the purple button above the left Trigger is the "M" programable button used with the separate Macro switch. The manual is not very clear on the M button. It is different from the Macro button located below the Start button.

Identical Analog Sticks
Very close to the Nintendo brand. I wish the Gamecube traditional Hexagon detent stops were not in the Analog sticks. The C stick looks identical.

Trigger Button Click
A lot easier to press in the MadCatz controller. This is a very big plus when the trigger click press is needed for instant action. I really hate having to mash the heavy click of the Nintendo GC controller.

Gamecube MadCatz Pro Pad 5626 Sales Sheet.jpg
Gamecube MadCatz Pro Pad 5626 Sales Sheet.jpg (236.86 KiB) Viewed 12456 times

The Macro Button
The whole reason why I wanted a 3rd Party Controller is for the Turbo AutoFire feature. The Macro button is designed for Combo moves, but can it be made into an AutoFire button?

MadCatz wrote:http://www.madcatz.com/faq/default.asp?Action=Q&ID=88

Programming Macros

1. Press the Macro Button (macro button illuminates red)

2. Press the button to which the macro is to be assigned (macro button will start flashing). The only button that can be programmed is the M button on the top of the controller.

CRTGAMER wrote:Note the M Button is above the left Trigger, the separate Macro button is below the start button.

3. Press the button sequence desired. When a button is pressed the Macro light will stop flashing until the button is released.

4. When finished, press the Macro button again and the Macro light will stop flashing and turn OFF. Note: there is a limit of 32 commands. If you reach this limit the macro light will stop flashing and turn OFF.

5. To use the macro during gameplay, simply press the M button and the programmed button sequence will execute.

Every button press relates to 1/10th of a second in actual game play. In other words, ten button presses would relate to one second of button presses during actual game play.

Combo Moves - AutoFire
Combo Moves do work to whatever is programmed, but a problem. The programed button must be pressed and then RELEASED before the Combo move takes place. The split second delay is no good if an immediate combo move is needed.

AutoFire takes a real hit. For some reason I can't just program say ten repeat presses of a single button. I have to press the Fire button in this case the A button and another button back and forth.

For example: A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B

Problem One
This works very well if the B button is not used in the game. Any button could be used as the "Place Holder" to make a AutoFire button, so if say the Z button is not used, it can become the place holder. The Start button can also be used, but it also triggers the AutoFire repeat speed. So this is workable, but there is a second problem. :?

Problem Two
On a regular Turbo Auto fire button, as soon as you let go the AutoFire shooting stops. However on the programmed Combo Move button, the sequenced moves have to run its course even when the button is no longer pressed. So if I program ten presses of the Fire button, I get ten AutoFire shots even if I let go of the button. For a game like Joust or emulated NES Balloon Fight this kills precise control such as an automatic flap button. :evil:

Conclusion
The MadCatz Pro Pad is very similar in control as the Nintendo controller. A good replacement with the same feel and very similar button layout. However forget using this as an AutoFire. It just is not workable on certain Autofire situations. The press then release button to enable a Combo Move is also an minor inconvenience, a combo should be immediate as soon as the button is pressed. :x

Compared to the Nintendo brand, the MadCatz controller has better triggers due to an easier to press click and a generous longer eight foot cord. I also like the fatter handles with rubber grips. It is a great replacement if ONLY used as a standard controller and not as an AutoFire pad. :?

I bought this used at Gamestop, they have a great seven day try program. I can test this for a week before deciding to refund. I will probably end up getting the Pelican brand after all. The way I collect game controllers like some collect stamps, I will probably keep the MadCatz controller anyways. Never know, I just might need that Macro Combo move feature, for Gamecube seems exclusive to the MadCatz. 8)

MadCatz Gamecube Pro Pad Links
Here is information for any MadCatz Controller owners. The all important Macro Manual PDF is linked. Of note the MadCatz site has other controller manuals too. :mrgreen:

Sales Sheet: http://images.madcatz.com/sales_sheets/ ... layout.pdf

Product FAQ: http://www.madcatz.com/faq/default.asp?Action=Q&ID=88

Manual: http://www.madcatz.com/UsersGuides/5626-mug.pdf

Gamecube MadCatz Pro Pad 5626.jpg
Gamecube MadCatz Pro Pad 5626.jpg (191.31 KiB) Viewed 12456 times

Gamecube Controllers - A very thorough list with pictures
http://tay.kotaku.com/every-gamecube-controller-nintendo-ever-made-ever-1658747867

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:21 am, edited 9 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I had one of those once. Thought it was an uncomfortable piece of shit and the macro button was useless.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

AppleQueso wrote:I had one of those once. Thought it was an uncomfortable piece of shit and the macro button was useless.

