ATGames Gopher Compatibility List

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
Kyodan

Re: ATGames Gopher Compatibility List

Post by Kyodan »

dl77002 wrote:Hey there! I realize I'm resurrecting quite an old thread - but having just received my Ultimate Portable I'd like to share a few more incompatible games. If anyone has had success with these games, please let me know.

Battle Toads / Double Dragon
Dark Castle
Earthworm Jim 2 (I realize the OP says it does work, but that's not been my experience.)
Evander Holyfield
Knuckles Chaotix
Megaman
Ren & Stimpy
Skithin'
Snake Rattle n' Roll
Sub-Terrania
Virtual Bart

In what ways are these incompatible? I've been able to play Skitchin, Snake Rattle n' Roll, and Battletoads + Double Dragon.

I'll also be using this post to compile a list of other games I haven't be able to play as well:

Clay Fighter - Doesn't load after menu select
Granada - Doesn't load after Sega logo

Additionally, I've been able to correct the music of a handful of games using a wonderful tool found on this Russian site dedicated to the Sega Gopher (name of this system in other regions): http://elektropage.ru/publ/sega_suslik/ ... 23-1-0-113

The program changes the music pitch for a game that uses the GEMS sound engine. It has a preset that adjusts it to sound correct on the AtGames/Gopher devices. As such, I've fixed the following games to sound closer, if not exactly, as they should sound:

Aladdin
Clay Fighter
(even if it doesn't work past main menu)
Comix Zone
Cool Spot
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Eternal Champions
Flashback
Jurassic Park
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
Out of this World/Another World
Shadowrun
Shaq Fu
Taz-Mania
Toejam 'n Earl 2
Vectorman
Vectorman 2
X-Men 2
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Other games that use the GEMS sound engine (thus can be fixed) are listed here: http://segaretro.org/GEMS

Though this device has shortcomings, it has a soft spot in my heart due to its portability and size. If only such a program could correct the pitch of music on other games with different sound engines (as well as implementing a save state feature), then I would be more than happy with this device!