Wii Gamecube Guide - Emio The Edge as Wii Arcade Stick

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Re: CRTGAMER trying a current console, yes Hell did freeze over!

Post by sevin0seven »

Flake wrote:Street Fighter IV today?

on 3DS? i'm down. 8)
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Another point to ponder. I always wanted to casual browse online on the big screen. Actually managed once, going dial up with the Dreamcast getting a "BBS" type of text screen. I have been kicking around the idea of a Mac Mini, but now I have a current gen console that bridges this gap. :mrgreen:

So would the Wii allow me to Google long after Nintendo online support goes away to the next newer console? :?

Maybe I'll look into the Homebrew stuff too, already experimented with Gamecube SD Gecko. :D
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sun May 15, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

CRTGAMER wrote:So would the Wii allow me to Google long after Nintendo online support goes away to the next newer console? :?

There's the Internet Channel powered by Opera. but as far as I know there will be no further updates to improve compatibility. which is why Nintendo refunded everyone's points who originally paid for the channel? I think it can still be found for free in the Wii Shop channel
Wombatula
16-bit

Post by Wombatula »

EllertMichael wrote:WiiBrew.org
My suggestion is to install the Homebrew channel to guarantee the Wii will be still be appealing long after you've exhausted the Wii games that interest you.

I need to crack my Wii open and adjust the disc drive because it's making that clicking "i'm going to fail soon" noise, so these days I use my Wii for emulation and Netflix more than actual Wii games. It still gets plenty of love.

I should probably invest in an NES=>GC adapter...

Does that mod get around the firmware updates that some games require? I want to install homebrew on mine as well but not if it means being unable to play certain Wii games. I've actually thought about buying a 2nd wii. One for homebrew and another for actual Wii games. When the new system comes out next year I can just put the unmodded Wii in my daughter's room depending on how backwards compatible the new system is.
Beware the wombats...

Playing:
PC: The Witcher
GCN: Zelda: The Wind Waker
360: Assassin's Creed 2
PS3: 3D Dot Game Heroes
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

the Wii was my first Current Gen system, and strangely -- I'm not a big fan of it. I mean I like it. But really we use it for (A) light gun games, (B) Netflix, (C) a GameCube.
Wombatula
16-bit

Post by Wombatula »

noiseredux wrote:the Wii was my first Current Gen system, and strangely -- I'm not a big fan of it. I mean I like it. But really we use it for (A) light gun games, (B) Netflix, (C) a GameCube.

If you're not a fan of motion control then you probably won't enjoy all it has to offer. My kids LOVE Carnival Games, Wii Sports, Worms, Epic Mickey, Mario Kart Wii, and Rayman: Raving Rabbids. I have to admit, I do as well, not to mention the Resident Evil games, Super Mario Bros Wii and Zelda: Twilight Princess.
Beware the wombats...

Playing:
PC: The Witcher
GCN: Zelda: The Wind Waker
360: Assassin's Creed 2
PS3: 3D Dot Game Heroes
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

noiseredux wrote:the Wii was my first Current Gen system, and strangely -- I'm not a big fan of it. I mean I like it. But really we use it for (A) light gun games, (B) Netflix, (C) a GameCube.
I think my main use will be the "Lightgun" games, a feature lost on the Dreamcast when I went to the HD CRT. At least the Dreamcast lightgun does work on the VGA CRT monitor. Sadly I can't get PS2 Vampire Nights to work.

I already have some PS2 to Gamecube adaptors and my modded Blaze Dual Shock Arcade Stick. I am anxious to try a Geometry Wars that JT recommended. Robotron gameplay with authentic Red Ball Sticks with a simulated vector screen!

Also nice knowing I may finally Google on the big screen, just have to snag some Component cables. Now why did I point out to a Gamestop several months ago they had a Wii Component Cable in a "Gamecube Used Component Cable" $2.99 bag? :?

@ noise - I have a Component Cable for the Gamecube already. Any advantage of playing a Gamecube game on the Wii?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

CRTGAMER wrote:
@ noise - I have a Component Cable for the Gamecube already. Any advantage of playing a Gamecube game on the Wii?

nah yr good with the GC component.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

noiseredux wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:@ noise - I have a Component Cable for the Gamecube already. Any advantage of playing a Gamecube game on the Wii?
nah yr good with the GC component.

Okay good to know, thanks!

EDIT UPDATE
Okay maybe 2012 is approaching? Noise has a PS3 and I have a Wii. :lol: :lol:

mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

I don't use my wii for anything online - eventually capcom/tatsunoko, but so far nada - wait, exception, netflix for the kids.

With that - all the kids had them, so of course, my kids wanted one - we have quite a few games we play regularly.

Here is a brief list of games, that have no issues w/motion controls that we've found, and for the most part are exclusive (and clean) for the kids.

Kirby's epic yarn, Ivy the Kiwi, The Munchables, Elebits, De Blob, Boom Blox, Smash Bros Brawl, Kororinpa Marble mania (amazing use of motion controls - my fav game on wii), active life explorer, wii play lumberjacks, wii sports, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Mario Kart, Flingsmash, and more. Safe, clean, good use of motion sensor - no issues on that front, get in/get out fun...and if your kids are young young, I recommend Diegos Dinosaur, Toy Story 3, Pajama Sam, and Dr. Fizzwhistles animal rescue.

And with all that - my kids will ask to play saturn, dreamcast or most often, neo geo as much as they want to play wii. They never ask to play ps3 for what that's worth.