The Macro Button together with the left purple M button is easy to program, but confusing without knowing how. Its laid out in the Quotes and PDF links above. I do like the longer cord and the easier to press (for quicker response) of the Trigger detents. The MadCatz is my primary Gamecube controller at the moment because of the light click triggers. 8)

CRTGAMER wrote:I never liked the toothed Analog Stick stops of Gamecube controllers. Most 3rd party GC controllers also have Octagon stops. However, maybe this is what makes the difference? A more accurate control of diagonal and corner directions?

ImageImage
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Cubivore - Gamecube

An appropriately titled Cube Game for the Gamecube.

Wesley Fenlon wrote: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/18/born-for-wii-cubivore

Some games are a little out there. You've got your No More Heroes brand of weirdness, where collecting coconuts is as commonplace as mass murder and sexual innuendo. On another level, there's Katamari Damacy, where rolling entire cities into a ball is a perfectly acceptable way to repair the cosmos. And then there are the games that are so bizarre, so inexplicably removed from the norm, that they transcend weirdness in a way few things ever have. One of the games is Cubivore.

Very Uncommon Game
A lot of tracking down to obtain this game. I am fortunate to get two complete copies! Gamestop shipped not one, but two games in from and to different locations. One was 200 miles away, the other 400 miles away from another state! You can read the full story on this at the bottom of this Thread hidden under the Spoiler tag. 8)

History
Cubivore is a rare chance release. The game was originally a concept to come out on the N64DD Dynamic Drive. The drive had potential for additional data storage and also allowed custom levels in games such as FZero. Unfortunately the proprietary disk drive never caught on, and only a few games were released. Other games that were "disk" slotted for it were shelved.

The game was then redeveloped for the Gamecube in the Japanese market and was titled Animal Leader. Note there was another game on the Gamecube titled Animal Forest, more widely known as Animal Crossing which is a completely different game. Animal Leader had mixed sales so it seemed destined to be forgotten to the Japanese market only. Atlus known for rereleasing unusual Japanese game to different markets picked up on the game, renamed to Cubivore because of the cube shaped characters in the game.

Atlus Game Value and Collectability

Anyone who has played an Atlus game know they are unique. Most are groundbreaking and very good games. Atlus is a game company located in Irwin, California and has the reputation as highly desirable games to collect. So why are Atlus games so hard to find?
Dale North wrote: http://www.destructoid.com/atlus-explai ... 8096.phtml

Atlus explains why their games are a real bitch to find

Ask anyone who missed an Atlus title's launch and attempted to pick it up later how hard finding their games can be. The only thing worse than being the gamer who tries to find the recommended Atlus title "too late" is being the "responsible" game buyer that let a good one slip through the cracks. After being both several times, I started wondering why their games are so damned hard to find.

Luckily, MTV Multiplayer is on the case. They spoke with Atlus public relations lead Aram Jabbari about demand problems, and it turns out that some of the problem lies with the company's size. The small publisher releases only niche Japanese titles, and this forces them to be very conservative with release numbers. “There’s no malice in it,” says Jabbari. “I wish we could produce to demand.”

“It’s a lot better to come up five percent short of total sales, as opposed to having 25 percent excess product. With that [extra] 25 percent, you’re going to have markdowns,” said Jabbari.

Sometimes, things are completely out of their hands. Last year's PS2 title Odin's Sphere was produced to the normal conservative estimates, but when the reviews and word of mouth hit, there were only so many copies to go around, and demand went through the roof. And it seems like the launch of the DS Lite managed to boost demand of Trauma Center: Under The Knife. The game was already about a year old by then.

It doesn't sound like Atlus intends to increase production numbers anytime soon. But, gamers that play these types of games have known that for awhile. I recently had problems finding a copy of Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness for the PSP. I lost my original PS1 copy of Persona, and I'm still desperately looking for a good quality copy. Arcana Heart is already reserved, so I don't have to mess with hunting it down. I pray that Persona 3: FES makes it to my house safely.

