Wii Gamecube Guide - Emio The Edge as Wii Arcade Stick

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: CRTGAMER trying a current console, yes Hell did freeze over!

Post by CRTGAMER »

Thanks for the Wii game ideas. Boom Blox intrigues me also. But no flames please, everyone has their favorite system. There are too many threads that end up with arguments over what system is the best. If any wants to do that, please just create a new Topic.

BACK ON TOPIC
The games I have from my daughter:
Bully
Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Wii Sports

Definitely will pick up:
House of the Dead 2 and 3
Geometry Wars

I never did like all the silly plastic add ons for the Wii. But now I see a plastic gun attachment adds to the light gun affect for House of the Dead. I mean the Dreamcast Interact gun is huge compared to the Wiimote. I draw the line at the sports and steering wheel attachments though.

So any recommendations for a beefy "Lightgun" housing?
Do the gun triggers wear out the Wiimote buttons?

Realistic weight is not an issue, I can always toss some lug nuts in the base somewhere.

I also rewrote the OP, I hope an amusing read.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

Wombatula wrote:
EllertMichael wrote:WiiBrew.org
My suggestion is to install the Homebrew channel to guarantee the Wii will be still be appealing long after you've exhausted the Wii games that interest you.

I need to crack my Wii open and adjust the disc drive because it's making that clicking "i'm going to fail soon" noise, so these days I use my Wii for emulation and Netflix more than actual Wii games. It still gets plenty of love.

I should probably invest in an NES=>GC adapter...

Does that mod get around the firmware updates that some games require? I want to install homebrew on mine as well but not if it means being unable to play certain Wii games. I've actually thought about buying a 2nd wii. One for homebrew and another for actual Wii games. When the new system comes out next year I can just put the unmodded Wii in my daughter's room depending on how backwards compatible the new system is.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/StartPatch

that application blocks disc and online updates
Wombatula
16-bit

Post by Wombatula »

EllertMichael wrote:http://wiibrew.org/wiki/StartPatch

that application blocks disc and online updates

Sweet, I don't have to have two separate Wiis. Now I just have to figure out how to roll my firmware back and do all this. Time to start reading.
Beware the wombats...

Playing:
PC: The Witcher
GCN: Zelda: The Wind Waker
360: Assassin's Creed 2
PS3: 3D Dot Game Heroes
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Flake wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Really, the tracking is bad? I tried the menu already, the cursor is very responsive moving around the screen. Since the light bar is utilized, I can't picture a dark screen game being less responsive.

As with everything, take blanket statements with a grain of salt.

It depends. Some games have sloppy tracking. Others, like the Metroid Prime games, have excellent tracking. Read reviews and, of course, look at who developed the game.

The Wii's weak online service is going to be a real boon to us retro gamers in the future - very little of the Wii's catalog was designed with online in mind as the central feature of the game. So the Wii's library will stay viable long after the servers go dark.

Are you looking for recommendation of good, non-motion sensing games?

Am I missing something here? What servers? It's all P2P.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

irixith wrote:Don't get too excited about light gun games on the Wii. All suffer from the poor tracking of the Wii remote, and if you've played with a proper light gun before, you're going to be disappointed.

Total B.S. from what I've played. All the HotD games and RE rail-shooters play just fine for me. I believe the HotD games allow you to customize the targeting to where you don't use a reticle so it's more like an arcade experience.

CRT, get something like this for light-gun games.
Harvey
24-bit

Post by Harvey »

I've never had problems with the Nyko Perfect Shot messing with the Wii triggers. I'm so glad I bought two of these a while back. I really liked House of the Dead Overkill and Dead Space Extraction. Both are super gory, the former is tongue in cheek, the latter has a serious story.

I also really enjoyed Link's Crossbow Training while using the Perfect Shot. I picked up Link's Crossbow Training for under $5 though I got much more than $5 worth of entertainment. My only gripe is that the poor multi-player mode, where you alternate with other players.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Thanks for the Replies.

Hey, I'm using the Wii right now in this Reply. This has got to be the best value for online on the big screen. The Wiimote works great as a wireless "Mouse" while kicked back on the couch. :mrgreen: Love the onscreen keyboard and use of the gamepad for moving the cursor and the zoomed in page around. It is slower then a regular keyboard so no huge rants. :lol: If I click a Smiley, they appear at the begining of the Reply so a manual entry is needed.

To think I almost bought a Mac Mini for HD online, I saved some cash going this route. Composite is a pain to read, I really need to get some Component Cables for this Wii. :?

@ Opa That buckshot orange gun housing looks pretty good. Might be the one, I'll compare the prices. Any issues of trigger response or wear on the Wiimote buttons when using a gun housing?

@ Harvey Crossbow Training is only two bucks at Gamestop. Thanks!
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon May 16, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Jamisonia
128-bit

Post by Jamisonia »

The Wii honestly has been one of my favorite consoles. I don't understand why people bash it. Here's a partial list of games I own and would highly recommend.

Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime Trilogy (IR tracking and WS makes it better than the GCN)
Smash Bros
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
No More Hereos 1 and 2
NSMBW
DKCR
mario kart
Super mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Sin and Punishment
House of the Dead Overkill

A few other goods ones you should check our are Trauma Center, Sonic Colors, Dead Space Extraction, Resident Evil Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles, GoldenEye, Conduit, Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing.

There's one light gun game I've been itching to try that you might like if you're in to bad movies. Its called Attack of the Movies 3D. It comes with two pairs of 3D glasses, and the reviews of it are horrible. Normally that would turn anyone off, but a game called Attack of the Movies 3D should be horrible I think.

Here's how I think you should approach it. The first game I played was Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3. I think thats a very important order for a non casual gamer to be introduced to the Wii. One because you want to play both games so you're forced to get used to the Wii. Two, because you will be accustomed to the Wii Remote by the end of both games. By the end of MP3 I found that Wii remote's IR pointing at least, was a beloved addition to gaming, and all issues I had with the quirks inherent in a new style of controls I was now prepared for.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Okay, I picked up Link Crossbow Training. It was only$1.99 at Gamestop. Employee was nice enough to let me swap cases around. I now have a good Wii white case for both Wii Sports and the Crossbow game. Neither originally came with the white DVD case. the Link cardboard cover fits in the case book holder nicely. I'll print some cover inserts for each off Google Images. :mrgreen:

On the test, looks like I don't need that plastic gun shell. the Wiimote trigger is good enough for me! No problems at all for sensitivity either. The Wii is dead accurate, surpassing the Dreamcast in moving the sight around. 8)

I also poked around who has the best deals LOCALLY for a Wii component cable. Looks like 3rd party cables new are twenty bucks. Gamestop has any brand used at twenty bucks. Looks like a hunt for a Nintendo brand used is the best option. :?

Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

Monster Hunter Tri

At least thats the Wii game I have been wanting :)
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739