Wii Key - Gamecube SD Gecko - PS2 HDAdvance/HDloader Guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
Hatta
Next-Gen

Re: Gamecube SD Gecko and PS2 HDAdvance/HDloader Guide

Post by Hatta »

That's pretty awesome. Haven't tried this one yet. Is it compatible with games already on the hdd from hdl_svr? I would imagine so.

Doing a quick google, it appears that it can even load ISOs over SMB (windows file sharing). That's pretty remarkable. You can't even do that with XBMC. How well does that work?
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Did you put OPL on the USB memory stick or is it on the FreeMcBoot card? I haven't tried OPL since I always assumed that it was for networking or USB drives. I'll have to give it a whirl.
flamepanther
Next-Gen

Post by flamepanther »

d123456 wrote:Another humongous advantage is that you can quit games and boot into ulaunch with L1, L2, R1,R2, start. (works for most games)
What you then need to do is make a quick launch button in ulaunch for OPL and then click that button. For instance start.

So while playing a game booted from OPL, press L1, L2, R1,R2, start. Then just keep the start button pressed and voila, you´re back in OPL again!
Awesome suggestion! I'm going to have to try that.

Hatta wrote:That's pretty awesome. Haven't tried this one yet. Is it compatible with games already on the hdd from hdl_svr? I would imagine so.
Yes.
Doing a quick google, it appears that it can even load ISOs over SMB (windows file sharing). That's pretty remarkable. You can't even do that with XBMC. How well does that work?
I haven't tried it myself, but evidently it's a better choice than USB, since the PS2 only has USB 1.

gtmtnbiker wrote:Did you put OPL on the USB memory stick or is it on the FreeMcBoot card? I haven't tried OPL since I always assumed that it was for networking or USB drives. I'll have to give it a whirl.
I copied the ELF file onto my memory card, but it works fine when launched from a USB device. If you want to use covers and themes, those need to be on the device that has your games or it won't load them--so mine have to be on an OPL partition on the internal HDD. The ELF file can be anywhere though.
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

OPL loos really good. i'll have to try this. is there a link to the sata adaptor on ebay or somewhere cheap?
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
flamepanther
Next-Gen

Post by flamepanther »

vlame wrote:OPL loos really good. i'll have to try this. is there a link to the sata adaptor on ebay or somewhere cheap?
I got mine at a brick-and-mortar store, so I don't have a link. I tried two adaptors before I found one that worked. They're usually cheap, so trial and error isn't a big deal. The main hassle is figuring out how to cram it into the Network Adapter without making a mess of it. Those knockoff NAs that are SATA by default would look tempting if not for the lack of an Ethernet jack.
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

all they do is open it up and shove the sata to ide thing in it removing the lan port to make room.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

I've done the openps2loader thing, loading the isos over a network. Definitely works better with a fat PS2 than a slim, but it does work for a somewhat decent amount of games. Still, the best bet is to cram a HDD in the old fat PS2.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

Sorry guys, for soft reset in OPL it´s L1, L2, R1,R2, select, start pressed all at the same time.
I had forgotten the select. :oops:

Oh and another humongous advantage is virtual memory card usage. It´s actually quite simple. you just need to make a partition "+OPL" on your hdd. with the hdd tool in ulaunch.
Then you can use the vmc mode. you could create a seperate vmc for every game if you´d want. Just make sure you make the partition big enough!
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... google.com
Last edited by d123456 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

A partition? Oh noes. :? That means I'm going to have to repartition my 500gig drive and restock it with games. Wonder why they couldn't just use a folder for that. Or if games can be loaded over SMB, why not virtual memory cards?
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
flamepanther
Next-Gen

Post by flamepanther »

Hatta wrote:A partition? Oh noes. :? That means I'm going to have to repartition my 500gig drive and restock it with games. Wonder why they couldn't just use a folder for that. Or if games can be loaded over SMB, why not virtual memory cards?
You won't have to do that. PFS formatted drives are a bit weird. Technically, every program that uses a PS2 formatted drive gets its own partition. Each game you have installed is one separate partition, and your HD Loader settings have their own partition as well. You'll just be creating one more partition along with these. Basically, it IS like just using a folder, except you have to specify in advance how much space the folder will use. You can do this easily through the uLaunchELF file browser.

The official OPL homepage has instructions.