My first instinct is to blame Atlus for creating a kind of false demand. But, the more I think about it, the more I realize that their typical release is not even close to a mainstream game, and that they're really taking big risks with every release. And, in the long run, if their conservative releases help them to continue releasing quirky JRPGs and the like, I guess I can continue to preorder and hunt these titles down.

Controls
A page from the manual. Pull stick down to tear off an enemy limb. :shock:

Gamecube Cubivore Manual Page 11.jpg
Gamecube Cubivore Manual Page 11.jpg (142.4 KiB) Viewed 12363 times

Game Play
A completely different game, Animal Leader is focused on raising a creature in the lines of Pokemon, Tamagotchi or Seaman. But this time the creature takes on a quirky shape in the form of cubes and you have a direct control on survival skills.

You start out as a small cube. The enemies are cubes, even the environment has a cubical layout. Oh, this game had to be on the Gamecube. As you explore, eat grass and collect bonus cube hearts. Chase and eat other Cube creatures to grow. Growth is in the form of another cube in the form of limbs and mutation to a new form. Some of new forms can be an advantage such as a longer jump, a better Defense or faster run. Other mutations may be a downgrade depending on the enemies ahead.

You can stick to eating one color to mutate in a certain style. As you beat the boss in each level and collected enough hearts then you can mate. Depending on what creatures are matched up will determine the offspring. You then control the Offspring to continue the quest of exploring, eating, collecting and battling.

The day eventually turns into night. Even the Sun and Moon are cubes! A nice touch, when the Sun comes up the screen flickers and has the sounds of a fluorescent light turning on. :lol:

Most of the bosses also have enemy helpers all teaming up against you. I found a good strategy is to go in just enough to get the enemy's attention and then back off. Just enough to tease the enemy to follow. Then its possible to separate the enemies and do a one on one battle before the rest of the enemy team arrive.

At times escaping and coming back to finish chewing up an enemy is needed. Save confronting the Boss until you first kill off the smaller enemies. Every enemy has a limbs you can chew off which increases your own strength and stamina. Really! You rip limbs off just like a dog tears into the leftover Thanksgiving Turkey bone! :shock:

Dan Jorquerar wrote:http://www.danjorquera.com/articles/best13.html

In my book, this is the Number One Lesser Known Videogame Title of Amazing Awesomeness and Creativity. This gem of a game, released in 2002, is unlike any other game. Everything in the game is made of cubes. Not only does this allow for an amazing framerate, it presents itself in a visual style that is completely original.

You begin as a tiny cube with no limbs - by eating other cube species with limbs, you can eventually evolve into that species. The limbs are usually thin box things that will be feet or wings or what-have-you that will be placed differently depending on the species. For example, the first mutation you go through will give you some kind of leg. If it's in the center of you bottom, you are pretty wobbly but can at least jump a little bit, and if it is stuck on your side corner with your bottom on the floor, it's as if you are quickly dragging yourself along with one arm. There are several stages of evolution, and the game turns into a game of collection to see if you can collect more species types for each stage of evolution. (To collect a species and evolve into it you have to eat it.) There are 100 species, or "mutations," to collect, so even though you can beat the main story in about 15 to 20 hours, it is worth it to go back. To evolve, you have to mate, and get to see a goofy mating scene.

The soundtrack is fun and fits the game perfectly. If you defeat bosses, you get special abilities that place a symbol on your cubed body, and then allow you to run or become camouflaged, among other things. You can "train" your monster with certain objects to develop other aspects of your monster, like running into a wooden horse to grow horns, or pulling on a plank of a bullfrog toadstool thing to increase your tongue, allowing improvement for the Eat-N-Run skill. The goal of the game is to become the most powerful King of the Cubivores, and then face the Killer Cubivore and restore Wilderness, the essence of the land, back to the world of cube monsters.

Everything about the game oozes originality, something video games often lack. The cubed world, though very strange, is fun and beautifully designed. The boxiness of the landscape is suddenly given a reason to be so box-like. The camera can be weird and the music can get repetitive, but it is easily one of the most fun titles on the GameCube despite mediocre reviews, and undoubtedly one of the most bizarre, inventive, and creative titles ever seen.

