Scratch Disc - Sticker Removal - Case and Disc Repair Guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
harper
Next-Gen

Re: Polish Disc - Marker Sticker Removal - Case and Disc Rep

Post by harper »

Here are some before and after pictures of some games that I cleaned up using the blowdryer method and a tiny bit of goo-gone when needed...

Chameleon Twist Before:

Chameleon Twist After:

Aero Gauge before:

Aero Gauge after:

Of course that "03" that was carved into Chameleon Twist is a different story. haha
I just figured this would be a good place to share a couple of things I proudly fixed up a little. :D
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

youtoo wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:The products labeled Plastic Cleaners will not remove any heavy scratches, go for the Polish. I use Plastic Polish designed for automotive convertible top plastic windows, have pretty good luck.

Any really bad deep scratches first get the Disc Doctor Treatment described in the OP. I then get rid of the doctor swirl marks by hand rubbing in the convertible top polish, let dry and buff off. :D
I thought you had to apply Plastic Polish AND THEN Plastic Cleaner...

With what do you buff off the Plastic Polish?

The cleaner is for the initial clean before the polish work, I guess you could use it afterwards though. I don't use Plastic Cleaner, just the Polish. Wait until the polish is completely dry to a white haze, then hand buff off with a cotton cloth.

harper wrote:Here are some before and after pictures of some games that I cleaned up using the blowdryer method and a tiny bit of goo-gone when needed...

Very nice! I have a preference to LiftOff 2, but either Label remover is fine. That carved in number is a pain, maybe a little plastic glue applied, let dry and sanding the cart case off? The number will still be seen, but at least the case will look better smoothed off.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

ujnhunter
64-bit

Post by ujnhunter »

Just wanted to tag this thread because it is really well done. Thanks OP!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

ujnhunter wrote:Just wanted to tag this thread because it is really well done. Thanks OP!
Thanks! Let me see if I can add to the Guide. :D

OP Updated - Cart Label Replacement

I replaced a label on a Gameboy Advance Cart, see the OP for the details.

Game Cart Label Repair 01.jpg
Game Cart Label Repair 01.jpg (217.33 KiB) Viewed 5919 times

Game Cart Label Repair 02.jpg
Game Cart Label Repair 02.jpg (93.19 KiB) Viewed 5919 times

Game Cart Label Repair 03.jpg
Game Cart Label Repair 03.jpg (194.56 KiB) Viewed 5919 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

pumpkinpie65
24-bit

Post by pumpkinpie65 »

I just found this thread while trying to figure out what was happening to my jewel case that I was trying to clean with goo gone....

I can attest to the fact that goo gone DOES fog up jewel cases.. :oops:
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Polish Disc - Sticker Removal - Case and Disc Repair Guide

Post by CRTGAMER »

pumpkinpie65 wrote:I just found this thread while trying to figure out what was happening to my jewel case that I was trying to clean with goo gone....

Any of the harsh chemicals such as Goo Gone or Lift Off will damage the brittle plastic of CD Jewel cases. Stick with oils such as Cooking Oil or WD40 and let it soak into the glue.

It is strange that the clear plastic on DVD cases are more durable and not damaged by Goo Gone and Lift Off.

tbschen

Re: Polish Disc - Sticker Removal - Case and Disc Repair Gui

Post by tbschen »

Great topic here, I might consider trying to remove some of the scratches of my older game disks :)

Does anyone of you have some close-ups from before/after of CDs?
Last time I tried to remove tiny scratches, the whole back of the (PS2)-DVD was milky (tried the toothpaste-trick). The DVD still worked, but it's not what I expected :?
I aim for cleaning my PS1 and PS2 games, any exact product you can suggest?

Also, I would like to remove few scratches from my PS1 jewel cases, if possible. But is that even possible? I don't want them milked out, so what kind of product shall I try?
ice445
24-bit

Post by ice445 »

pumpkinpie65 wrote:I just found this thread while trying to figure out what was happening to my jewel case that I was trying to clean with goo gone....

No it doesn't, I've cleaned literally dozens of jewel cases with Goo-Gone (The standard, lemon/orange fresh scent version) and never had one fog up on me.

Mr Clean's Magic Eraser however, does indeed fog them up badly.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Scratch Disc - Sticker Removal - Case and Disc Repair Guide

Post by CRTGAMER »

UPDATED THE OP
I bought replacement chemical to replace my almost empty trusty bottle of Megiars #17 used for removing scratches from my game and movie discs. I compared two brands with different description labels.

Take a guess which bottle works better, the Polish or the Cleaner? See the OP. :?:
Attachments
Meguiars Mirror Glaze Plastic Cleaner M1708 MGH-17 - Mothers Plastic Polish MO-6208.jpg
Meguiars Mirror Glaze Plastic Cleaner M1708 MGH-17 - Mothers Plastic Polish MO-6208.jpg (152 KiB) Viewed 5129 times

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Polishing Scratched Discs - Removing Price Stickers Guid

Post by CRTGAMER »

emwearz wrote:To remove stickers from game cases I just put a tiny bit of olive oil on my finger and go over the sticker with it, come back in 10 minutes and it comes off with no fuss.

UPDATED THE OP
I removed very old price labels from a couple of Game Guides and off a game cardboard box. Sometimes when a sticker is pulled from a book, cart label or game cardboard box, there is a chance of ripping the print underneath. As emwearz pointed out, the key is to let the oil or cleaner soak in for a while. This method works on any paper surface that has a glossy top which prevents the oil from soaking into the paper underneath.
Attachments
Sticker Removal Game Cardboard Box.jpg
Sticker Removal Game Cardboard Box.jpg (118.89 KiB) Viewed 5000 times
Sticker Removal Game Book Before.jpg
Sticker Removal Game Book Before.jpg (200.1 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
Sticker Removal Game Book After.jpg
Sticker Removal Game Book After.jpg (205.43 KiB) Viewed 5020 times