Cubed Conclusion
The graphics are plain, but adds to the charm. There really is not much going on, I get a sense of an unpolished beta release game. Maybe because of the almost N64 era graphics? Basically you explore, eat, hunt down other creatures and do multiple attacks over and over again. After a while you start over as a new creature and repeat the process again. A little repetetion but the collect all the mutations and see what the next life form might be keeps me going. There is also the satisfaction of finally winning a battle round against enemies and especially the boss when you can chew off the limbs. Bad Dog! :lol:

Why I like Game manuals
Game manuals offer a lot of insight on a game. Not just how to use the controllers but also a background story to set the mood of a game. Some manuals have great art and also sometimes strange. Cubivore has unusual prints inside to discover.

Review from Racketboy member lisalover1
lisalover1 has a site with very good information on the Gamecube. There is a great review of Cubivore at the link in the Quote below, here is an excerpt.
lisalover1 wrote: http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/lisal ... t-1695.php

Image Review: Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest

It seems that there are games for every system that everyone knows about and are simply essential games for owning that system. they are regarded by most as the best games for the system. Then there are games that no one has heard about, but can still be very enjoyable. Cubivore is the epitome of a hidden gem. It is made by Atlus, a company well-known for taking risks, much to the joy of their fans. Cubivore is a game you don't see everyday; it came way out of left field, and is a welcome surprise to Gamecube owners.

Don't go into Cubivore expecting an action game that will knock your socks off, and that you will keep coming back to again and again. I admit it is a bit sub-par when compared to other hidden gem games, but it is still a fun and cool experience. I recommend Cubivore to anyone who wants something very different and out of the ordinary, and who is tired with other action games that all look the same. Cubivore isn't so much an Action RPG as it is a really advanced and brutal Tamagochi game. If that sounds interesting to you, then by all means, go and buy Cubivore.

The game is currently priced at $13.00 at Gamestop. Not a fantastic deal, but not prohibitively expensive for a used Gamecube game. If you're interested, go buy it. I haven't seen this game around very much at all, so it might end up being one of the rarer games for the Gamecube. If you are a collector, you should keep an eye on this one.

Other Strange Games

PS2 Katamari Series - One of the strangest, I reviewed the series.
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&p=326982#p326982

N64 Space Station Silicon Valley - At first I thought Cubivore would play like this game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Station_Silicon_Valley

Dreamcast Seaman - Have a conversation literally with a fish, microphone needed.
http://videogamecritic.net/dcss.htm#Seaman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaman_%28video_game%29

Dreamcast L.O.L.: Lack of Love - Similar to Cubivore, Survive, Eat and Mutate!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.O.L.:_Lack_of_Love

Gamecube Doshin the Giant - Released in Japan and Europe.
My review - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=537000#p537000

Strange that the U.S. got Cubivore and Europe got Doshin. Who knows how marketeers do their research? Both games are mentioned as trophies in Super Smash Brothers Melee.

Image Image

Discarded Couch Sandwich wrote: http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Discar ... 8431.phtml

Depending where you live: Doshin the Giant and Cubivore

Here’s a mystery which all revolved around a deal with Atlus I don’t understand, so wont attempt to reprint here. Two very quirky games for Gamecube that share many traits in common: they both originate from Japan, they’re both definitely for a niche audience, they both had trophies in Super Smash Bros. Melee which is why most people know about them. Also, depending on which territory you lived in dictated what game you got.

Yes, us Brits got Doshin the Giant, while Cubivore remained exclusive to America. Why, I do not know. But the one thing that rings true is that either game may as well not exist in the country it wasn’t released in. I didn’t even know Cubivore got an English translation until I randomly came across it about a year ago. No one talks about it. Its nonexistent.

References

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64DD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubivore:_ ... he_Fittest

Game Manual PDFs: http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?list.9

What I went thru to obtain this game

I posted the Wall of Rant here: viewtopic.php?f=44&p=526960#p526960

A copy is pasted under the Spoiler Tag. Warning this is a Huge Rant:

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY
or the Ravings of an OCD Collector.

Wall of Rant - Oh drink the Coffee and read it.

noiseredux wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Gamestop can ship one to your local store
Maybe use the Website link I posted and try different Zip code searches. Then take the info to your local Gamestop, they have to make the phone call. Gamestop will lose money in the shipping, but they usually will ship if a customer asks. Also helps if you have good rapport with the employees locally.
This isn't a sure-thing unfortunately. It really depends on the employee. I've had GS employees OFFER to order things from other stores for me. I've had other ones flat out tell me that there's no way to even do that. So...

Noise really hit the nail on the head with this statement. There are good employees and bad employees. This started around a month or so ago, I'm leaving the name of the game out to keep the focus of the Topic. I'll post the game in the Video Game Finds later.

Rare Game
I have been trying to find an obscure game for an older console that no Gamestop had within a hundred miles. Just to give in idea, in my local Districts alone there are about fifty Gamestops. Spread this out to the online 100 mile search radius and that is a lot of Gamestops, but none had a copy.

CRTGAMER wrote:You get better results with employee help when the store is not busy. Even better, go in the morning on a weekday when the store is empty. This is important in both the store you visit and any that gets a phone call that might be in a different time zone. :idea:

Okay I set the stage and yes, it would be easier to just go online and buy from PayBay, but Gamestop has the best prices for used games. I was not keen on making another marathon drive as I did in the BUY 2 GET 2 FREE multiple runs last year, especially since this is only the one game. My cell phone has so many minutes a month allotted for Long Distance calls so basically the only cost at my end is time, the local car trip and the purchase of the game.

STORE ONE - THE GOOD
I happened on a Gamestop that was not near my local Gamestop. The employee there came across as very helpful asking what game I was interested in. She showed a genuine interest without slogging me down with all the standard preorder or membership sales pitches. :D

CRTGAMER: "I am trying to get a game but your online has none showing within 100 miles. Is it possible to look further and maybe ship me the game?"
Employee: "No problem." Searches computer. "I found seven stores, let me call to verify."
CRTGAMER: "Any way of finding one with the original Manual?"

Employee then proceeds to call from the list. Asks for a visual and further asks for CIB. All stores report only the game. Each phone call took time between waiting for the employee at the other end looking for the case and maybe also helping their customers. At the seventh call with only a disc showing, I told the employee that was okay, I would buy the game with just the disc.

CRTGAMER wrote:The Gamestop at this location has a professional looking binder with pink slips that is used to call back customers when a game arrives. I guess most Gamestops have these for maybe preorders? I never preorder, but the binder looked to be a lot better then a sticky note stuck behind the counter. So the wait begins.

STORE TWO - THE GOOD
A few days later, I started thinking about that disc only game I have coming in. I really wanted CIB so I asked an employee at another Gamestop to try.

Employee: "Sorry no stores showing within a hundred miles."
CRTGAMER: "Can you try further out?"
Employee: "Got a Zip Code?"
CRTGAMER: "Not off hand, maybe try any further North?"
Employee: "I don't know any."
CRTGAMER: "Try <first two digits of local> with <random last three>"
You can see how this employee has to be encouraged to help. :roll:

He then found the same grouping as the other employee did a few days ago. He called a few stores, even found one with a copy put aside waiting to be shipped out. This confirmed the first store copy might be on the way. Again I pushed for a game with the manual. One of the stores reported back a CIB game! Strange, the other day no store had a CIB. Obviously at one of the distant Gamestops, a different employee took the time to hunt down the game case and manual! After confirming to send the game down, I asked for a printout of that grouping of stores. Got two printouts based on two far away Zip Code searches. I asked the employee to circle the store that would ship it out. Instead of a binder he stuck my name and phone number next to the cash register, this was a concern if the note would stay there. After I got back to my car, I called long distance to the shipping store and thanked the employee for finding a CIB. I also asked if he could put my name and phone number with the game to be shipped down. This way the receiving store with a different employee on the floor will be sure to call me. I was not comfortable that sticky note would still be by the cash register. :?

CRTGAMER wrote:I told all the employees including the one I called long distance who helped that I will submit a direct site survey, the one that requires their District Manager to contact me. This is my way of thanking them with good rapport with them back to their bosses and encouraging a follow thru that I get the game.

Two copies of the same game
I feel like a heel finding a complete game and requesting a second shipment in. STORE ONE had already requested the disc only game, so the wheels have already set in motion and too late to stop that one. In honesty, I don't mind getting a second copy at disc only so I'll pay for that one too when it comes in. This also gave me reassurance in case one of the games came in and did not work. :idea:

Three days later - THE UGLY, BAD and GOOD
I was getting anxious if the only CIB store over 200 miles away had shipped the game yet. This is why I love the Gamestop online site, it shows which store has a particular title on hand. Unfortunately I didn't know which Gamestop was shipping to STORE ONE, but it was not too important, after all it was only the disc not like a complete game going to STORE TWO. In checking online the CIB game still showed the shipping store as having one. Strange, the long distance phone call confirmed the game was set aside. I called the store a second time and got a different employee.

CRTGAMER: "Hi, I'm checking on a game that was set aside to be shipped out."
Employee: "I found the game, my apologies it was never pulled from the shelf."

The game did not get shipped but was put back on the floor for sale! I was lucky nobody bought it. As an uncommon game it was likely placed Front Faced in plain sight back on the shelf. I head exploded inside, but kept my cool and confirmed all the info to ship the game. I didn't even raise a fuss about the other employee, I did not want to jeopardize the shipment of this game. Luckily I have the printout from the store that will receive it with the very important Four Digit Store Number in the heading. The employee again apologized and stated he was the one who does all the shipping at his store so it will definitely be sent out. Okay this is good news, got his name for the Survey Feedback. I also asked that he put my name and cell on the game to ensure I get called when it arrives. The next day, I visited STORE TWO and let the employee there know that I had personally confirmed the game is on the way and to please call me when it arrives. The sticky note with my name and number was still stuck next to the register, a good sign. :)

CRTGAMER wrote:Gamestop can print out a list of stores showing availability but do not include Zip Codes. You can Google Search the city listed to obtain the Zip Code. This helps in doing your own far location search at the Gamestop site

THE OUTSTANDING PART 1
I received a phone call later in the evening, the same employee personally called me back Long Distance and told me the game was getting ready to be shipped out! He was calling to make sure of the store to receive. I thanked him and checked online the next morning. YES, the shipping store now did not pop up in the listing of stores for the game. :mrgreen:

THE OUTSTANDING PART 2
The next day, really the very next day this takes place. Remember that helpful employee with the nice binder from the STORE ONE? The one that I was not really concerned with any more since it was just a disc incomplete game? If it came in I still would have bought a backup though, a good price even if only a disc. The same friendly employee at the start of this calls me back and apologizes that the game never got delivered. Keep in mind this has been over three weeks ago. She then states she remembered how I wanted a complete game and found one for me 400 MILES AWAY! She let me know I'll get a call once the game arrives. I now have a second CIB on the way!! :!: :shock: 8)

The Long Awaited Call - THE GOOD
I received a phone call from STORE TWO, the game had just arrived from the shipping store I confirmed a few days prior. This happened on Friday morning before the Friday night and weekend onslaught of customers. Of all days, I was too far away, stuck with my wife's family. I asked the employee to please HOLD and HIDE the game till the next day, hoping I could get there that night. I have almost come to the end of the battle fearful of losing the game at the end, the reason why I made this Encyclopedia of a post while waiting in dreadful anticipation. Its really true Grass Always Greener, and I'm stuck in the mud waiting! Have I reached the word limit yet? :lol:

Epilogue Part One - THE VERY GOOD
I couldn't stand it, would the game be there the next day or would a different employee stock the game on the shelf to be lost to the Saturday rush? I made it to Gamestop STORE TWO late that Friday evening and picked up the game. The store was packed and I feared the worst. The employee who initially placed the phone call was there and recognized me, stated he has it! The game is in perfect condition with a Clean Crisp Manual inside. I shouted out my excitement right in the store how Gamestop took care of me to the other customers waiting in line. This game was shipped from another Gamestop over 200 miles away! As for the other Gamestop, STORE ONE, I am expecting another copy of the game. I eagerly will buy the second CIB of the same sought after game. I would even buy the second one at disc only because of all the Gamestop employees efforts. I'll post the game and hopefully both copies in the Video Game Finds after a proper review and pics are put together. :D 8) :mrgreen:

Epilogue Part Two - THE GOOD
I'll post an update here once I get a second copy of the game. Another wait but not as nail biting as the first copy. :D

EDIT UPDATE
Just got a call the game came in! Too late to run out there, I'll pick it up tomorrow. Luckily its only Wednesday night so the store should not be too crowded. The same employee called me, so I know the game will be put aside for me. Oh never mind, I drove out the same day late in the evening, too risky to lose a game delivered from over 400 miles away! :shock:

The game had a big note taped to the cover: "DO NOT SALE HOLD FOR ****" 8)

I now have two pristine copies of an uncommon game, pics and review to follow. :mrgreen:

CRTGAMER wrote:All employees involved get a Direct Feedback which ensures both Corporate and more importantly their own District Manager is made aware of their good service. A simple checkoff of The District Manager to Contact Me ensures this.

Here is the direct Gamestop link that bypasses the survey. Post any Good, Bad and Ugly:
http://mfisurvey.marketforce.com/GameStop/IndexCC.aspx

Take care of any good help, be sure to state its a Positive Feedback and click the District Manager Contact.

gtmtnbiker wrote:I'm curious to know the name of the game and if it was worth the hassle. I would have gone with Ebay or the forums.
noiseredux wrote:I cannot believe I read that whole thing and still don't know game it was.
Pichu wrote:Goddamnit I want to know what the game was! :x

*goes to refresh Video Game Finds over and over*

Very Hard To Find
Find yours, Good Luck: http://www.gamestop.com/gc/games/cubivore/23779
There are no Cubivore games at any Gamestops within a 100 miles of my location.

CRTGAMER wrote:EAT EVERYTHING!
If Pacman was a cube in an open world GTA environment, it would be this game! :lol:

A comparison of Gamestop Labels
Remember the older white ones before the membership duel pricing was printed? Going back further remember the yellow tags that showed an easy visual indication of used merchandise? Note the yellow tag after I pulled the white label, the game at one time retailed used at $39.99.

Was this very rare game sitting in the store shelf for sale since 2006?! :shock: :?:

Gamestop Price Tag 01.jpg
Gamestop Price Tag 01.jpg (152.48 KiB) Viewed 12363 times

CRTGAMER wrote:Double Vision
One game was shipped from 200 Miles away, the other from 400 miles away! A total of 600 miles distance to obtain two CIB games! No Players Choice here, Atlus games usually have a small one time production run. Coupled with the fact that this game is so unusual to a niche audience and the Gamecube console having a shorter life then most consoles, Cubivore is destined to be a true collectible. I'm keeping both, good to have a backup of a rare game. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Gamecube Cubivore Double Trouble.jpg
Gamecube Cubivore Double Trouble.jpg (245.63 KiB) Viewed 12363 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 9 times in total.

god
64-bit

Post by god »

Thanks a bunch for that. I had never heard of the game before but it looks excelent, and I adore those bizarre pics from the manual! This gives me a reason to research the playing of imports on the 'cube, as I'm in PAL land.
Big Zenny Hustler
The Last Horseman
128-bit

Post by The Last Horseman »

I have Cubivore. I bought it around 2005 or so, cost me around $19 dollars or so. Money well spent. I really like it. I've looked into Doshin a time or two, but I don't see it being worth importing. Too much trouble.
Systems: Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, N64, Gamecube, Xbox 360

WTB: Boxes for a silver Gamecube System(and a hyperport cover), and a box for an Ice Blue N64 console. Will pay 7.50 for each and shipping.
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

I've had my eye on Cubivore for quite some time now, but like you stated - it's extremely hard to find copies in the wild. Ordering it online is always an option, but I always end up spending my cheddar towards something else.

I have a friend who works at GameStop - I wonder if he has the pull to try and get a CIB copy shipped like that. CRT, if you don't mind re-telling, how did you manage to get them to actually go through hunting down a CIB copy for you (let alone 2)?
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Wii Gamecube Reviews - Mayflash PS2 to Wii - Cubivore Fi

Post by CRTGAMER »

god wrote:Thanks a bunch for that. I had never heard of the game before but it looks excellent, and I adore those bizarre pics from the manual! This gives me a reason to research the playing of imports on the 'cube, as I'm in PAL land.

You can download the Cubivore Manual PDF, its linked in the Review above. I am curious about Doshin the Giant which only saw a Japan and PAL release. Is it hard to find in Europe?